My Cumin Chicken Black Bean Corn Salsa should be on your summer menu. This simple dish is full of flavor, low in fat, and packed with healthy carbs.
Cumin Chicken Black Bean Corn Salsa – Low Fat, Healthy Carb, THM E
Anyone who’s been following my blog for any length of time knows that the majority of recipes I create are low carb or Trim Healthy Mama S recipes. I do eat a moderate amount of carbs according to the THM plan but my low fat, good carb meals tend to be very simple.
I’m a lover of all types of fruit so lean meat or cottage cheese for protein plus fruit is my typical THM E meal. I try to avoid grains most of the time so that does narrow down my E choices. I just feel better when I am grain free.
The best part about this Cumin Chicken Black Bean Corn Salsa is that you still have some leftover healthy carbs to use in your E meal. Feel free to pair it with some green veggies and baked tortilla chips or a small fruit salad.
But I do love a good black bean based E meal. My friend Daria first brought over a version of this salsa a few summers ago. Three adults and a handful of kids polished off a big bowl of it. Since then it has been my husband’s favorite summer side dish. It’s one of the few things he will go to the store, buy all the ingredients for, and then come home and make. Daria puts avocado in hers but even though I like avocado I prefer this without.
This black bean corn salsa is also great with baked tortilla chips. That is how my kids like to eat it.
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups black beans drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or other mild tasting oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Rub the chicken tenders with the spices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Add the chicken tenders and cook for about 4-5 on each side until browned and cooked to 160 degrees on a meat thermometer. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Meanwhile, stir together the ingredients for the salsa. Spoon on top of the cooked chicken. Serve.