This Zesty Chicken & Onion Low Carb Flatbread has layers of cheese, sauteed onions, chicken, cilantro, and lime crema. It is an excellent lunch, dinner, or party appetizer. No one will ever know that it is actually a better for you choice.
This blog post has been compensated by Borden® Cheese.
Zesty Chicken & Onion Low Carb Flatbread – Keto, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, THM S
As a stay-at-home mom of four, I find that a good portion of my day goes into feeding my family. Sitting around the dinner table almost every night is one of the highlights of our day. We talk about the things that happened at work or at school and share about our lives. We’ll discuss plans for the future and talk about our extended family and friends. It is important to have moments together as a family. Dinner is a great place to start; it shows the family love.
This recipe makes 2 big low carb flatbread. It is enough to serve 4 as a main course or 8 as an appetizer. You can halve this recipe to make one flatbread if you choose.
Low Carb Flatbread Dough Ingredients:
8 oz shredded mozzarella
2 oz cream cheese
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup ground golden flax
1 tsp baking powder
Low Carb Flatbread Topping Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
6 slices pepper jack cheese
6 slices mild cheddar cheese
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tsp lime juice
pinch of salt
When the low carb flatbread is done, drizzle on the lime crema, sprinkle the cilantro on top, slice, and serve. For added zest, sprinkle a little crushed red pepper on top.
This is one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. And definitely the best low carb flatbread. I think it even beats all the ‘real’ wheat flour restaurant flatbreads I’ve tried over the years.
This Zesty Chicken & Onion Flatbread is a delicious appetizer or main dish when you are craving Mexican.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked chicken chopped
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese
- 6 slices mild cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp lime juice
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Put mozzarella cheese and cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave one minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. At this point, all the cheese should be melted. Microwave 30 more seconds until uniform and gooey (it should look like cheese fondue at this point. If it doesn’t, keep microwaving in 30-second increments). Mix in the flours, flax, baking powder, and egg. You will need to dump it onto wax paper and knead it by hand to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients, or you can do this in a food processor with the dough blade.
- Divide the dough into two pieces. Using wet hands, press out into two rectangular pieces on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake the dough for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the onions in a large frying pan over medium-high heat in the olive oil until they are softened and browned.
- When the dough has baked for 10 minutes, it is ready for the toppings. Put 3 pieces of the Borden® Cheese Pepper Jack Slices on each flatbread, top with 3 slices of Borden® Cheese Mild Cheddar Slices. Next, layer on the chicken and onions. Return to the oven for 8-10 minutes until the cheese has melted and the toppings are hot.
- Meanwhile, stir together the sour cream, lime juice, and pinch of salt. Put into a zip top bag, and cut a small piece off one corner so you can drizzle it on the cooked flatbread.
- When the flatbread is done, drizzle on the lime crema, sprinkle the cilantro on top, slice, and serve. For added zest, sprinkle a little crushed red pepper on top.