This aromatic Low Carb Cinnamon Roll Cake is comforting, crave-worthy, and will feed your desires for something sweet. This cinnamon roll cake has a homemade ooey-gooey cinnamon filling and a cream cheese glaze. You won’t believe it’s keto, gluten-free, and grain-free!
I love cinnamon. It is absolutely my favorite spice for baking. Big plump cinnamon rolls with icing spilling over the edges have always been a special treat in my house. We eat my homemade gluten free Cinnamon Roll Waffles, Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Roll Recipe, or my sugar free Keto Cinnamon Rolls Recipe several times a year.
I also have a habit of pursuing regular recipes on Pinterest and drooling over them. It is a great way to find things I want to convert to fit a keto diet. I knew I HAD to make a healthier version of this cake because I HAD to eat it. And that is when my low carb keto cinnamon roll cake was born.
This easy cinnamon roll cake has all the things you love about classic cinnamon rolls, the frosting, filling, and cinnamon flavor. However, it’s conveniently made in a baking pan, and there is absolutely no rising the dough, kneading the dough, and rising again. I don’t think there could be anything better than that! And you don't need all purpose flour, powdered sugar, or cake mix. You don't even need to make fathead dough. This has the flavor minus the hours of work AND the carbs.
How To Make Low Carb Cinnamon Roll Cake
Making a cinnamon roll cake couldn’t be any easier! Once that first fork full hits your mouth, you are going to be in food heaven. Let’s take a look at these super easy-to-follow directions so you can head in the kitchen and whip this up.
First Step: Warm up the oven to 350 degrees. Then spray a 9x13 baking sheet with non-stick spray.
Second Step: Combine the coconut oil, vanilla, sour cream, eggs, sweetener, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Combine well and spread in the prepared baking pan. This is a VERY thick batter.
Third Step: After that, mix the 1 ½ sticks of melted butter, brown sugar sweetener, almond flour, and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
Fourth Step: Next, pour the cinnamon filling over the top of the cake. Take a knife and swirl the batter. You want the filling to get all the way down to the bottom. It is supposed to be bumpy like in this photo.
Fourth Step: Bake the low carb cinnamon roll cake for 35-40 minutes. When the center is set and no longer jiggles, it’s done.
Fifth Step: Finally, combine the cream cheese, heavy cream, and sweetener together to form the glaze. Spread the cream cheese frosting over warm cake and enjoy!
Cinnamon Roll Cake Tips:
- When possible, use room temperature ingredients. It’s much easier to mix the batter and the glaze with room temperature butter, sour cream, and cream cheese.
- Don’t overbake the cake. If you bake it too long, you can expect it to be dried out and not as light and fluffy.
- Do not mix the batter too much. Overmixing causes tiny bubbles to form, and they pop when they bake. This leads to flat and denser cakes.
Can I Add Nuts To This Cake?
Yep! Of course, you can add nuts to this low carb cinnamon roll cake. I prefer pecans, but walnuts, hazelnuts, or crushed almonds would work too. Sprinkle the nuts on top of the cake before baking, or fold them into the batter. Either way is delicious. Use ¼ - ½ cup of your favorite kind of nut to add some crunch to the low carb cinnamon rolls.
Why Add Sour Cream To Cake?
Using sour cream is a great way to add healthy fats to this low carb cinnamon roll cake. In addition to adding healthy fats, it also gives the cake a creamy and moist texture. The reason why sour cream is such a hit in cakes is that it can make the cake moist and creamy, but it doesn’t make the cake batter thinner. This is exactly what you need if you are wanting a fluffy cake that is moist.
Is Cinnamon Roll Cake Like Coffee Cake?
Yep! It’s the same thing with a different name. The biggest difference is that most coffee cakes are made with gluten and real sugar. My recipe for this coffee cake uses a combination of almond flour, coconut flour, and sweetener.
Coffee cake means that it’s meant to be eaten with a cup of hot coffee. If you are a coffee drinker, you will love this keto low carb cinnamon roll cake recipe with a cup of joe! Or you could sip on a cup of warm tea instead. And if you don’t like those, then eat the cake all by itself.
Cinnamon roll cake and coffee cakes can be eaten at any time of day. Breakfast, brunch, snacks, or desserts are the most common. So slice yourself a piece, sit back and enjoy this amazing low carb recipe after a long day.
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 oz heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Mix together all the cake ingredients. Spread in the prepared pan. This is a VERY thick batter.
- Mix together the cinnamon swirl ingredients. Pour on top of the cake batter. Run a knife through the batter to swirl together the cinnamon filling and cake batter. It will look bumpy. (Check out the step by step photos in the blog post!)
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 min. The center should be set and not jiggly.
- Mix together the glaze and spread on the warm cake.
Irresistible Cinnamon Keto Recipes
- Keto Cinnamon Mug Cake
- Single Serve Cinnamon Roll Waffle
- Cinnamon Roll Ice Cream with Cream Cheese Swirl
- Cinnamon Roll Cookies