Ooey gooey Keto Smores Bars are dreamy and delicious. Every bite has a keto graham cracker shortbread layer full of chocolate chips, topped with a layer of creamy sugar free marshmallow fluff, and finally a decadent chocolate drizzle to complete them. And the best part is that they are Sugar-Free, Low Carb, Gluten-Free, and Grain-Free too!
Who doesn’t like s’mores? There is truly nothing better than biting into a s’more and having chocolate or marshmallows dripping out...unless you want a treat without the mess. That’s when these keto smores bars come to the rescue. You get all the fantastic texture and flavor that you are craving without the sticky goodness that comes with it.
Plus, when you make smores bars, you can easily transport them to parties or gatherings. It’s not very easy to take actual smores with you, so this is another advantage of these bars. I do have to warn you that if you take them to an event, everyone is going to want to know how you made them, so bring your recipe along! These beautiful s’mores bars are fantastic for barbecues, potlucks, and other gatherings. Just like my Keto Mallomars which are also made with homemade keto sugar free marshmallows!
How To Make Keto Smores Bars
I love making cookie bars because they are so easy! Just pop the baking dish in the oven and let them bake. Then the entire batch of low carb smores is done at the same time. How great is that?
Shortbread Cookie Crust
I chose to use a gluten free shortbread crust with chocolate chips instead of keto graham crackers for these bars. It's a little heartier than a graham cracker and SO much tastier. I use a variation of this dough in many of my cookie recipes because it is simple and comes together in minutes in the food processor. If you want to try it as cookies these Butter Pecan Cookies and Shortbread Cookies are two of my favorites!
Alternatively, you can double the sugar free graham crackers I use for my Eclair Cake and use that as the crust in this smores recipe.
First Step: Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and use a piece of parchment paper and line an 8x8 baking dish.
Second Step: Place the cold butter, almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, gelatin, and vanilla in a food processor. Pulse until it turns into a dough, then fold in the chocolate chips gently.
Third Step: Take the dough and press it into the baking pan. Use your fingers to spread it evenly.
Fourth Step: Bake the shortbread cookie dough for 16-18 minutes. When it’s done, it will be light brown.
How to Make Keto Marshmallows
Homemade marshmallows are easier to make than you think! They really just require stabilizing stiff sweetened egg whites with gelatin. The marshmallow topping for this keto smores bars recipe is based on these Sugar Free Marshmallows with Toasted Coconut.
Fifth Step: While the cookie is baking, start preparing the marshmallow layer for the keto smores bars. Add the water to a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin on top of the water. Let it sit for 5 minutes so the gelatin can bloom and soften.
Sixth Step: Whip together the egg whites using high power until you see stiff peaks develop. Then add in the cream of tarter and combine for another couple of seconds.
Seventh Step: After the gelatin has bloomed, give the mixture a stir until it’s smooth. If you notice any lumps remaining, turn the burner to low heat and melt the chunks.
Eighth Step: Sprinkle in the powdered sweetener to the gelatin and combine.
Ninth Step: Pour the gelatin mixture into a glass measuring cup that has a pour spout. Strain if there are still lumps.
Tenth Step: Turn on your stand mixer to low speed and slowly pour in the gelatin mixture. After the gelatin has been incorporated, turn the mixer to high speed and whip for 3 - 4 minutes. The volume will increase, and it will become thick and shiny.
Eleventh Step: Transfer the marshmallow layer to the baking dish and spread it on top of the shortbread layer. Let the keto smores bars sit for an hour or even overnight so they can set up.
Sugar-Free Chocolate Drizzle
I chose to cover my keto friendly s'mores bars with an easy keto ganache. It is richer than just melting sugar free chocolate chips and softer so it doesn't crack when you bite into a bar.
Twelfth Step: Melt the chocolate chips with the heavy cream for 15-30 seconds in the microwave. Drizzle on top of the s'mores bars and serve.
How Do you Cut Smores Bars?
Cutting keto smores bars and brownies can end up with a mess if you don’t do it properly. I mean, they still taste amazing, but if you want them to be pretty, also then check out these tips.
- Do not cut the smores cookie bars until they have cooled entirely. If you get excited and cut them early, they are likely to look a little rough around the edges.
- Try not to lift the knife up as you make cuts. Making straight line cuts in one smooth motion is your best bet whenever possible.
- Always make sure your knife is clean when cutting a new row. When the build-up of cookie, marshmallow, and chocolate sticks to your knife, it can cause even more chunks to stick to it.
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook! Love this recipe? Leave a comment & 5-star rating right here! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by getting email updates!
- 4 ounces cold salted butter cut into pieces
- 1 cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 2 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup sugar-free chocolate chips
- 4 large egg whites or ½ cup from carton
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ cup gelatin
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup powdered sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 oz sugar-free chocolate chips
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the first six shortbread ingredients in the food processor and pulse until a uniform dough forms. Stir in the chocolate chips. Press the dough into the prepared pan spreading evenly into the pan.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- In a small saucepan add water and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Let the gelatin sit for 5 minutes to bloom or soften.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg whites on high power until they have stiff peaks. Add cream of tartar and mix briefly to combine.
- Once the gelatin has bloomed, stir the mixture until it is smooth. If some lumps remain, place the saucepan over low heat and melt the lumps.
- Add the powered sweetener to the gelatin mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass measuring cup with a spout. If some lumps of gelatin still remain, strain the mixture as you transfer it.
- Turn the mixer onto low speed and slowly drizzle in your gelatin mixture.
- Once the gelatin is incorporated, turn the mixer back up to high speed and whip the mixture for 3 or 4 minutes until it increases in volume and becomes thick and shiny. Add the vanilla.
- Quickly transfer the marshmallow onto the prepared shortbread base and spread it out.
- Let the bars sit for at least an hour or overnight.
- For the drizzle melt the chocolate chips and heavy cream for 15-30 seconds in the microwave and drizzle over the top of the bars. Chill for at least 2 hours before cutting.
Karen Tindale says
These look like something from my dreams and I’m so excited I can make them and freeze them as well! I love all your recipes and especially ones that have a how-to-freeze options too!
Is there something else that would work for the heavy cream I'm lactose intolerance due to ibs heavy cream is a hugh trigger for me.
Coconut cream might work but I haven't tested it.
Michelle Hydle says
So the eggwhites aren't cooked?
No, they are not. You can use pasteurized eggs if you prefer.
Hali Laricey says
If I already have Keto marshmallows :), how much do I use? https://pool.netrition.com/know-brainer-foods-max-mallow-sugar-free-marshmallows.html
Just enough to cover the top. You can cut them in half if you want to use less.
Can I sub THM baking blend for the almond and coconut flour? If yes, how much do I use?
Yes, just use a little less than the amounts called for.
We are going camping next weekend! I always feel left out of the campfire s’more making time! I will be trying this recipe so I can have a treat too! One question: when you say let them set overnight, should they be refrigerated? Thank you!
No, you don't need to refrigerate them while the marshmallow sets.
OH my gosh, I'm drooling! This looks super yummy!!
I brought these to a new neighbor (safely, of course) and they loved them. I saved a few for our family as well, who never even knew they were keto 🙂