Keto Mallomars are my latest incredibly delicious dessert recipe for you. You will get a crispy shortbread base, fluffy marshmallow center, and a decadent chocolate glaze in every single bite. These beauties are perfect for all occasions and are also low carb, keto, sugar-free, trim healthy mama friendly, gluten-free, and grain-free too.
Traditional chocolate marshmallow cookies aren’t low carb because they are loaded with sugar and carbs. So, eating keto means you have to figure out ways to eat your favorite foods but in a healthier way. I am THRILLED to share these keto mallomars with you because they are one of the best treats you can ever taste. Seriously, every time I taste them, I can’t help but moan with delight because they are that good.
Whip up a batch to take to all your summer barbecues and potlucks because they are easy to transport. Not to mention that everyone will rave about how incredible they are too. And I can’t lie, that always feels good to hear.
How To Make Keto Mallomars
You will need to plan ahead just a little bit when you want to make some of these homemade mallomars. They need time to set up before eating, but I promise that they are worth every second of waiting.
How to Make the Shortbread Cookie
First Step: Add the ingredients for the shortbread base to the food processor. Pulse until a dough forms.
Second Step: Warm up the oven to 350 degrees F.
Third Step: Place the shortbread dough on a piece of parchment paper and add another piece of parchment paper on top. Roll the dough out, so it’s an 11×13 inch rectangle that’s around ¼ inch thick.
Fourth Step: Take a round cutter and cut the dough into 35 circles then place on a cookie sheet that’s lined with parchment paper. If needed, reroll the dough.
Fifth Step: Bake the cookies in the oven for 12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Allow them too cool completely.
How to Make the Marshmallow Filling
The marshmallow filling for the keto mallomars may seem tricky but it’s really not. My expert tip is to read through the instructions 2-3 times before beginning.
First Step: Pour the water in a small saucepan and top with gelatin. Allow the gelatin 5 minutes to bloom or soften up.
Second Step: Whip the egg whites with a mixer on high until you get stiff peaks.
Third Step: Mix in the cream of tarter and combine.
Fourth Step: After the gelatin has bloomed, give it a stir until it’s smooth. If there are lumps, turn the heat to low and melt the chunks.
Fifth Step: Sprinkle in the powdered sweetener into the gelatin and combine.
Sixth Step: Place the mixture into a measuring cup with a pouring spout. Strain if clumps remain in the gelatin.
Seventh Step: Slowly pour in the gelatin mixture and using low-speed turn on your mixer.
Eighth Step: After the gelatin is mixed in, turn up the mixer to high speed, and beat it for 3-4 minutes or until the volume has increased, and it becomes thick and shiny.
Ninth Step: Place 1 ½ – 2 cups of the mixture into a microwavable bowl. Warm in the microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk the marshmallow mix. It is going to be slightly runny, and that is okay. Use a spoon to gently add dollops onto each cookie base. Anytime the marshmallow starts to harden, microwave for 15-20 seconds and whisk. Let the cookies rest overnight so the marshmallows can dry.
Tenth Step: Use a sharp knife to cut off any excess marshmallow before you add the chocolate glaze. Rub the edge smooth with the heat of your fingers. Your keto mallomars are almost complete!
How to Make the Chocolate Glaze
First Step: Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Warm it in 30-second increments and be sure to stir after each time you heat it. Stir until the rest of the chocolate melts.
Second Step: Put one of the keto mallomars into the bowl of melted chocolate. Take a fork and gently scoop the chocolate on top of the cookie. Lift the cookie out of the chocolate with a fork and lightly tap the excess chocolate off.
Third Step: Take your knife and carefully push the cookie off of the fork and onto the parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
Fourth Step: Let the keto mallomars cool and harden overnight.
Are Keto Mallomars Hard To Make?
No, these keto mallomars aren’t hard to make at all. The marshmallow topping does require a bunch of steps but they are not particularly challenging.
The part that is the most difficult is being patient and not wanting to eat them right away. They are worth the time investment to whip up a batch. They make many cookies, so they are ideal for feeding to a large group or saving to have around. Even though they are simple to make, people will think you spent hours and hours preparing them.
Love these keto mallomars? Take a look at some of my other tasty dessert recipes too:
Shortbread Cookie Base:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all of the shortbread ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a uniform dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of parchment paper and place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough and roll into an 11x13 rectangle about ¼ inch thick.
- Using a 1 ½ inch round cutter cut the dough into 35 circles and transfer to a parchment lined cookie sheet using a small spatula. Reroll extra dough as necessary.
- Bake the cookie bases for 12 minutes or until the edges start to brown. Let cool fully.
- In a small saucepan add water and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Let the gelatin sit for 5 minutes to bloom or soften.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg whites on high power until they have stiff peaks. Add cream of tartar and mix briefly to combine.
- Once the gelatin has bloomed, stir the mixture until it is smooth. If some lumps remain, place the saucepan over low heat and melt the lumps. Add the powdered sweetener to the gelatin mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass measuring cup with a spout. If some lumps of gelatin still remain, strain the mixture as you transfer it. Turn the mixer onto low speed and slowly drizzle in your gelatin mixture.
- Once the gelatin is incorporated, turn the mixer back up to high speed and whip the mixture for 3 or 4 minutes until it increases in volume and becomes thick and shiny.
- Transfer about 1 ½ to 2 cups to a large microwavable bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds. Using a whisk mix the marshmallow. It will be slightly runny. Using a large spoon full of marshmallow gently place a dollop on top of each cookie base. If the marshmallow starts to harden microwave again for 15-20 seconds and whisk to smooth. If the marshmallow is too runny and runs off the side of the cookie base wait half a minute and try again. It is okay if a little runs off because you can cut it off after the marshmallow sets. Let the cookies sit overnight so the marshmallow can dry.
- Before applying the chocolate if some of the marshmallow dripped off the side turn the cookie over and using a sharp little knife cut off the excess. Turn the cookie back over and using the warmth of your fingers press the cut edge to smooth.
- In a small microwavable dish melt the chocolate and coconut oil together. Melt in 30 second increments stirring after each 30 seconds. When it is almost all melted except a few random chips still in the bowl you are done and the heat will melt the rest of the chips as you stir it around. (my microwave took about 1 minute and 10 seconds)
- Place a Mallomar into the melted chocolate. Using your fork gently scoop melted chocolate on top of the cookie. Then take your fork under the cookie and lift it out of the chocolate. Now gently tap your hand with the fork to remove excess chocolate (don’t tap the side of the fork on the bowl to prevent crumbs falling into the chocolate). When most of the chocolate has dripped off swipe the bottom of the fork along the edge of the bowl.
- Using your knife gently push the cookie off the fork and back onto the parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Let them cool and the chocolate harden overnight.
Get the Keto
Over 75 delicious recipes with photos
for only $14.99!