If you are looking for new ways to get some green into your diet or your kids this recipe for Broccoli Cheese Nuggets will be perfect. With only five ingredients it is easy to whip up broccoli nuggets as a side dish or snack. This easy recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
I don't know about you but we always have trouble using up leftover cooked veggies. They just don't taste as good to simply reheat and eat. They really need to repurpose into another dish. I put them into egg bakes and omelets a lot but I was looking for a more versatile use than breakfast food.
I've seen so many store-bought versions of veggie nuggets lately I wanted to try to make some without all the added ingredients and fillers. It's a nice change-up from just serving a steamed vegetable at dinner time. And if you have leftover broccoli it is a perfect way to use it up!
How to Make Broccoli Nuggets
These broccoli cheese nuggets are very simple to prep. If you need to cook the broccoli first either steam it on your stovetop or in the microwave. You can also make these with the steamable bags of frozen broccoli. You want your broccoli on the softer side so that is mashed easily.
Step 1: Simply smash the broccoli and then stir in the other ingredients.
Step 2: Scoop the broccoli on a parchment-lined baking sheet. You can do this by hand, with a couple of spoons, or with a cookie scoop. Then just form them into a nugget shape.
Step 3: Bake the broccoli nuggets until they are firm and the edges are golden. If you make larger or small nuggets the time will vary a bit but these are hard to overcook.
- Vegetables: I'm sure you can sub other veggies into this recipe in place of the broccoli. Cauliflower, spinach, and shredded zucchini would all work wonderfully. Or mix it up and use a combination. A bit of shredded carrot would add some color and sweetness. Or some chopped red peppers.
- Cheese: You can use any variety of shredded cheese in place of the cheddar. We like them with mozzarella and Colby. For a kick use pepper jack.
- Eggs: In place of the two egg whites you may use one whole egg. The egg is the binder in this recipe and I don't know if they would work without it or with a substitute like a flax egg. If you try that make sure to tell me how they turn out!
Can I make these veggie nuggets into other shapes?
I think you could also make these into cute shapes. The veggie nuggets did hold their shape pretty well. Or bake them in a muffin tin for perfect circles.
Do I have to use almond flour?
Almond flour helps hold these together but if you have a nut allergy you can sub in sunflower seed flour in the amount listed. I have not yet tested these with coconut flour but that should also work. If you would like to use coconut flour 1-2 tablespoons will be plenty.
I hope you and your family enjoy my low carb Broccoli Cheese Nuggets! Check out these Keto Low Carb Chicken Nuggets next.
Here is a quick video to demonstrate how easy it is to whip up a batch of this healthy snack!
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a potato masher to break up the broccoli into small pieces. Add the other ingredients and mix well. Drop 20 scoops onto the prepared baking sheet and press into a nugget shape.
- Bake for 20 min until firm and golden around the edges.
Originally Published September 19, 2017. Revised and Republished June 18, 2020.
Get the Joy Filled Eats Keto eBook Bundle!
Over 100 easy recipes w/photos & nutrition info.