The first time I tried Tres Leches Cake at a Cuban restaurant I fell in love. A sponge cake soaked with sweetened milk and topped with whipped cream? It sounded like a dream to me and it tasted like one too.
Tres Leches Cake – Keto, Low Carb, THM S
With company coming for dinner last night and a deep desire to recreate this fantastic cake I got to work. A couple years ago, soon after the Cuban restaurant, I made a tradition flour/sugar Tres Leches Cake. It was really good. I went back and used that recipe to inspire this one. This is loosely based on The Pioneer Woman’s Tres Leches Cake but my version is low carb, grain & gluten free, sugar free, and a THM S.
Tres Leches Cake is rich and moist soaked with sweetened milk and topped with whipped cream.
- 8 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or my sweetener of erythritol, xylitol, and stevia
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup ground golden flax or additional almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 recipe sugar free sweetened condensed milk https://joyfilledeats.com/sweetened-condensed-milk/
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 tbsp Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or my sweetener
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Beat eggs with 1/2 cup sweetener. Stir in almond milk and vanilla. Add baking mix, baking powder, and salt and mix until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and spread to even out the surface.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden and slightly firm to the touch in the middle. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine condensed milk and half and half in a small measuring cup. When cake is cool, gently pierce the surface with a fork every inch or so. Slowly drizzle on the sweetened condensed milk and half and half mixture.
- Allow the cake to absorb the milk mixture for 30 minutes. Meanwhile whip the cream. When stiff peaks form add the sweetener. Spread over the surface of the cake, after it has absorbed the condensed milk. Store in the fridge.