This Keto Coconut Cream Pie is somewhere between a coconut custard pie and a Samoa cookie. With layers of chocolate, caramel, and a cookie crust, it will be your new favorite dessert. My Chocolate Caramel Coconut Cream is also low carb, sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
I have a thing for Girl Scout cookies, and I have to admit it. I haven't actually bought any in years, but their flavor combinations are spot on. And at the top of the list is the Samoa. I just love coconut so coconut plus caramel plus chocolate? Perfection. While you are at it, don't forget to check out my Easy Samoas Cookie Bars or if you are feeling like peanut butter, try my Tagalong Peanut Butter Cookie Bars.
My inspiration for this recipe was from a video going around on Facebook of a high carb Samoa Pie. I didn't even watch it all the way through before I knew I had to make my own version. So this is very loosely based on this recipe from Averie Cooks. My friend Sarah over at My Montana Kitchen saw the same video and also made a low carb coconut cream pie recipe. You can see her take here. Great minds think alike!
How To Make Keto Coconut Cream Pie
Everything about this heavenly gluten free coconut cream pie is amazing. Homemade caramel, delicious crust, coconut milk filling, and some melted sugar-free chocolate chips to sweeten the deal. Let's get started so you can make this coconut cream keto pie. This special homemade coconut pie has not one but two layers of chocolate. I put one layer on top of the crust and then another layer on top of the coconut custard layer.
And, most important it has an easy, delicious, press-in pie crust. I love press in pie crusts. Despite the cute rolling pin in my logo, I prefer not to have to break out my grandma's rolling pin at all. Let me smush the dough with my fingers, and I'm happy. Dump in the crumbs. Smush. Bake. Crust success.
Step 1: Get the oven heated to 350 degrees F.
Step 2: Begin making the caramel by combining the coconut milk, sweetener, coconut oil, and molasses in a small pan. Use medium-low heat and occasionally stir, so it doesn't burn. You will need to cook it for around an hour until it has thickened. Add in the caramel extract.
Expert Tip: If you do not need this keto coconut cream pie recipe to be dairy-free and you are pressed for time, you can sub in this caramel sauce that cooks in 10-15 minutes. You can also sub in my 3-ingredient keto pie crust if you can have butter.
Step 3: While the caramel is cooking, combine the almond and coconut flour together. Add in the coconut oil, three tablespoons of sweetener, gelatin, and vanilla in a food processor. Combine until you end up with crumbs. Then press the crust into the bottom of a pie plate. Bake the crust for 15 minutes and remove it from the oven.
Step 4: Then add ⅓ cup of chocolate chips and allow them to melt. Spread out the chocolate using a spatula.
NOTE: Don't worry if there are crumbs that get into the melted chocolate. Just keep spreading until the entire crust has been covered.
Step 5: Mix together the canned coconut milk, shredded coconut flakes (make sure to use unsweetened coconut flakes), eggs, sweetener, and coconut flour into a large bowl. After it's mixed, spread it on top of the chocolate covered crust. Bake the coconut cream pie for 35 minutes.
Optional: Broil the pie for 2-3 minutes to toast the coconut on top. Toasted coconut has such a nice flavor I do recommend broiling the pie before adding on the caramel. Be sure to keep a close watch when broiling because it will burn quickly.
Step 6: After the custard is baked comes my favorite part. Pouring the rich caramel sauce all of the top of it. Mmmm! You will need to poke holes in the top of the pie with a skewer or fork. Then drizzle on that homemade caramel.
Add some melted chocolate to the keto coconut cream pie and refrigerate it for 2-3 hours until it's chilled. Enjoy!
Keto Coconut Cream Pie Tips
Everything about this keto coconut cream pie is perfection, but I did want to give you a few helpful tips to make it even better.
- Don't overcook the caramel. When making the caramel, it's essential to cook it low and slow. If you try to speed up the process, it will burn, and you will end up with a real mess on your hands.
- Don't skip pre-baking the pie crust. If you skip it, then you will most likely end up with a mushy crust, and no one wants that.
- The presentation is everything. Making the coconut pie in a glass pie pan adds to the presentation. I purposely made this coconut pie recipe in a glass pie plate so you could see the layers. Notice in the photo below before the final chocolate drizzle—so much deliciousness in one pie plate.
Variations and Substitutes
Classic Coconut Cream Pie - Simply skip the chocolate and caramel! If you can have dairy whip some heavy whipping cream and spread it on top and then sprinkle on some additional toasted coconut flakes. If you can't have dairy make coconut whipped cream instead of heavy cream whipped cream.
Nut-Free - Sub in sunflower seed flour in place of the almond flour in the crust OR just make this crustless. If you go crustless be sure to grease your pie plate very well or line with parchment paper.
How To Store Coconut Cream Pie?
While it's entirely up to you, I prefer this homemade keto coconut cream pie to be cold. You can technically leave it at room temperature, but I don't really recommend it. The flavors from the coconut filling along with the chocolate are insanely good when it's chilled. The cream pie will last in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Keep in mind it's not made with a bunch of preservatives, so they tend to age a little faster than a store-bought carb-filled version.
Additionally, you can freeze leftover cream pie in an airtight container. I recommend wrapping it in plastic wrap and putting it inside another container. This will add another layer of protection against the harsh cold of the freezer. Thaw in the fridge overnight before serving. You could also set it on the counter for a few minutes and eat it frozen too.
Does This Keto Coconut Cream Pie Taste Like A Girl Scout Cookie?
Sort of! While it tastes very, very similar to an actual Girl Scout cookie, it's not identical. It has all the key elements of a Caramel Samoa cookie like the coconut, chocolate, and ooey gooey caramel, but it's a pie after all.
I hope you love this sugar free Keto Coconut Cream Pie recipe!
- ½ cup sugar-free chocolate chips melted
- Preheat oven to 350.
- First, you are going to get the caramel going. Combine the coconut milk, sweetener, butter flavored coconut oil, and molasses in a small saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and browned. About 1 hour. Stir in the caramel extract.
- Meanwhile, combine almond and coconut flour, coconut oil, 1.5 tbsp sweetener, gelatin, and vanilla in a food processor and pulse until crumbs form. Press into the bottom of a deep-dish pie plate. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the ⅓ cup chocolate chips on top. Let sit for 3-4 minutes until they have melted. Gently spread with a spatula. Some crumbs from the crust will get mixed in but keep gently spreading until the chocolate covers the crust.
- Combine the filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Spread on top of the chocolate covered crust. Bake for 35 minutes. Optional (but recommended): broil for 2-3 minutes, watching continuously, to toast the coconut on top.
- Poke little holes in the top of the pie (use a skewer, not a straw, or you will be able to see them after chilling - lesson learned). Drizzle the caramel over the baked pie. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Chill for at least 2-3 hours. I prefer this cold.
Originally Published March 10, 2017. Revised and Republished October 29, 2020.