Muffins are a great make-ahead breakfast option and these gluten free Strawberry Almond Flour Muffins have become a morning favorite around here! Packed with strawberry flavor with a hint of almond, these muffins make a delicious and nutritious grab and go breakfast or snack that even the kids will love! This easy muffin recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
On the Ranch, breakfast can quickly become mundane! We are always looking for quick and easy breakfast ideas so everyone can start chores and school. The best breakfast for me is one that’s already done...grab and go! Whether it’s a batch of bacon, sausage or hard-boiled eggs, I always try to have something on hand for a healthy breakfast. These almond flour muffins are a great make-ahead option for busy school mornings! Warned up topped with butter or almond butter...AMAZING!
My girls love strawberries any way they can get them! They don’t have a chance around here…my girls go nuts for them, especially my little one, Paige! I typically only buy strawberries once a week when they're in season. We live about 45 minutes from the nearest grocery store so we don’t just “run to the store” to grab something…it’s a production! We bring insulated bags and ice chests for cold or frozen food and space is limited!
When I do have a chance, I pick up a big container of fresh strawberries for the girls. When we get home, it’s Paige’s job to wash and cut them up…this is where the trouble begins! Paige grabs her stool, cutting board and knife and starts prepping the berries BUT for every berry, she cuts and puts in the container…she eats one. So, after its all said and done, our two pounds of berries just yielded one pound. It doesn’t stop there! I often find her with the bowl of berries while she’s busy playing or watching a movie eating them like popcorn! If we’re lucky, by the end of the day Maddie has a few left to eat with her breakfast the next morning…if Paige doesn’t beat her to them!
Can I use frozen berries for Strawberry Almond Flour Muffins?
Yup! These are made with frozen berries which we always have on hand! Maddie and I love experimenting in the kitchen and creating yummy, low carb, and keto recipes together. She’s a great sous chef! To intensify the sweet strawberry flavor we made a simple jam out of strawberries to mix into the muffin batter.
If you end up with extra jam you can swirl some into this Keto Strawberry Cheesecake.
What type of flour is in low carb muffins?
These strawberry muffins are baked with almond and coconut flour to keep them gluten-free and low carb plus the combo helps create a great muffin texture without being too eggy! Topped with sliced almonds for a little toasty crunch, you have one delicious keto-friendly strawberry muffin! Bake up a batch on Sunday and keep them in the fridge or freezer for a quick and delicious breakfast or snack...Cowboy and kid-approved! Great for weekly meal prep!
Craving blueberries? Try these Keto Blueberry Muffins.
Cranberries? These Cranberry Orange Muffins are great!
Raspberries? We love my Keto Raspberry Muffins.
Chocolate? Try my Keto Chocolate Chip Muffins.
Prefer donuts? Vanilla Donuts with Toasted Coconut Glaze are the perfect brunch treat!
For the Strawberry Jam
- 1 cup frozen strawberries (about 15)
- 2 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- pinch salt
For the Muffin Batter
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoon sliced almonds crushed
To Prepare the Jam
- In a small saucepan combine frozen berries, ⅛ cup of Lakanto sweetener and a pinch of salt over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil, smashing the berries as they soften. You don't want large chunks of berries…keep smashing until the strawberry sauce is fairly smooth. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick and the consistency of loose jam with no large chunks. Set aside to cool. This should yield about ⅓ cup of jam.
To Prepare the Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease or spray a regular muffin tin.
- Using a stand mixer and a whisk attachment, add 6 eggs to the mixing bowl and whip until light, foamy and tripled in volume. This can also be done with a handheld mixer but use a large bowl to prevent splatter!
- Switch to a paddle attachment if using a stand mixer. Add almond and coconut flours, salt, sweetener, baking powder and baking soda to eggs and mix on medium speed till combined, scraping down sides at least once. Add sour cream, butter, and extracts to the batter and mix again till combined.
- Stir the cooled strawberry jam gently into the batter until just incorporated. Scoop the batter into the muffin tins, filling them about ⅔ full. Sprinkle sliced almonds on top of each muffin and bake for 20 minutes or until done. Cool about 10 minutes and carefully remove from pan. Serve warm with butter or almond butter! Muffins should be stored in a covered container in the fridge and also freeze very well!
FREE Mug Cake Cheat Sheet!
Six delicious low carb mug cake recipes on one printable page to keep on the fridge!