Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches. Seven amazing words. With an easy eggless cookie dough and homemade or store bought ice cream you can have a batch of these in the freezer waiting for your cookie dough cravings.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches – Low Carb, Keto, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Sugar-Free, THM S
When I saw a pin floating around for these a few weeks ago I knew I had to make a low carb, gluten, and sugar free version. I’ve been craving ice cream sandwiches but haven’t been motivated enough to bake cookies to use for the cookie part. This is a no-bake recipe and combines two of my absolute favorite things: cookie dough and ice cream.
This recipe took a couple tries to get it right. I loved my first ice cream attempt but the cookie dough was too coconutty. When I tried again I got the cookie dough perfect but was out of almond milk so my ice cream wasn’t the same. So what you are getting is the best of both recipes.
These are inspired by this recipe at Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. Make sure to go take a peek at her step by step photos before continuing. They will really help you follow my recipe.
How to make Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches?
- Make eggless cookie dough.
- Spread it in the pan.
- Make or buy low carb ice cream.
- Layer the components.
How to Make Vanilla Ice Cream?
My ice cream recipes are very simple. I don’t bother with complicated steps like tempering the base. I just toss my raw yolks right into the batter. Yes, you read that right. I use raw egg yolks in my ice cream recipes. The addition of egg yolks makes the ice cream creamier and eggs are a naturally low carb ingredient. You can purchase pasteurized eggs if you are concerned about using raw yolks. Or you can just heat the ice cream base and then cool it.
I just add all the ingredients to my blender, give them a whirl, and pour into the ice cream machine. Soft serve ice cream in 20 minutes. If you want it firmer you then have to chill it for a few more hours.
What do I do if I don’t have an ice cream machine?
For a no-churn ice cream (no ice cream maker required) check out this low carb coffee ice cream from All Day I Dream About Food. I bet it would be delicious in these ice cream sandwiches! Or you can soften your favorite store-bought low carb ice cream and use that instead.
Eggless Cookie Dough Ingredients:
- cream cheese
- almond flour
- chocolate chips
Vanilla Ice Cream Ingredients:
- heavy cream
- half and half
- almond milk
- egg yolks **
- glycerin ***
*** Normally, I make glycerin optional but without it in this recipe, you will get icy ice cream sandwiches.
Tips for making Keto Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
You absolutely need to be patient when you make these. If you take them out of the freezer too soon and try to cut them the ice cream will just ooze out. Trust me on this. It was a messy morning in the Joy Filled Eats kitchen today. There was a little too much finger licking going on from melting ice cream. It’s a good thing these are just for my family and not for the public because I definitely violated a few health codes.
Can I make a Smaller Batch of Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches?
Absolutely! This chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream sandwich recipe can be halved and frozen in a loaf pan.
More Eggless Cookie Dough Recipes:
Yes, you read that right. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keto, Low carb, sugar & gluten free, THM S & a no ice cream machine option!
- Line a 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Beat butter, cream cheese, and sweetener with an electric mixer. Add in the almond flour, sweetener, vanilla, and molasses. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips. Put half the cookie dough in the bottom of the pan and spread gently. Cover with another layer of parchment or foil. Spread the rest of the dough onto the second layer. (The pictures here help with this). Put this in the freezer.
- Meanwhile, make the ice cream. Combine all the ice cream ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Add the additional chocolate chips during the last minute if desired. When the ice cream has gotten firm remove the cookie dough from the freezer and take out the top layer. Pour 3/4 of the ice cream on top of the bottom layer of cookie dough. Save the rest in another container.
- It is best to not top it with the top cookie dough yet. You need it to firm up a little more. So put this and the top layer of dough in the freezer separately. After an hour or two remove them from the freezer and top the ice cream with the top layer of cookie dough.
- Freeze for an additional 3-4 hours. This is when it's nice that there was a bit of ice cream left over. It's so hard to be that patient. Eat a little of the extra while you wait.
- Remove from the freezer and cut into squares with a sharp knife. Wrap individually with plastic wrap to store.
*** I get a lot of comments from my low carb readers on the use of molasses. I use it for flavor, not sweetness. One teaspoon of molasses has 5 grams of carbs. This recipe uses 1 tsp divided by 16 servings. That is 0.31 grams of carbs from the molasses per ice cream sandwich. If you prefer you can just omit it.
Notes on Sweeteners:
To sub in Swerve use 1.5 to 2 times the amount of sweetener called for.
Published on June 28, 2016. Revised and Republished April 24, 2019.