This Breakfast Sausage and Egg Pie only takes a few minutes to prepare. With just 5 ingredients it is the ultimate easy family-friendly breakfast. This simple breakfast recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
Easy is my middle name. I do love making fancy desserts on occasion but I greatly prefer recipes that only take a few minutes to put together. As a busy mom of five, there are so many other things I have to do besides just feeding my family.
A couple of weeks ago my kids had a snow day (again) so we decided to have breakfast for lunch. They would be happy to eat breakfast food for three meals a day. I would just need to rotate between eggs, pancakes, low carb waffles, cranberry orange muffins, and bacon. Nah, we always want bacon.
I decided to make my Sausage Egg Muffins into one big family-serve size. It is faster to make one big sausage and egg pie and easier to clean one pie plate afterward. For individual serve size, I recommend the original recipe. This Baked Frittata is another great baked breakfast option.
How to Make a Sausage and Egg Pie
Step 1: Mix coconut flour into the raw sausage (I used Italian turkey sausage here) and press into the bottom of a greased pie plate.
If your sausage has the casings you will need to remove them. The easiest way to do this is to cut down the length of the sausage with kitchen shears.
Step 2: Crack some eggs on top and sprinkle with garlic salt or your favorite seasonings.
Step 3: Bake. Top with cheese. Bake a little more. Enjoy your Sausage and Egg Pie!
Tips & Substitutions for Sausage and Egg Pie:
- You can use ANY flavor of sausage. Sweet, spicy, turkey sausage, chicken sausage, pork sausage, any of those will work in these as long as they are raw. The cooked chicken sausages that just need to be reheated will not work. Make sure to watch for added sugar in any flavored sausage as well.
- You can also top this with any type of cheese. Both shredded and slices work well.
- I kept this recipe simple at just 5 ingredients but feel free to add in fresh herbs, vegetables, other types of meat, etc.
Additional Flavor Ideas:
Italian Sausage Egg Pie: Put a thin layer of no sugar added marinara sauce on top of the sausage before cracking on the eggs. Then use mozzarella cheese and sprinkle the baked pie with chopped basil or oregano.
Spicy Sausage Egg Pie: Use hot sausage and then use pepper jack cheese.
Veggie Sausage Egg Pie: Add a layer of lightly sauteed vegetables on top of the sausage. Peppers, onions, zucchini, broccoli, and spinach all taste great!
Finally, my Taylor Ham Egg and Cheese is similar to this but with classic New Jersey pork roll instead of sausage.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a deep dish glass pie plate with cooking spray. Mix together the sausage and coconut flour in the pie plate and then press it out along the bottom and up the sides.
- Crack the eggs into the pie plate on top of the sausage. Sprinkle with the garlic salt.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the eggs have set and the cheese is melted.