This Keto Mug Brownie is an incredibly decadent dessert. Make a single serving size brownie whenever you are craving chocolate or something special. With only 7 ingredients you can have a fabulous dessert in under 5 minutes that is only 5 net carbs. These low carb brownies are sugar-free, grain-free, and gluten-free too.
If you are a person who is addicted to chocolate, you may be worried when you first start eating low carb. Don’t worry! There are plenty of fantastic recipes that you can enjoy that will easily fit into a low carb diet that is decadent and chocolatey. You don’t have to feel like you are giving everything up; you are simply choosing to eat healthier and say goodbye to refined sugars.
Sometimes I get in the mood for something rich and chocolatey, but I don’t want to go overboard and have too much. That is why the a mug brownie is ideal for me. It’s a fantastic sized portion, and I don’t even have to share it with anyone. Plus, it’s easy enough to make that if someone else wants one, they can have their own.
It took several tries to get the perfect brownie texture but this was worth it! It is my new go-to easy dessert.
How to Make a Keto Mug Brownie
It’s amazing how quickly and easily you can throw together a mug brownie. With just 7 ingredients, you can have yourself an incredible dessert to complete any meal.
First Step: Mix together the butter and sweetener in a microwave-safe mug. Microwave 30 seconds. Add the egg yolk, vanilla, almond flour, cocoa powder, and sugar-free chocolate chips. Mix well.
Second Step: Once everything is combined well, put it in the microwave for 1 minute.
That’s all there is to it; now you can dig in and enjoy your keto brownie in a mug!
Brownie Variations and Ideas
There are several things you can do to these low carb mug brownies to make them a little different. We like to change our brownies based on whoever is eating them. Kids LOVE to make their own brownies, so we will let them. Here are a few ideas.
- Nuts - Walnuts, pecans, almonds, or hazelnuts are all terrific nuts for these brownies. Just add ½ - 1 tablespoon of your favorite nut.
- Cinnamon - Add a sprinkle of cinnamon or pumpkin spice for a fall flavor.
- Peppermint Extract - Add a dash for a chocolate mint brownie!
- Cayenne Pepper - If you haven’t had a brownie with a touch of cayenne pepper yet, you’ve been missing out. The cayenne makes the chocolate even more rich and indulgent. Just don’t add a lot of they will be overwhelming. A tiny sprinkle will do.
- Ice Cream - Serve the mug brownie with a little bit of keto ice cream. Keto chocolate ice cream and Keto coffee ice cream are some of our favorites.
- Whipped Cream - Top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Melted Chocolate Chips - Drizzle some melted sugar-free chocolate chips on top of the mug brownie right before eating. So good and gives you even more chocolate.
Do I Have To Share My Brownie?
Well, it’s entirely up to you, but one of the advantages of these brownies in a mug is that they are already individual servings. You can easily share if you only want a taste or two, but you can easily eat the entire thing guilt-free.
Can I Make This Nut Free?
Yes! This recipe works very well with sunflower seed flour instead of almond flour.
Do I Have To Put Egg Into the Mug Brownie?
My recipe for this keto mug brownie only calls for the yolk. The egg yolk adds to the richness of the brownie, gives it a texture similar to regular brownies, and cooks up perfectly. However, if you want to skip the egg yolk if needed. An alternative is 1 tablespoon of sour cream, but keep in mind the texture will be slightly different. You are welcome to try out various egg substitutes until you find what works for you.
More Low Carb Mug Cake Options
- Keto Vanilla Mug Cake
- Keto Mug Cake
- Mini Snickerdoodle Layer Cake
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cannoli Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free chocolate chips
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Microwave the butter and sweetener for 30 seconds.
- Add the other ingredients and mix well.
- Microwave 1 minute.