If you are looking for a tasty warm bowl of hot cabbage roll soup, you are in luck. This cabbage roll soup recipe is one of the best-home cooked dishes ever! Plus, you make this nutrient-rich soup in your Instant Pot or slow cooker, so there is a very minimal effort on your part too. Perfect for all occasions and meal planning too.
Instant Pot Soup
I LOVE my Instant Pot! I should actually even use it more than I do because it enhances the flavors of the food and cooks it perfectly. If you haven’t used your pressure cooker much, don’t hesitate, break it out and make this easy cabbage roll soup. You won’t regret it.
One thing that is wonderful with this Instant Pot cabbage roll soup is that it’s super versatile. You can easily adjust ingredients, and the flavor is always out of this world. It’s a classic soup that warms you from the inside out and makes your taste buds do a little dance.
How To Make Cabbage Roll Soup
Step 1: Turn your Instant Pot onto the saute setting and heat up the oil.
Step 2: Cook onion until they are fragrant and translucent.
Step 3: Toss in the garlic and ground chicken (or other ground meat of your choice). Cook until browned.
Step 4: After turning off the pressure cooker, toss in the cabbage, tomatoes, water, and seasonings.
Step 5: Cook the soup and allow a natural release. Then add in cauliflower rice and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
Cabbage Roll Soup Variations
This keto cabbage roll soup is intended to be adjusted. I love recipes that can be made differently whenever you feel like it. Take a look at some of my favorite variations.
- Other Meats – I used ground chicken for this cabbage roll soup, but you can absolutely use ground turkey, pork, or beef if you want. It’s amazing both ways.
- Carrots – Put in 1/2 cup – 1 cup of diced carrots when you add in the water. Gives it a naturally sweet flavor and makes it even heartier.
- Broth – You can easily replace the water with your favorite broth. I prefer low-sodium or homemade, but it’s a great addition.
- Lemon Juice – After the cabbage roll soup has cooked, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice for a little tanginess.
What Is Natural Release vs. Quick Release?
When you first start cooking with a pressure cooker, the natural release and quick release can be a little confusing. Each recipe is different, but this cabbage roll soup should be natural release. What this means is that the pressure will release on its own without you having to do anything to make it happen. Once the pressure releases the Instant Pot will usually make a noise to alert you that it’s safe to open the lid.
Quick releasing means that you physically have to turn the venting valve to release the pressure. It’s vital that you never do this with your bare hands or any other body part. When that valve is switched with will shoot hot steam into the air that can burn you very badly if you aren’t careful. I recommend moving it with a wooden spoon or a towel. Most soup recipes are almost always natural release because sometimes the hot soup can spray out of the vent, so always follow your recipe.
You will find many recipes tell you to do a combination of the quick release and natural release. So you may need to allow it to naturally release pressure for 5-10 minutes then turn it to quick release the rest of the way.
How Do You Store Cabbage Soup?
You can store the cabbage roll soup in the refrigerator after it is cooled down all the way. Then place it in an airtight container in the fridge. The soup will last 4-5 days in the refrigerator. You can even store it in individual serving containers if you are planning to meal prep.
Additionally, you can store the cabbage roll soup in the freezer for 2-3 months too. An easy way to store any kind of soup is in freezer-safe bags. Fill the bag up around 2/3 full, then push out extra air. The soup will expand as it freezes some, so you shouldn’t fill it up the whole way. Then lay the bags out flat in the freezer until they are frozen solid. After that, you can move the bags to make more room in the freezer.
How Do You Reheat Cabbage Roll Soup?
You have a couple of options when it comes to reheating the cabbage roll soup. Cover a microwave-safe bowl with a paper towel and microwave for a couple of minutes. Keep warming until it’s hot all the way through. Another option is to heat the soup in a pot on the stove for 10-15 minutes until it’s hot.
If you are looking for more main dish recipes, check out some of my reader favorites:
- Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Recipe
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- Crack Chicken Recipe
- 1 tbsp oil of choice
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 lb ground chicken, turkey, or beef
- 3 cups cabbage chopped
- 1-28 oz can tomatoes with juice
- 28 oz water
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- salt and pepper to taste
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Place oil in IP and set to saute setting. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and ground chicken and cook until chicken is browned.
- Turn off IP and add cabbage, tomatoes, water, and seasoning. Secure the lid of IP and select the soup setting for 20 minutes.
- Natural release, remove the lid and add cauliflower rice. Place lid on IP for 5 minutes to allow cauliflower rice to heat through and absorb some of the broth. Season with salt and pepper.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Place oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and ground chicken and cook until chicken is browned.
- Add the cooked meat, cabbage, tomatoes, water, and seasoning to the slow cooker. If using raw cauliflower rice add it now. Cook on high for 2 hours or on low or 4 hours. If using frozen cauliflower rice add it 10 minutes before the cooking time ends. Season with salt and pepper.