These spinach feta savory pancakes make a great low carb breakfast for those with a savory palate. They also make a healthy light lunch.
Spinach and feta make a great flavor combination and can be served as a pancake filling. Here, I wanted to try something different and use these ingredients as part of the pancake batter to make a hearty vegetarian breakfast. You could add chopped ham or bacon to these if you wanted though.
Whilst out shopping I came across a bag of pre-packed baby spinach leaves. This may not be anything out of the ordinary for you, but here in St Lucia the spinach we normally see for sale in the supermarket is locally grown and a bit of an acquired taste. To me, it’s a bit “earthy” and I have had to turn to frozen spinach for my spinach needs. This pre-packed bag was an exciting find and I rushed to the checkout, not daring to ask how much it cost.
Spinach in Pancakes?
Spinach is a great vegetable to use in low carb recipes as it is also high in insoluble fiber, as well as being low in carbs. A vegetable packed full of nutrients with high levels of vitamin C, vitamin K, folic acid, iron, and calcium, it’s a great vegetable to start your day with. So, a morning spinach feta pancake was born!
I chopped up the fresh spinach, added some spring onions and fresh garlic for flavor. Feta cheese was added as it is firm when cooked, ensuring that the pancake kept its shape and did not spread over the pan. Although I tend to use coconut flour in my sweet pancakes, I reached for a bag of almond flour. Almond flour has a slight edge over coconut flour for savory recipes.
We ate these spinach feta savory pancakes plain, just out the pan, but you could serve these with some eggs or perhaps melted butter with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese too. Try a couple for lunch with a side salad as I can testify that they are also delicious cold as well as warm. I spent the day snacking on the spinach feta pancake leftovers, and as they are only 2g net carbs each, I had no snacking shame!
Want to try a Savory Waffle? How about these Broccoli Cheddar Low Carb Keto Waffles!
Prefer the sweet side of breakfast? How about Cinnamon Roll Waffles?
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup Spinach, fresh chopped
- 2 Spring onions chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove Peeled & chopped
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Butter, unsalted
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy.
- Add the almond flour, baking powder and water and whisk until smooth.
- Add the spinach, spring onions, garlic, Feta cheese and stir well.
- Season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan on a medium heat and spoon a few tablespoons of batter into the pan. Use your spatula or spoon to smooth the mixture out into a pancake circle.
- Cook on each side until golden brown. When bubbles are coming through the batter, that’s the time to flip them over.
- Eat and enjoy!