Keto bacon wrapped chicken breast is cheesy, salty, and the perfect weeknight dinner. I love making meals that put a smile on everyone's faces when they hear that is what they are having. This delicious cheesy bacon chicken does just that! With only 5 ingredients and a 5-minute preparation, you will feel the bacon love in no time! This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
When you make this easy cheesy bacon chicken, rest assured that everyone is going to devour it. If you are hosting a dinner party or are just craving some good old fashioned comfort food, then this is the recipe for you. It’s super versatile and goes with all kinds of things.
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast
My bacon wrapped chicken is a bit of a cheat. I’ve found that completely wrapping the chicken in bacon can leave you with soggy bacon on the bottom. It’s easier, and faster, to just lay the bacon on top of the chicken.
The hardest part of this chicken dinner is that you have to wait for it to cook and smell how amazing it is. You will be so hungry by the time it’s finished cooking. Here are the easy steps to get you started:
- Chicken Breasts
- Seasoning Rub
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sugar-Free Barbecue Sauce (Optional)
After you season both sides of chicken, add the bacon and bake until it’s crispy. Then sprinkle with cheese cook a little bit longer and serve with the chicken is cooked all the way through.
That’s all you have to do to make this baked bacon wrapped chicken. Grab your favorite barbecue sauce and eat it up!
Keto Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Recipe Variations
Seriously, everything about this easy bacon chicken is incredible. However, once in a while we like to add in some different ingredients depending on what we have on hand and our moods. Here are a few tips and ideas to try out:
- Chicken Bites - If you want to make bite-sized pieces, cut the chicken in 2-inch chunks. Then follow the rest of the directions. You will want to bake it for 15 minutes then check it to see if it’s done. It will cook faster the smaller the pieces are.
- Jalapenos - Dice up some peppers and add them to the top of the cheese for a little bit of spice.
- Cream Cheese - If you can tolerate dairy, add a small layer of cream cheese on the chicken. It’s so delicious!
- Ranch Dressing - Instead of using barbecue sauce, try my flavorful paleo ranch dressing. Drizzle on top of the cooked bacon chicken for a nice surprise.
- Cayenne Pepper - Sprinkle a little bit with the seasoning mix if you want to add a touch of heat to the chicken bacon recipe.
How Do You Know When Chicken Is Done?
There are several ways to tell if the chicken is done, but the best bet is to use a meat thermometer. Stick the thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken, and it should read at least 160 degrees F. Then you can remove it from the oven and let it rest. It should be 165 degrees F. before you eat it, but it will finish cooking as it rests. When you do this, it will keep it nice and juicy and never dried out.
The chicken breast should come apart easily when it’s fully cooked and be white in the center. If it’s overly pink, bloody or raw looking then you know it should be cooked a little bit longer.
How Long Does Chicken Last In The Refrigerator?
After the chicken has cooled completely, you should store it in the fridge. It will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator as long as you store it properly. Leftovers should always be in an airtight container.
This chicken makes a wonderful recipe for meal prepping. You can make it up and then put it in individual servings for a quick grab-and-go lunch or dinner idea.
Can I Freeze Keto Bacon Wrapped Chicken?
Yes, absolutely you can freeze bacon wrapped chicken. For best results, wrap each piece individually with plastic wrap or tin foil. Then place the pieces in a freezer safe container. This will give it added protection, so it lasts longer. It will last around 4 months in the freezer.
How Do You Know When Chicken Is Bad?
If the chicken hasn’t been cooked yet, you will notice an odor and the coloring will be more of a gray than pink. Never risk eating old raw chicken, because it can make you very ill. If you have already baked the bacon wrapped chicken, then you may notice that it appears really watery when it’s going bad. You may also notice that it smells weird or has mold growing on it. When in question, toss it to be safe.
What To Serve With Bacon Wrapped Chicken
Okay, this keto bacon chicken is so amazing, you can literally eat it all by itself. But, if you are looking for some yummy side dishes to go with it, here are a few of my favorites:
- Zucchini Salad With Lemon & Feta
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Lemon Butter Green Beans
- Almond Flour Keto Biscuits
- Garlic Parmesan Zucchini
For a special side dish try my Keto Broccoli Casserole!
Want more easy chicken recipes? Try my balsamic chicken, creamy lemon chicken, and rosemary chicken!
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook! Love this recipe? Leave a comment & 5-star rating right here! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by getting email updates!
- 5-6 chicken breasts cut in half width wise to make wide, thin pieces (about 2.5-3 lbs.)
- 2 tablespoon seasoning rub (I use my smoked paprika rub, but you can use a seasoning salt or bbq rub - basically any rub with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika - not an herb rub)
- ½ lb bacon cut strips in half
- 4 oz shredded cheddar
- sugar free barbecue sauce (optional, to serve)
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Rub both sides of chicken breasts with seasoning rub. Top each with a piece of bacon. Bake for 30 min on the top rack until the chicken is 160 degrees and the bacon looks crispy.
- Remove tray from the oven and sprinkle the cheese oven the bacon. Put back in the oven for about 10 min until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Serve with barbecue sauce.
Originally Published April 12, 2016. Revised and Republished July 16, 2019.
Debbie F says
Chicken got done, way before the bacon. I had to take the dish out of the oven & finish frying the bacon seperately, then putting it back on top the chicken. Then adding the cheese to melt. Also, I had added what I thought was alot of seasoning on the chicken, however, not much flavor. I felieve this dish has possibility. Next time I am going to try cutting the bacon into bite size pieces & cooking in a pan on top the stove. till about half done, I'll drain the bacon & then addi bite size pieces of chicken that I've seasoned. Stirring along the way to make sure chicken is cooked through. When all is cooked, I'll top with cheese.
Hi Taryn! i LOVE your recipes! Quick question, if i opt to put cream cheese, do i put it in between the chicken and bacon before baking or add it along with the shredded cheese after the first bake? Thanks!
I would either stuff the chicken with it by cutting a flap and filling it or add it along with the cheese at the end.
Oooh the cream cheese stuffing sounds great!! Thank you so much! 💕
Erin V says
Have you tried this in the crockpot?
I don't think it would work well in the crockpot. The bacon would get soggy.
Sooo simple yet soooo good. Brushed a light coating of G. Hughes bbq sauce before adding the cheese.
Araceli Hernandez says
Love it, my husband loved it. Very tasty : )
Do you think I could use chicken tenders with this recipe? If so would I cook at same temperature and same amount of time?
Yes and yes.
These are so good! I've made them twice since I've found the recipe and they are a huge hit with the hubby and kids!
Even though the idea of this recipe was good, most of the bacon never cooked even though I put it under the broiler for 10 minutes. Next time I will partially pre cook the bacon. I will try it again!