Bacon smells like Heaven. I love the smell of it wafting through the house. I've made this Cheesy Bacon Chicken twice for company in the last month to rave reviews so I thought I should share the love. With only 5 ingredients and a 5-minute preparation, you will feel the bacon love in no time!
Someone is bound to say, "Something smells good!" whenever there is bacon in the oven. Or maybe four little someones. Bacon is one food that is unanimously accepted by all four of my children.
When my middle daughter turned four we cooked her an entire pound of bacon. It took her 3 or 4 days to eat it but she was in bacon heaven. It is definitely her favorite meat followed closely by Taylor Ham. I grew up calling Taylor Ham pork roll since I lived in the southern half of New Jersey. After marrying my husband and moving to the northern central half he converted me.
I'll never forget when we were driving home from our honeymoon in Canada and we stopped at a diner in Vermont. He tried to order his usual diner fare "Two eggs over easy, Taylor Ham, home fries, and rye toast". The waitress gave him a sideways glance and said, "You ain't in Jersey anymore, honey!"
I think that was the first time I realized that our beloved pork roll or Taylor Ham is a regional specialty.
If you didn't realize yet this Cheesy Bacon Chicken is really easy. The hardest part is shredding the cheddar if you don't have or want to use the pre-shredded stuff.
This is the third recipe in my 5 minute 5 ingredient series. All the recipes have a five-minute hands-on prep time and five or less ingredients. If you missed my Baked Pesto Chicken and Pizza Chicken Casserole be sure to check them out.
5 Minute 5 Ingredient Cheesy Bacon Chicken
Cheesy Bacon Chicken - with only 5 ingredients and a 5-minute preparation, you will feel the bacon love in no time!
- 5-6 chicken breasts (, cut in half width wise (about 2.5-3 lbs.))
- 2 tbsp seasoning rub ((I use my smoked paprika rub, but you can use a seasoning salt or bbq rub - basically any rub with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika - not an herb rub))
- 1/2 pound bacon (, cut strips in half)
- 4 oz shredded cheddar
- sugar free barbecue use (, optional, to serve)
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Rub both sides of chicken breasts with seasoning rub. Top each with a piece of bacon. Bake for 30 min on the top rack until the chicken is 160 degrees and the bacon looks crispy.
- Remove tray from the oven and sprinkle the cheese oven the bacon. Put back in the oven for about 10 min until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Serve with barbecue sauce.