You’ll get cheesy goodness in every bite of this Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich! From start to finish you can make these sandwiches in about 5 minutes. You can't go wrong with homemade low carb bread that’s been grilled to perfection and slices of your favorite cheese. It’s low carb, grain-free, and gluten-free too.
I think most of us grew up eating grilled cheese sandwiches. They have always been inexpensive and taste great too. I mean, have you ever had a grilled cheese sandwich that wasn’t good? No way, they are always great. I even used to cheat when I first learned to use the microwave and just microwave American cheese between two slices of white bread.
One of the reasons why I love eating on a keto diet is because I know that I can take recipes that are filled with carbs and transform them into low carb options. You don’t miss the regular dishes because the keto recipes turn out just as good. I am excited to be sharing these sandwiches with you because they are great. We eat them for a light lunch or even dinner on the nights I don’t feel like making something too time-consuming.
How To Make Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Being able to make sandwiches that are low carb is a must. It’s a great way to enjoy some comfort food, and you don’t even have to put in tons of effort making the homemade bread. Let’s take a look at what you need to do to make your own.
First Step: Begin by making the easy keto homemade sandwich bread. First, spray a small square baking dish. A rectangle or square ramekins would also work well. Add some spray non-stick oil or use butter to prevent sticking and grease the pan.
Second Step: Place the almond flour, coconut flour, eggs, baking powder, butter, almond milk, salt, and Italian seasoning in a bowl and combine with a whisk. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
Third Step: Place the dish in your microwave and heat it up for two minutes. It’s that easy! You now have bread slices and can prepare the grilled cheese.
Fourth Step: Spread butter on each slice of the keto bread and put it in a skillet using medium heat. Place one slice butter side down and add a couple of pieces of cheddar cheese. Then add the other piece of bread—toast for approximately 3 minutes and flip.
Fifth Step: Continue cooking until the sandwich has been toasted on each side, and the cheese has melted. Enjoy!
Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich Variations
Making these grilled cheese sandwiches with a variety of ingredients is very simple. The options are endless, and you can make all sorts of changes. Here are a few fun ideas to try out:
- Mozzarella Cheese - Add some mozzarella cheese to your sandwich. It’s creamy and delicious and goes well with the bread.
- Turkey - Place a slice or two of turkey onto the sandwich. Great for those days when you just feel like eating something a little more hearty.
- Pepperoni Slices - Add a few large pieces of pepperoni on the sandwich. It gives you a lovely Italian flavor, and it’s so delicious.
- Pepper Jack Cheese - Give your lunch a little bit of spice by using Pepper Jack. I love the spicy flavor it gives, and it is so yummy with the homemade bread.
- Salami - If you are a fan of salami, you already know how good it is. Add a slice or two to the sandwiches, and it’s perfection.
- Vegetables - Add some sauteed onions, tomatoes, sliced avocado, spinach, or any other vegetable that you enjoy to your sandwiches.
What Should I Serve With The Low Carb Grilled Cheese?
One of the ways we keep carbs down is to serve this keto grilled cheese along with a lower-carb salad or side dish. By nature, any baked good with almond flour is higher carb than vegetables or meat. It is great with a side of keto coleslaw, Caesar salad, keto broccoli casserole, or keto mushroom soup. Or along with keto pulled pork, ranch chicken, or keto chicken salad.
Can I Use This Bread For Other Sandwiches?
Absolutely! You can use this bread for any kind of sandwich you want. You can eat it fresh out of the microwave without grilling or grill all your favorite goodies. I do prefer it grilled or toasted. It’s a quick and delicious option to enjoy anytime you are craving a sandwich.
Love this recipe? Try a Bell Pepper Sandwich next!
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook! Love this recipe? Leave a comment & 5-star rating right here! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by getting email updates!
- 2 tablespoon almond flour
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon butter softened
- 2 tablespoon almond milk
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
To make the sandwich:
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 3 slices of your favorite cheese
To make the sandwich bread:
- Spray a microwaveable rectangular dish with cooking spray.
- Add all ingredients (except cheese) to the bowl and whisk together. Add the batter to your dish.
- Microwave for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and cut into slices. Your bread is now ready for the grilled cheese.
To make the grilled cheese:
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat when the bread is in the microwave. Butter each slice of bread.
- Add one slice, butter side down on the skillet.
- Add the sliced cheese to middle and top with the remaining bread slice butter side up.
- Toast over medium heat until cheese has melted, flipping your sandwich halfway through. Toast for about a minute on each side or until bread is golden and the cheese is melted.
In the mood for more comforting meal ideas? Check out some of our reader favorites for inspiration.
- Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie
- Spinach & Artichoke Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Loaded Egg Sandwich
FREE Mug Cake Cheat Sheet!
Six delicious low carb mug cake recipes on one printable page to keep on the fridge!
This was really good! I know it will be a keto mainstay for us!
You're a legend for keto-izing grilled cheese! Yum!
Shadi Hasanzadenemati says
This was such a hit! Thank you for this awesome recipe.
I was so excited to try this. I was skeptical because in my experience anything with even a small amount of coconut flour feels like I'm eating a pile of sawdust. But I followed the recipe exactly and used 50/50 almond and coconut. Even after grilling it in LOTS of butter it was so dry my partner and I kept choking as we were trying to chew it. We gave up about half way through and just made a big salad for dinner.
Maybe it would have been ok dipped in soup? I might try again with no coconut flour.
If you don't like coconut flour this may not be the recipe for you. I'm sorry you didn't like it.
What dimensions do you recommend for the rectangular dish? Thank you!
My dish is approximately 5x8.
GAIL E says
Made this yesterday in a smaller, round dish. I was able to cut it into 4 slices. Yesterday I used one as toast. Today I made a grilled cheese sandwich with two more slices. Very good. I've tried several "bread" recipes in the past, and I usually dislike them. This one worked for me. Thanks so much!
There are nut allergies in my house. I cannot use almond flour or almond milk. Can you provide substitutes? My daughter can have seed and cashews, and coconut. Can I use coconut milk?
Sunflower seed flour or cashew flour and carton coconut milk would probably be your best bet.
What are the amounts if I want to make a whole loaf
You can click the number next servings and change that to 8 or 12 for the amounts.
Lauren Kleiman says
There is something so comforting about a grilled cheese especially with homemade low carb bread.
My brother is on keto often, so I know he will love this!
Have you tried just baking the bread instead of microwaving it? If so, how long do you bake it?
Sorry, the comments weren’t showing up for me until I posted this—now I see that you have already answered this. Thank you!
So excited to try this! Can you substitute THM Baking Blend instead of the 2 flours?
Yes, I haven't tested this with baking blend but I think it would work.
Great for BLT or egg bacon sandwich 🤗❣️
I have followed THM for years but have made many KETO recipes from your site and others. Trying to decide to do KETO or THM. Can you advise?
I struggle with this all the time. There are merits to both ways of eating. THM is much more flexible but I find it easier to eat keto at restaurants or family events. As long as you stick to it either can help you.
I don’t use a microwave....how long does it need to bake in the oven?
I have not tested this in the oven. Probably 10-12 minutes at 350. You just want it to be firm to the touch.
Ashley F says
Mmmm this was so good! We used sharp cheddar cheese! Just pefect!
I used pepperjack cheese and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing.