Whip up this easy keto lemon cheesecake with a sour cream topping! Add on some fresh blueberries, and you have one incredible dessert to serve up any time of year. This keto cheesecake is low carb and will give you that creamy and sweet factor with a citrus twist in flavor. I'm sure you will love this lemon cheesecake recipe!
I made cheesecake for Christmas that was amazing. It was the perfect dessert to celebrate with. With the New Year and a few new pounds to my waistline, I knew I had to get back to healthier eating. We had company tonight and I kept debating what I wanted to make for dessert and cheesecake is a classic in this house.
I took tips from a couple of my favorite cheesecake recipes and used healthier ingredients. Recipe success. When our friend took his first bite, he said “this is gooood!” with a slightly surprised tone (probably because I had revealed it was sugar-free and healthy).
Keto Lemon Cheesecake = Easy & Delicious!
No water bath needed for this cheesecake recipe. Best of all this is a keto-approved cheesecake recipe that will knock your socks off. Don't feel like you can't eat the foods you love; just learn to adapt and cook recipes that use the right ingredients! You don't have to be deprived; you can make amazing tasting food that everyone will love.
Low Carb Cheesecake Crust
For my crust, I skipped the classic graham cracker crust, for obvious reasons. I reached for a local blend baking mix, that is going to give you a similar texture to a graham cracker crust.
The flour blend is equal parts of coconut flour, ground golden flaxseeds, and almond flour. You gain some nutrients from the mix, which is a nice bonus.
Why Is My Cheesecake Lumpy
You want to make sure when you are mixing your batter it is nice and smooth. If you find the batter is lumpy, you will have a lumpy cheesecake. Make sure you are using softened cream cheese so that it can blend well with the other ingredients. Use room temperature ingredients, so it doesn't chill the cream cheese when blending.
How Do You Know Cheesecake Is Done
What I like to do is gently shake the cheesecake in the oven to see if it is done. You don't want to see the cheesecake jiggle when you shake it back and forth. The center needs to be almost set, with just a small circle in the center that jiggles or none at all. It will set up more as it cools.
Why Did My Cheesecake Split
If your cheesecake splits it is okay, you have the sour cream topping to hide it. One reason cheesecakes split is due to overmixing the batter. It will create air bubbles that need to release in the cooking process, resulting in cracks.
Sour Cream Topping For Cheesecake
I guess some people are not familiar with putting a sour cream topping on cheesecake. The sour cream topping offers a sweet tangy flavor but also hides any imperfections you might have developed in the baking process. Maybe there is a crack in the center, well that sour cream topping will hide it, add flavor and give you that award-winning. Top with fresh berries, and you are ready to serve a cheesecake!
How to Store Keto Lemon Cheesecake
Once you have allowed your cheesecake to cool it goes back into the fridge. While some prefer the taste of room temperature cheesecake, it is important to always store cheesecake in the refrigerator. The cream cheese and sour cream can go bad if left out on the counter.
How to Freeze Cheesecake
What I recommend doing for this cheesecake, is allowing the cheesecake to cool, and then freezing it. Leave the sour cream and blueberries off of it, as the sour cream can separate once thawing, and the blueberries will become mushy. Then when you are ready to serve just thaw in the fridge the night before.
Then create your sour cream topping and pour over the top, and top with fresh blueberries than serve.
Other Cheesecake Toppings
Looking for other fruit to pair with your lemon cheesecake? Here are some tasty pairings.
- Mixed Fruit
- Whipped Cream - even with the sour cream topping a little whipped cream is always a treat!
No matter how you serve up this keto lemon cheesecake, it is sure to be a delightful experience. Enjoy.
Love lemon? Try these Keto Lemon Cake Chaffles next!
- ½ cup almond flour ( or equal parts almond flour, coconut flour, and ground golden flaxseed)
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 20 oz cream cheese (2 ½ packs)
- ½ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- pinch salt
- 3 eggs
Sour Cream Topping:
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- berries optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Mix almond flour and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a deep dish pie plate. Bake for 10 min or until slightly golden. Let cool for at least 10 min before adding the filling.
- Make the filling. With an electric mixer mix the cream cheese until fluffy. Add sweetener, lemon extract, and salt. Mix until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Pour over prepared crust.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Reduce temp to 200. Bake another 20 min or until set. Cool to room temp.
- Make sour cream topping. Mix sour cream and gentle sweet. Spread over cooled cheesecake. Refrigerate until cold (at least 2 hours). Sprinkle with berries, if desired.
Originally Published January 16, 2016. Revised and Republished March 4, 2019.