You’ll get cheesy goodness in every bite of this Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich! From start to finish you can make these sandwiches in about 5 minutes. You can't go wrong with homemade low carb bread that’s been grilled to perfection and slices of your favorite cheese. It’s low carb, grain-free, and gluten-free too.
I think most of us grew up eating grilled cheese sandwiches. They have always been inexpensive and taste great too. I mean, have you ever had a grilled cheese sandwich that wasn’t good? No way, they are always great. I even used to cheat when I first learned to use the microwave and just microwave American cheese between two slices of white bread.
One of the reasons why I love eating on a keto diet is because I know that I can take recipes that are filled with carbs and transform them into low carb options. You don’t miss the regular dishes because the keto recipes turn out just as good. I am excited to be sharing these sandwiches with you because they are great. We eat them for a light lunch or even dinner on the nights I don’t feel like making something too time-consuming.
How To Make Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Being able to make sandwiches that are low carb is a must. It’s a great way to enjoy some comfort food, and you don’t even have to put in tons of effort making the homemade bread. Let’s take a look at what you need to do to make your own.
First Step: Begin by making the easy keto homemade sandwich bread. First, spray a small square baking dish. A rectangle or square ramekins would also work well. Add some spray non-stick oil or use butter to prevent sticking and grease the pan.
Second Step: Place the almond flour, coconut flour, eggs, baking powder, butter, almond milk, salt, and Italian seasoning in a bowl and combine with a whisk. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
Third Step: Place the dish in your microwave and heat it up for two minutes. It’s that easy! You now have bread slices and can prepare the grilled cheese.
Fourth Step: Spread butter on each slice of the keto bread and put it in a skillet using medium heat. Place one slice butter side down and add a couple of pieces of cheddar cheese. Then add the other piece of bread—toast for approximately 3 minutes and flip.
Fifth Step: Continue cooking until the sandwich has been toasted on each side, and the cheese has melted. Enjoy!
Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Variations
Making these grilled cheese sandwiches with a variety of ingredients is very simple. The options are endless, and you can make all sorts of changes. Here are a few fun ideas to try out:
- Mozzarella Cheese - Add some mozzarella cheese to your sandwich. It’s creamy and delicious and goes well with the bread.
- Turkey - Place a slice or two of turkey onto the sandwich. Great for those days when you just feel like eating something a little more hearty.
- Pepperoni Slices - Add a few large pieces of pepperoni on the sandwich. It gives you a lovely Italian flavor, and it’s so delicious.
- Pepper Jack Cheese - Give your lunch a little bit of spice by using Pepper Jack. I love the spicy flavor it gives, and it is so yummy with the homemade bread.
- Salami - If you are a fan of salami, you already know how good it is. Add a slice or two to the sandwiches, and it’s perfection.
- Vegetables - Add some sauteed onions, tomatoes, sliced avocado, spinach, or any other vegetable that you enjoy to your sandwiches.
What Should I Serve With The Low Carb Grilled Cheese?
One of the ways we keep carbs down is to serve this keto grilled cheese along with a lower-carb salad or side dish. By nature, any baked good with almond flour is higher carb than vegetables or meat. It is great with a side of keto coleslaw, Caesar salad, keto broccoli casserole, or keto mushroom soup. Or along with keto pulled pork, ranch chicken, or keto chicken salad.
Can I Use This Bread For Other Sandwiches?
Absolutely! You can use this bread for any kind of sandwich you want. You can eat it fresh out of the microwave without grilling or grill all your favorite goodies. I do prefer it grilled or toasted. It’s a quick and delicious option to enjoy anytime you are craving a sandwich.
Love this recipe? Try a Bell Pepper Sandwich next!
To make the sandwich:
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 3 slices of your favorite cheese
To make the sandwich bread:
- Spray a microwaveable rectangular dish with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients (except cheese) to the bowl and whisk together. Add the batter to your dish.
- Microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and cut into slices. Your bread is now ready for the grilled cheese.
To make the grilled cheese:
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat when the bread is in the microwave. Butter each slice of bread.
- Add one slice, butter side down on the skillet.
- Add the sliced cheese to middle and top with the remaining bread slice butter side up.
- Toast over medium heat until cheese has melted, flipping your sandwich halfway through. Toast for about a minute on each side or until bread is golden and the cheese is melted.
In the mood for more comforting meal ideas? Check out some of our reader favorites for inspiration.
- Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie
- Spinach & Artichoke Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Loaded Egg Sandwich
FREE Mug Cake Cheat Sheet!
Six delicious low carb mug cake recipes on one printable page to keep on the fridge!