This healthy mug cake is perfect for when you need a sweet treat but don't have the time to bake. My cranberry mug cake is quick, easy, and incredibly satisfying! All you need is your favorite mug and a handful of simple ingredients. Bake it in the microwave for about two minutes and top with whipped cream or keto vanilla ice cream!
Do you love baking? I know how hard it is to find a keto-friendly baked good. My mug cakes are perfect for anyone who wants to enjoy a delicious treat without the carbs and sugar. They’re made with only natural ingredients, so they’ll leave you feeling satisfied and guilt free. You can even make any of my healthy mug cakes in less than 5 minutes!
Are you craving something sweet, but you don’t want to ruin your diet? That’s why I created this delicious grain free keto mug cake recipe that tastes just like a cranberry muffin. It takes only 1 bowl to make, so it doesn't get any easier than that. Plus, it's low carb and gluten free!
With my easy step-by-step instructions, you can whip up one of these delicious single serving treats in no time at all. And if that wasn't enough, each recipe comes with nutritional information so you know exactly what's going into your body. So go ahead - indulge yourself while staying on track towards reaching your health goals!
- Almond Flour - I used unblanched almond flour in this recipe which is why you can see the little specks of brown from the skin of the almonds. It gives a bit of a nuttier flavor and texture than blanched almond flour. Blanched almond flour will work as well.
- Coconut Flour - I use a bit of coconut flour to balance the almond flour since it can be naturally oily.
- Sweetener - My blend of xylitol, erythritol, and stevia works well in this but I do offer other ideas in the recipe card.
- Butter - For a dairy free option you can sub in coconut oil.
- Yogurt - Use coconut cream in place of the sour cream if you need to avoid dairy.
- Egg - Egg is the binder in this recipe and is necessary for a cake texture.
- Baking Powder - Always check that it is fresh so your baked goods rise properly.
- Vanilla Extract - A must when baking. Vanilla enhances the flavor of just about everything.
- Cranberries - Fresh or frozen work equally well.
How to Make a Healthy Mug Cake
It’s so simple, even your kids could make it themselves (and they probably will)! I chose to use cranberries in this mug cake, but you can sub in any fruit, berries, or omit. More variations are below the recipe and complete measurements are in the recipe card.
Step One: Put all the ingredients in a medium-sized mug or large ramekin.
Step Two: Stir together. Make sure to mix the cake batter well.
Step Three: Microwave. Enjoy!
- Fruit - Any fruit will work but if you are using a firm fruit like apple I recommend softening it first. You can just microwave chopped apples with a bit of water until they soften and then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Chocolate - Add sugar free chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, or leave it plain and then drizzle with some chocolate syrup later on.
- Nuts - Chopped nuts are a nice addition to this healthy mug cake. Walnuts, pecans, and almonds can be added.
- Spices - Pumpkin spice, apple pie spice, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom, or nutmeg are nice choices for a warm flavor.
- Herbs - No, I'm not crazy. Adding a tiny bit of rosemary will enhance the flavor of this whole cake. Or try the classic combination of lemon and lavender by adding some finely chopped lavender and lemon zest.
- Frosting - Adding icing turns mug cakes into cupcakes. This one is delicious with my keto cream cheese frosting. Or stir together some maple syrup, a dash of vanilla extract, and a little almond butter or other nut butter and spread that on the top.
- Reduced Calorie Option: Sub in Trim Healthy Mama Baking Blend for the almond and coconut flours. The first ingredient in their blend is oat fiber which is gluten-free and has fewer calories than both almond and coconut.
Can I make this without a microwave?
If you don't have a microwave handy this quick-cooking cake can also be made in the oven! Just bake at 350 for about 20 minutes until it is firm to the touch. Now that's what we call versatile.
Can I use frozen cranberries?
Absolutely. You can see that mine are still a little frosty on the plate. Just cut them in half and add them still frozen.
Can I use an egg substitute?
Possibly. I haven't tested this with any of the egg substitutes or vegan options out there so I can't promise they will work.
What Other Flavors Can I Make?
Check out my other healthy mug cake recipes for desserts. I have a flavor for every one of your cravings and even a single-serve cookie to change things up.
Keto Peanut Butter Mug Cake - sweet peanut butter flavor in every bite.
Keto Cinnamon Mug Cake - fall in a bite. Pairs well with vanilla ice cream.
Cannoli Mug Cake - this is a chocolate cake with a ricotta cream topping.
Keto Vanilla Mug Cake - I love to use this as a base for a strawberry shortcake.
Keto Mug Brownie - the perfect brownie texture in minutes with cocoa powder and almond flour. This is definitely one of my favorite chocolate mug cake recipes.
Keto Lemon Mug Cake - this one is made with coconut flour. It is light and fluffy with a subtle lemon flavor.
AND make sure to get my Mug Cake Cheat Sheet which has 6 Mug Cake Recipes on one FREE Printable Page!
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon butter very soft
- 1 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- tiny pinch salt
- 2 tablespoon cranberries halved
- Mix together all the ingredients in a large mug.
- Microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds.
Connie Mersereau says
Not usually a fan of mug cakes but this one is awesome!!! I love cranberries in anything, thank you for this recipe, Taryn!