Try this low carb Keto Oatmeal next time you have a craving for warm comfort food. It's a quick low carb breakfast or snack that can be thrown together and cooked in just 5 minutes. The flavors are warm, delicious, and comforting. Not only is it keto-friendly, but it's also dairy-free, gluten-free, and grain-free too.
Do you find yourself missing the days of waking up and enjoying a warm bowl of oatmeal? Well, now you can still have the enjoyment of a comforting bowl, but without all the carbs.
While traditional oatmeal isn't going to fit into a low-carb diet, that doesn't mean you can't get creative. I played around with the recipe until it reached the results I wanted. It's become a pretty popular dish around our house, and I bet it will be at yours too.
Oh, and the best part is that it's completely customizable! I will go into details shortly, but I think you'll enjoy all the variations you can make. This is one of my favorite low carb recipes when I get tired of eating eggs every day.
7 ingredients and mere minutes are all that you need to make this keto oatmeal recipe. It is an easy and healthy five minute breakfast!
- Hemp Hearts - A fantastic source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, iron, magnesium, zinc, vitamin E, and more! Plus, they are the base of keto oatmeal. Hemp hearts are just milled hemp seeds. They have a mild slightly nutty taste and a texture similar to oats.
- Toasted Coconut - Not only does toasted coconut taste delicious, but it's also nutritious too. Iron, zinc, potassium, manganese, fiber, and more can be found in coconut.
- Coconut Milk - My favorite non-dairy milk for this dish is the unsweetened coconut milk from a carton. You can also swap it for unsweetened almond milk or cashew milk if you would like to.
- Egg - You can use an egg white or a whole beaten egg. Both work well.
- Sweetener - I usually stick with around 1 tablespoon of sweetener. You can always adjust that amount depending on your preference.
- Cream - A little bit of cream makes this keto oatmeal rich and creamy. If you'd like this to be dairy free simply sub in coconut cream.
- Xanthan Gum - I like to add some xanthan gum because it thickens it up to make it more like classic oatmeal.
How To Make Keto Oatmeal
Step One: Mix together the hemp hearts, toasted coconut, coconut milk, egg, sweetener, cream, and xanthan gum in a medium microwave safe bowl.
Step Two: Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Cook for an additional 30 seconds and stir until you reach the desired thickness.
Keto Oatmeal Variations & Substitutions
- Add a dash of your favorite extracts. Vanilla or almond extract both add some extra pizzazz to the oatmeal.
- In the mood for some extra crunch? Add some pecans, walnuts, or crushed almonds on top. You can even just stir in some almond flour for a boost of nutrition.
- To make it a new fall favorite, add spices. Cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, or apple pie spice are all pretty good. Try a variety of spices to see what you like best. Great for fall and winter.
- Chocolate chips make the oats almost taste like a dessert. Just pick your favorite sugar free chocolate chips and add a few on top. So good!
- Nut butter makes it extra creamy. If you love nut butter, go ahead and add in a teaspoon or two. Peanut, cashew, or almond butter are yummy choices. Add peanut butter and chocolate chips for an amazing chocolate peanut butter oatmeal.
- Berries add a touch of color and nutrients too. Mix in some raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries right before serving.
- Sugar free maple syrup is also great drizzled on top. I like the low carb sugar free syrups from ChocZero.
- Xanthan gum helps this thicken but you can sub in some chia seeds if you prefer.
Can You Cook Keto Oatmeal On The Stovetop?
Yep! I like to use the microwave because it is a little bit faster. However, you can add all of the ingredients to a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until it's reached the desired thickness.
Are Oatmeal and Porridge The Same Thing?
Yes, they are essentially the same thing. Porridge is a warm cereal, but it can be made with a variety of ingredients. Sometimes porridge is made with legumes, vegetables, or different grains. At the same time, oatmeal is typically made with oats. However, my low carb oatmeal recipe doesn't have actual oats in order to keep it low-carb friendly.
How Do You Store Leftovers?
You can store any leftover low carb oatmeal in an airtight jar or container. They will last around 4 days and can be reheated in the microwave or on the stove. Because it reheats so well, this recipe is great if you like to meal prep.
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ¼ cup toasted coconut
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp beaten egg or egg white
- 1 tbsp Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream or coconut cream
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave for additional 30 second increments, stirring after each, until the desired thickness.
- Alternatively, you can cook in a small saucepan over medium-low until thickened.
FREE Mug Cake Cheat Sheet!
Six delicious low carb mug cake recipes on one printable page to keep on the fridge!