Taco Zucchini Boats are a fun way to serve taco fillings while getting in some extra veggies! Liven up your Taco Tuesday with a new twist. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
We love tacos at my house. Any form that taco meat can take we’ve tried it. Our old standard is just servings seasoned taco meat with toppings, salad ingredients, and tortillas for the kids. But we also like to kick it up and try new forms of tacos. These taco zucchini boats were a fun recipe for taco night.
What is a zucchini boat?
A zucchini boat is just a zucchini that has been hollowed out to hold toppings. You can fill your zucchini with anything you like. Then just bake it until the zucchini has softened and the toppings are hot.
How to hollow out zucchini
If you own a melon peeler that works great to hollow out zucchini. You just need to cut off the stem, slice the zucchini in half lengthwise, and then scoop out the inside. Make sure not to scoop deep enough that the shell breaks.
If you don’t have a melon peeler a grapefruit spoon or a sturdy tablespoon work well. You will just need to use a little more forth when using a regular spoon.
How to make Taco Zucchini Boats
After you hollow out your zucchini you saute the meat with onions, peppers, tomatoes, and the insides from the zucchini. Season it. And then add it back into the zucchini. Top with cheese and bake. That’s it!
For a shortcut just brown the meat and add some salsa instead of the fresh veggies.
I use my Homemade Taco Seasoning in any recipe that calls for a taco spice. By making my own I can make a taco seasoning without fillers like maltodextrin and cornstarch. All you need are some inexpensive spices (I just use the $1 jarred spices for this recipe) and salt.
Other filling ideas for Zucchini Boats
- Cooked chicken, bacon, cheddar cheese, and then a drizzle of ranch dressing when they are done.
- Fresh tomatoes, kalamata olives, and feta cheese. Top with fresh chopped oregano.
- Pizza toppings such as marinara sauce, pepperoni slices, sliced mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese.
What can I serve with Taco Zucchini Boats?
These really can be a meal all by themselves since they contain both protein and vegetables. But we like to serve them with extra toppings such as sour cream and salsa and with a side salad.
Want more Low Carb Taco Recipes? Try these:
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 small to medium onion diced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Wash the zucchini and cut it in half lengthwise.
- Using a small spoon, scoop out the middle of the zucchini and set to the side. Chop into small pieces
- In sauté pan over medium heat add the scooped out zucchini, ground turkey, onions, and jalapenos.
- Cook until turkey is browned and veggies are fragrant.
- Drain and add seasonings and tomatoes, stir and let simmer about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of cheese and stir.
- Line baking dish with foil, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon meat mixture into zucchini and place on foil.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with all of your favorite toppings!
Get the Keto
Over 75 delicious recipes with photos
for only $14.99!