This is not a vegan cashew based cheesecake (sorry vegan friends). It is a real cheesecake with cream cheese and a cashew crust topped with salted caramel covered cashews.
……maybe I’m not sorry.
It’s been awhile since I made a new cheesecake so I knew it was time. I was out of almonds but had a can of cashews staring at me from my pantry. They were just begging to be included. Cashews are one of my favorite nuts to snack on. They are just so buttery and flavorful. They worked perfectly in this recipe.
This uses mostly cottage cheese but you can’t tell at all. You need to use full fat 4% cottage cheese to assure the creaminess it needs. I baked it in a small 6-inch springform pan but you can bake it in a deep dish pie plate if you don’t have one. I think it would work to double it and bake it in a standard 10-inch springform pan but I have not tried it. If anyone does please let me know!
My kids aren’t big cheesecake fans so a 6-inch cheesecake is perfect for my husband and I to enjoy for dessert over a few days. I did bake it in a water bath because that is my normal cheesecake baking routine. But I’m not certain it’s necessary. Since it only takes a few extra minutes to prepare I just decided to go all out.
Every time I make something with caramel sauce I want extra sauce. So feel free to double it if you want caramel sauce dripping down the sides. You can never have too much salted caramel in my opinion.
1 cup cashews (I used roasted lightly salted cashews)
2 tbsp butter
8 oz full fat 4% cottage cheese
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla
Topping Ingredients (caramel sauce can be doubled):
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
two pinches sea salt
heaping 1/2 cup lightly salted roasted cashews
- 1 cup cashews I used roasted lightly salted cashews
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or my sweetener blend
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine crust ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a dough forms. Press it into the bottom of a springform pan (wrapped in 2-3 layers of foil if you are baking in a water bath) or pie plate. Bake for 10-20 minutes until the crust smells nutty and is golden brown (closer to 10 for a pie plate and closer to 20 for a 6 inch springform pan).
- Meanwhile, combine the filling ingredients in the food processor (no need to wash it first). Process until smooth. Pour into the baked crust. If using a water bath put the pan in a larger pan and pour one to two inches of boiling water into the outside pan. Bake for 45-60 minutes until the center no longer jiggles.Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- While the cheesecake is cooling you can make the caramel. Combine first three ingredients and cook over medium low heat until bubbly, slightly thickened, and lightly browned. Remove from the heat and add the salt and extract. Stir in the cashews. Set aside. Dump the caramel cashews on top of the cooked cheesecake. If you doubled the caramel sauce save some to drizzle on right before serving (if it thickens you can reheat it for a few seconds in the saucepan or the microwave).
- Cool cheesecake completely before serving.
|Amount Per Serving, based on 10 servings|
Total Fat 20.9g
Saturated Fat 8.7g
Total Carbohydrates 8.1g
Dietary Fiber 0.6g
Vitamin A 8%
Vitamin C 0%