Chicken Thighs with Mushroom Sauce is a delicious and sophisticated meal that the whole family will love. It's simple enough for a casual dinner but is class too. Succulent chicken smothered in homemade creamy garlic mushroom gravy is so comforting and easy. It's a gluten-free, keto, and THM recipe you are going to want to hang onto.
When it comes to the main course, it's not a secret or surprise that I reach for chicken more than anything. Cooking chicken is great for me because I know that I can add it to all sorts of ingredients, and it tastes fantastic.
Chicken can be savory or sweet, and I love it both ways. Today though, it's all about this savory chicken thighs with mushroom sauce recipe. This is one of those meals that you will seriously crave after you have tasted it. After I posted my keto mushroom sauce I knew I wanted to share an entree that featured it!
While you are at it, be sure to try out some of my other tasty chicken dishes such as Cast Iron Chicken Thighs with Bacon. Try this Air Fryer Whole Chicken, and you can eat it just like that, or shred it and add to other dishes. One of my most popular recipes at my house is this Jalapeno Popper Hasselback Chicken. Once you taste it, you will understand.
Are you ready to make a delectable dinner that everyone is going to beg for? Let's get started!
- Chicken Thighs - They should be boneless skinless chicken thighs, or they will take longer to cook.
- Butter - Combining the butter with olive oil gives the mushrooms the perfect result.
- Olive Oil - A fantastic way to add a little bit of flavor and some good fats to your diet.
- Onion - They are an excellent antioxidant and happen to make the sauce taste even better.
- Garlic - A fantastic source of potassium, iron, copper, vitamin b, and more.
- Mushrooms - Baby Bella mushrooms are my favorite. They have a nice earthy taste and cook up beautifully.
- Beef Broth - While you could use vegetable or chicken broth, using beef really ties all the ingredients together.
- Cream Cheese - To make the sauce extra creamy there is no better ingredient than cream cheese.
- Heavy Cream - Adding some heavy cream is a must!
- Salt & Pepper - This dish needs some salt and ground black pepper to enhance the flavors.
- Xanthan Gum - Add a little bit of xanthan gum to thicken the sauce.
How To Make Chicken Thighs With Mushroom Sauce
Below you will find directions on how to cook the creamy mushroom chicken. Don't worry; all the steps are simple!
Step 1: Place the boneless chicken thighs in a greased casserole dish. Then sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Turn on the oven and cook for 20 minutes. While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce.
Step 2: After the chicken is done cooking, drain off any liquid left in the pan. Smother with the creamy mushroom sauce and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until it's cooked to 160 degrees F.
Mushroom Sauce Directions
Step 1: Add the butter and olive oil to a skillet over medium heat.
Step 2: Once hot, add the onion and garlic. Stir and cook until softened. Add in the fresh mushrooms and cook until tender. Take the vegetables out of the pan and set them aside.
Expert Tip: You can use this creamy mushroom garlic sauce in any recipe that calls for canned condensed mushroom soup.
Step 3: Pour in the beef broth, and add the cream cheese. Whisk continuously until the cream cheese has melted. Then pour in the heavy cream and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir until smooth and creamy.
Step 4: Add half of the mushrooms back to the skillet and use an immersion blender to puree. Sprinkle with xanthan gum on the top of the sauce. Top with the remaining mushrooms and stir. Serve and enjoy!
Skillet Mushroom Chicken
Want to avoid turning on the oven? Simply cook the chicken in one skillet and the sauce in another. Top the cooked chicken in the sauce and serve right from the skillet.
Alternatively, you can cook the chicken and transfer it to a serving platter and cover to keep warm. Then make the sauce in the same skillet you cooked the chicken in. The mushroom garlic chicken thighs are delicious cooked either way.
Can I Use Chicken Breasts?
Yep! It's fine to swap the thighs for breasts. Just be sure to use boneless skinless chicken breasts. You could also use chicken tenderloins as well. If you decide to go with tenderloins, you will need to cook them for less time because they are smaller pieces and cook faster.
Herbs - Adding fresh thyme leaves, a sprig of rosemary or even some fresh sage to the first step of cooking the sauce will flavor the entire dish.
Shallots - you can swap out the onions and garlic and replace those with shallots. Shallots have a delicate flavor that falls somewhere between the two.
We like these creamy chicken thighs served over cauliflower rice, hearts of palm rice, or mashed cauliflower. If you aren't eating a low carb diet you can serve the mushroom chicken thighs recipe over mashed potatoes.
How Do You Store Leftovers?
After the chicken thighs with mushroom sauce have cooled down all the way, place it in a sealed container. Refrigerate for up to 4 days. Don't freeze because the sauce will separate and be a strange texture.
How Do You Reheat?
You can quickly reheat the leftover chicken thighs in the microwave. They take 1-3 minutes and heat up fairly quickly.
Another option would be to place all the ingredients in a casserole dish and bake at 350 for around 10 minutes. Heat until it's hot all the way through and serve.
Keto Mushroom Sauce
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 lb baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 oz cream cheese cut into cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 400. Place the chicken thighs in a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Place into the oven and begin to cook for 20 minutes while you make the mushroom sauce.
- Make the mushroom sauce. As soon as it is ready drain any cooking liquid from the chicken casserole and top the chicken with the sauce. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until the chicken reaches 160 on an internal thermometer.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened. Next, add the mushrooms and cook until tender. Remove the cooked vegetables from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the broth and cream cheese to the skillet. Whisk until the cream cheese has melted. Add the cream, salt, and pepper. Stir until smooth.
- Add half of the mushroom back to the pan and puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Sprinkle the xanthan gum on top of the sauce and whisk until smooth. Add the remaining mushrooms back to the sauce and serve.
Easy to make, tasty and great over rice.
at what temperature is the oven at while baking thighs?
What about cooking this recipe in the slowcooker? Could it work? Or in an IP -being careful adding the creamy sauce lastly to avoid curdling?
Yup! Just cook the chicken, drain any cooking liquid, and add the sauce.