Hectic, crazy days mean less time for cooking, so I like to make this fantastic crockpot BBQ chicken! All it takes is a little bit of planning, a few ingredients, a crockpot, and you are well on your way to an EASY pulled chicken dinner. Not to mention, this crockpot barbecue chicken is a crowd favorite.
In the Joy Filled Eats kitchen, you will find that I love to make meals for my family that is low-maintenance. I will prepare meals that I have to put a lot of effort in sometimes, but let's face it. Life is so busy! Everyone needs to go here or there; you know how it is. Often, I try to make food that allows me time to spend with my family instead of being in the kitchen all the time. The best part is you don't have to give up quality or flavor to make something that's practically effortless.
That is what I love about this crockpot BBQ chicken! It might be super simple to make, but it tastes beyond delicious. When my kids are asking me when we get to eat this chicken recipe again, I know they love it too. I am confident; once you try it, you will be adding this to your regular recipe rotation also.
How To Make Crockpot BBQ Chicken
Step 1: Place chicken, broth, and seasonings in the crockpot. Place lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
Step 2: After cooking, shred chicken, add your favorite bbq sauce and toppings. Serve and enjoy hot!
Seriously, this is one of the easiest slow cooker bbq chicken recipes ever!
Optional Keto BBQ Chicken Topping Ideas
When I make this tasty crockpot bbq chicken, we like to top it with bacon crumbles and cheddar cheese. Trust me; it's delicious that way. If you like to try your food a variety of ways, then give some of these ideas a taste and see how you like them.
- Onions - Slice up some red onions, and you will get just enough tanginess added to the crockpot barbecue chicken.
- Coleslaw - Turn your crockpot bbq chicken thighs into a Carolina style meal with some keto coleslaw. Watch out; it's addictive.
- Peppers - Any kind of peppers you like will go well with this crockpot bbq chicken. Jalapeno, bell, or even banana peppers add a lot of flavors.
- Cheese - I know I mentioned cheddar cheese, but there are lots of other cheeses worth trying. Pepper Jack adds a little bit of heat. Or you could go with parmesan, swiss or provolone for a different flavor.
- Cilantro - Kind of like icing on a cake, adding some cilantro will give the bbq chicken a lovely presentation. Plus, it makes it taste even better.
- Sauce - I have three different flavors of keto barbecue sauce that taste great on this!
We love pulled pork in my house too and my Keto Pulled Pork is the best!
Why Is My BBQ Chicken Dry?
If you ended up with dry chicken, it was probably cooked too long. Often, we get busy and think it won't hurt if we cook our food in the crockpot longer than the recipe calls for. I used to do this, and it would result in mediocre meals. So if you want plump, juicy chicken every time, follow the guidelines for time.
Another possibility is that your slow cooker just happens to get hotter than others. There isn't much you can do, except the next time you make the pulled chicken shorten the cooking time a little until you finally get it how you would like it.
Do I Have To Use Chicken Thighs For This BBQ Chicken Recipe?
No, you do not have to use chicken thighs. I prefer chicken thighs because they are so juicy and packed full of flavor. You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts if you prefer or if that is why you happen to have on hand. Using chicken breasts is more than okay, and it will still taste wonderful.
Can You Put Frozen Chicken In The Crockpot?
Yes, you can put frozen chicken in the crockpot. It's essential to realize your cooking time will need to be adjusted. That is going to vary some, but the best thing to do is to check the internal temperature of the chicken. It needs to be cooked to 165 degrees F. to be safe to eat.
How Do I Store Crockpot BBQ Chicken?
To store crockpot bbq chicken properly, you should always allow it to cool down before refrigerating. Then you should put the leftover pulled chicken in storage containers that are airtight. The bbq chicken will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator. I love making this ahead of time, so we can eat it a couple of times through the week.
Can I Freeze Barbecue Chicken?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze crockpot barbecue chicken. Store the chicken in a freezer-safe storage container or bag up to 6 months. To reheat, place it in the refrigerator the night before. Then you can microwave it for 30-60 seconds at a time until it's hot.
If you are looking for more fabulous main dish recipes, check out some of these:
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Lemon Pepper Pork Tenderloin In The Crock Pot
- Chicken Tikka Masala Slow Cooker Recipe
- cheddar cheese
- bacon crumbles
- Add all the ingredients to a crock pot. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low 4-6 hours.
- Shred the chicken. Serve with sugar-free barbecue sauce.