Simple ingredients are all that you need to make this Cheese Tortilla Recipe. The best part? Everyone in the family will enjoy eating all that gooey cheese with every bite of these 2 ingredient keto tortillas.
Simple recipes like this are my favorite to make. One of the surprise ingredients for this dish is coconut flour. Adding your favorite type of cheese creates a fun twist of flavor each time. Pair these delicious cheese melts with your favorite toppings, and you've got quite the fun and flavorful low carb treat.
I like to make these cheese tortillas for cravings when I'm craving Mexican food and I don't want to use flour tortillas or corn tortillas. Cooking these up in the frying pan takes minutes, which means I'm chowing down on a simple cheese quesadilla in no time at all.
Shredded Cheese - Some options for cheese could be Monterey Jack, cheddar cheese, Mozzarella cheese, Mexican blend, Pepper jack, and any other pre-shredded cheese that you're craving.
Coconut Flour - This is used to help the tortilla cook into a gluten free, low carb delight.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to Make this Cheese Tortilla Recipe
The recipe card proves how simple this is for a quick lunch and how perfect it is for a low-carb lifestyle.
Toss the cheese of your choice and the coconut flour together in a bowl. Heat a large skillet to medium heat.
Add ½ cup of the cheese mixture into the skillet. Cook until the cheese starts to melt. Press down firmly so that the cheese and flour hold together. Cook until the cheese tortilla is medium brown.
Flip, then press down again. Cook a tad bit longer. They should be golden brown.
Once cooked, put the tortilla onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place it in the oven to stay warm while the rest of the tortillas are cooked.
You must press down on the tortilla as it cooks. This is essential for it to hold together.
- Spicy - If you're a fan of spicy cheese quesadillas, add some cayenne pepper, chili powder, or red pepper flakes to the ingredients.
- Quesadilla - Turn this into a simple quesadilla recipe and add your favorite ingredients and toppings. You can add diced green onion, fresh cilantro, sour cream, and even cooked ground beef on top. Adding refried beans or black beans is a great way to boost the protein intake, and shredded chicken would turn this into the best chicken quesadilla recipe.
- Kid friendly - Let the kids mix and match the cheese to create their own fun flavor.
Be sure to add this Keto Guacamole to your topping list for a fun flavor.
As you can see from the step-by-step photos, you don't need a ton of equipment for this cheese tortilla recipe. A large nonstick skillet and mixing bowl are really the two items required to prep and cook.
Leftovers of this crispy cheese taco are simple to store. Let the leftover quesadillas cool down to room temperature, and then store them in an airtight container in the fridge. For the best results, eat within 1-2 days of storage.
To reheat, add them back to the frying pan for a couple of minutes will heat the entire surface quickly. You can also reheat it in the microwave if you prefer.
You don't have to, but if you're worried that the tortilla mixture is going to stick, a little bit won't hurt.
Yes, my 2 ingredient keto tortillas are much lower in carbs than typical tortilla shells. If you're looking for specific nutritional value, check the recipe card below for the exact information.
For the best results, this cheese torilla recipe is best made fresh. Since there are only two ingredients that are needed to make these cheesy taco shells, making them ahead of time isn't the best. Once you mix, you want to cook right away.
You can use these any way you would use grocery store tortillas. They are most pliable while still warm. So if you plan to use them in a recipe that requires them to roll up I would prep the fillings first and fill them as they are cooked.
I enjoy them in both Mexican dishes and American dishes. In my photos, I filled one with lettuce, chicken, bacon, and a drizzle of ranch. It was amazing.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Cheese Tortilla Recipe
- 12 oz shredded cheese such as mozzarella
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- Toss the cheese and coconut flour together. It may not all stick to the cheese.
- Heat a large skillet over medium.
- Spread ½ cup of cheese into a circle on the skillet.
- Cook until it starts to melt and the edges are light brown. Press down firmly. This is very important to make the tortilla hold together. Cook until medium brown.
- Flip. Press down. Cook a few minutes longer.
- Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Place in a warm oven while you continue cooking the tortillas.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it to your inbox. Plus get great new recipes from us every week!
By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails from Joy Filled Eats