Ooey gooey Keto Smores Bars are dreamy and delicious. Every bite has a shortbread layer that’s chewy and full of chocolate chips, topped with a layer of creamy marshmallow, and finally a decadent chocolate drizzle to complete them. And the best part is that they are Keto, Low Carb, Gluten-Free, and Grain-Free too!
Who doesn’t like s’mores? There is truly nothing better than biting into a s’more and having chocolate or marshmallows dripping out…unless you want a treat without the mess. That’s when these keto smores bars come to the rescue. You get all the fantastic texture and flavor that you are craving without the sticky goodness that comes with it.
Plus, when you make smores bars, you can easily transport them to parties or gatherings. It’s not very easy to take actual smores with you, so this is another advantage of these bars. I do have to warn you that if you take them to an event, everyone is going to want to know how you made them, so bring your recipe along! These beautiful s’mores bars are fantastic for barbecues, potlucks, and other gatherings.
How To Make Keto Smores Bars
I love making cookie bars because they are so easy! There is not a bunch of trips to the oven to take out the cookie sheet; you can simply put it in and let them bake. Then the entire batch is done at the same time. How great is that?
Shortbread Cookie Crust
I chose to use a shortbread crust with chocolate chips for these bars. It’s a little heartier than a graham cracker and SO much tastier. I use a variation of this dough in many of my cookie recipes because it is simple and comes together in minutes in the food processor. If you want to try it as cookies these Butter Pecan Cookies and Keto Almond Shortbread Cookies are two of my favorites!
First Step: Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and use a piece of parchment paper and line an 8×8 baking dish.
Second Step: Place the cold butter, almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, gelatin, and vanilla in a food processor. Pulse until it turns into a dough, then fold in the chocolate chips gently.
Third Step: Take the dough and press it into the baking pan. Use your fingers to spread it evenly.
Fourth Step: Bake the shortbread cookie dough for 16-18 minutes. When it’s done, it will be light brown.
How to Make Keto Marshmallows
Homemade marshmallows are easier to make than you think! They really just require stabilizing stiff sweetened egg whites with gelatin. The marshmallow topping for this recipe is based on these Sugar Free Marshmallows with Toasted Coconut.
Fifth Step: While the cookie is baking, start preparing the marshmallow layer for the keto smores bars. Add the water to a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin on top of the water. Let it sit for 5 minutes so the gelatin can bloom and soften.
Sixth Step: Whip together the egg whites using high power until you see stiff peaks develop. Then add in the cream of tarter and combine for another couple of seconds.
Seventh Step: After the gelatin has bloomed, give the mixture a stir until it’s smooth. If you notice any lumps remaining, turn the burner to low heat and melt the chunks.
Eighth Step: Sprinkle in the powdered sweetener to the gelatin and combine.
Ninth Step: Pour the gelatin mixture into a measuring cup that is glass and has a pour spout. Strain if there are still lumps.
Tenth Step: Turn on your stand mixer to low speed and slowly pour in the gelatin mixture. After the gelatin has been incorporated, turn the mixer to high speed and whip for 3 – 4 minutes. The volume will increase, and it will become thick and shiny.
Eleventh Step: Transfer the marshmallow layer to the baking dish and spread it on top of the shortbread layer. Let the keto smores bars sit for an hour or even overnight so they can set up.
Sugar-Free Chocolate Drizzle
I chose to cover my smores bars with a simple ganache. It is richer than just melting chocolate chips and softer so it doesn’t crack when you bite into a bar.
Twelfth Step: Melt the chocolate chips with the heavy cream for 15-30 seconds in the microwave. Drizzle on top of the smores bars and serve.
How Do you Cut Smores Bars?
Cutting keto smores bars and brownies can end up with a mess if you don’t do it properly. I mean, they still taste amazing, but if you want them to be pretty, also then check out these tips.
- Do not cut the smores cookie bars until they have cooled entirely. If you get excited and cut them early, they are likely to look a little rough around the edges.
- Try not to lift the knife up as you make cuts. Making straight line cuts in one smooth motion is your best bet whenever possible.
- Always make sure your knife is clean when cutting a new row. When the build-up of cookie, marshmallow, and chocolate sticks to your knife, it can cause even more chunks to stick to it.
- 8 oz sugar-free chocolate chips
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the first six shortbread ingredients in the food processor and pulse until a uniform dough forms. Stir in the chocolate chips. Press the dough into the prepared pan spreading evenly into the pan.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- In a small saucepan add water and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Let the gelatin sit for 5 minutes to bloom or soften.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg whites on high power until they have stiff peaks. Add cream of tartar and mix briefly to combine.
- Once the gelatin has bloomed, stir the mixture until it is smooth. If some lumps remain, place the saucepan over low heat and melt the lumps.
- Add the powered sweetener to the gelatin mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass measuring cup with a spout. If some lumps of gelatin still remain, strain the mixture as you transfer it.
- Turn the mixer onto low speed and slowly drizzle in your gelatin mixture.
- Once the gelatin is incorporated, turn the mixer back up to high speed and whip the mixture for 3 or 4 minutes until it increases in volume and becomes thick and shiny. Add the vanilla.
- Quickly transfer the marshmallow onto the prepared shortbread base and spread it out.
- Let the bars sit for at least an hour or overnight.
- For the drizzle melt the chocolate chips and heavy cream for 15-30 seconds in the microwave and drizzle over the top of the bars. Chill for at least 2 hours before cutting.
Get the Keto
Over 75 delicious recipes with photos
for only $14.99!