Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting is the ultimate topping for Keto Chocolate Cupcakes. This rich and decadent icing on top of dense chocolate cupcakes will be your favorite keto dessert. This easy cupcake recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
Anytime I make a recipe that focuses on chocolate I have five little eager taste testers waiting to lick the mixers, the spoon, and then the bowl. These chocolate cupcakes were no exception. And the chocolate cream cheese icing was ready for even more tastes and little fingers sneaking their way into the bowl.
Specialty Ingredients for Chocolate Cupcakes
Almond Flour – I’ve really come to prefer almond flour in baked goods. It gives a tender crumb in cakes, cookies, and biscuits.
Coconut Flour – Just a little bit of coconut flour goes a long way. Coconut flour helps to balance the oiliness of almond flour since it is naturally drier and absorbs more liquid than other alternative flours.
Cocoa Powder or Cacao Powder – I’m currently using raw cacao powder which can be used for cocoa powder. Costco has Navitas Cacao Powder for a good price. I like the flavor in my baked goods.
Coconut Oil – You can use either butter or Coconut Oil in this recipe – When I use coconut oil I choose to use refined coconut oil to avoid a coconut flavor.
Vanilla – With the price of traditional vanilla extract continually going up I decided to try a Mexican Vanilla Extract and have been happy with the results. It is much much cheaper than other vanilla extracts and tastes the same in baked goods.
How to Make Keto Chocolate Cupcakes
This is an easy one-bowl cupcake recipe. Mix the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, and then mix. You can mix them by hand or with an electric mixer, whichever you prefer.
The easiest way to fill cupcake liners
I love my cookie scoops. I have three different sizes and use them for everything from cookies to cupcakes to meatballs. The largest size is perfect for filling cupcakes. This helps the cupcakes bake evenly since they will all have the exact same amount of batter.
How to tell if cupcakes are done baking
When I’m baking the first thing I notice when my cupcakes are almost done is that my house smells delicious. That chocolate flavor starts to waft out of the oven. Next, the timer normally goes off. When that happens I do two2 things. The first is I gently press the center of the cupcakes to see if they spring back up. The second is I will test them with a toothpick. If it comes out clean they are done.
How to Make Keto Chocolate Frosting
Making chocolate cream cheese frosting is just as easy as making the cupcake batter. First, you mix the butter and cream cheese. Next, you add the cocoa and powdered erythritol. Add a little vanilla and thin with almond milk if necessary.
Your chocolate cream cheese icing is ready to spoon into a piping bag, spread directly on the cooled cupcakes, or just eat with a spoon. Not that I’ve ever done that.
Or try these with regular Keto Cream Cheese Frosting.
Can I use this keto chocolate frosting for cake?
Absolutely! For a two-layer cake, you will need to double the chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe and for a three-layer cake, I would triple it unless you are using a different filling.
What other types of cake and cupcakes can I use this icing on?
Chocolate Champagne Cupcakes with Raspberry Frosting – You can use this frosting on my chocolate champagne cupcakes – leave in the raspberry filling and top each cupcake with a few fresh raspberries for an amazing presentation
Sour Cream Keto Cupcakes – Prefer the combination of yellow cake topped with chocolate icing? This recipe is for you.
Classic Yellow Keto Birthday Cake with Chocolate Icing – You can easily sub this cream cheese icing for the chocolate buttercream on my keto birthday cake.
Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies – Love chocolate and peanut butter together? Fill my peanut butter whoopie pies with this chocolate cream cheese icing!
Love Vanilla? Try this keto chocolate frosting on my Keto Vanilla Cake!
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and spray muffin tins with oil.
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients - coconut flour, almond flour, cocoa powder, sweetener, baking powder and the pinch of salt- until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Add the eggs, unsweetened almond milk, butter, and vanilla extract. Mix for 2-3 minutes until fully incorporated.
- Using a spoon or a ¼ measuring cup pour the batter evenly among the tins.
- Bake for 25 minutes, stick a toothpick into the center of one cupcake to make sure cupcakes are done (they are done if it comes out clean).
- Remove from the oven, carefully take them out of the muffin tins, place them on a cooling rack and let them cool off for at least 15 minutes.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
- While cupcakes are cooling off, in a medium bowl add the softened cream cheese and butter, whisk with the electric mixer for about two minutes until creamy.
- Add the stevia, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, continue mixing until thick and creamy.
- Frosting should be creamy, but not runny. If the frosting it’s too dense add the tablespoons of almond milk one by one.
- Once you achieve the desired consistency, fill a piping bag with the frosting.
- Add the frosting to the cupcakes, start by adding a dollop in the center of the cupcake. Hold the bag perpendicular to the cupcake. Going around the dollop in the center, start frosting the cupcake around the edge. As you complete a full circle, move the piping bag slightly inward to create the next circle, do that for another 2 more circles.
- Storage the cupcakes in a container with a lid.
FREE Mug Cake Cheat Sheet!
Six delicious low carb mug cake recipes on one printable page to keep on the fridge!