My Tagalong Cookies are creamy peanut butter chocolate cookie masterpiece. They are gluten-free, egg-free, grain-free, sugar-free, keto, low carb and a THM S. You can enjoy this girl scout cookie makeover without any guilt!
You should all be very happy that I don't like football. While most of America was sitting on couches watching the Super Bowl way back in 2016 I was in the kitchen experimenting and this was the result!
I haven't had a real girl scout Tagalong cookie (are they still even called that?) in many years but I remember them vividly. Tagalongs were one of my favorite girl scout cookies as a teen. Samoas still win as my favorite but these tied in second place with Thin Mints and Trefoils. I'm probably dating myself using the names from my own Brownie days.
These Tagalong cookies are really good. Even my husband said they were delicious (I popped one in his mouth during a commercial).
What are Tagalong Cookies
Tagalong Cookies were a cookie sold by the Girl Scouts for years and years. They have since been renamed but the recipe has stayed the same. Tagalongs have a shortbread cookie base, a layer of sweetened peanut butter filling, and a chocolate coating.
How to Make Tagalong Cookies
First Step: Make shortbread dough in your food processor using almond flour, butter, and sweetener. I also add gelatin to help bind the cookies without eggs. Using egg makes almond flour cookies softer whereas gelatin helps get a crisper texture.
Second Step: Roll out the dough and cut circles. You can use a narrow glass like a champagne glass or a round cookie cutter.
Third Step: Transfer the cookie dough circles to a lined baking sheet.
Fourth Step: Bake the cookies.
Fifth Step: Make the peanut butter filling and spread on the cooled cookies. Freeze until firm.
Sixth Step: Coat the cookies with chocolate.
Is peanut butter keto?
Yes, as long as you choose peanut butter without added sugar. Creamy peanut butter works best in this recipe.
What kind of chocolate should I use?
These are not super sweet. If you have a real sweet tooth use sugar-free milk chocolate instead of 85% dark chocolate. You can really taste the chocolate so make sure to use one you love.
How to Melt Chocolate in the Microwave
Start with thirty seconds and then stir. Continue microwaving for thirty seconds increments and stirring after each until the chocolate is 75% melted. Then just stir until it is all melted.
More Low Carb Girl Scout Inspired Treats:
And try my simplified bar version of this recipe: Tagalong Cookie Bars recipe!
Shortbread Cookie Layer:
- ¾ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- pinch salt
- 4 tablespoon cold butter cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ tablespoon water
Peanut Butter Layer:
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2-3 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 1 teaspoon glucomannan (optional)
- 1 teaspoon peanut flour or almond flour
- Preheat oven to 325 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the almond flour, sweetener, gelatin, and salt in a food processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and vanilla and pulse until tiny crumbs. Add the water and pulse until a dough forms. This may take 2-3 minutes.
- Put the dough between two sheets of waxed paper. Roll it out about ¼ inch thick. Using a 2-inch circle cookie cutter or a narrow upside down glass cut out circles. Lift gently with a spatula and put on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Reroll the dough and make circles until you use it all. You will get about 20 cookies.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
Peanut Butter Layer:
- Put the peanut butter in a small bowl and sprinkle the glucomannan on slowly whisking between each sprinkling. Add the sweetener and peanut or almond flour. Whisk well. Spread the peanut butter filling on the cookies. Freeze until firm.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave. Start with thirty seconds and then stir. Continue microwaving for thirty seconds increments and stirring after each until the chocolate is 75% melted. Then just stir until it is all melted.
- Put one frozen peanut butter disc onto each cookie. Drizzle with melted chocolate covering as much as possible. Using a knife or offset spatula make sure the sides are covered. At this point, I lift onto a different piece of waxed or parchment paper to get cleaner edges. Refrigerate to set the chocolate. Enjoy your Tagalong cookies!
Originally Published February 8th, 2016. Revised and Republished March 15, 2020.