This is the best healthy creamed spinach recipe ever. With just 6 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep, you can have cheesy, bacony keto creamed spinach at the dinner table in no time. This easy side dish recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
Anything with bacon and cheese falls into the comfort food category in my family. I take those two rich and indulgent foods and add them to casseroles, salads, side dishes, and more. If it has cheese and it has bacon my kids will eat it.
I can imagine the reactions if I just bought the casserole dish full of raw spinach (pictured below) to the dinner table. But, mix in some bacon and cheese and make it into keto creamed spinach and it’s a hit.
I never cease to be amazed at how much spinach cooks down.
From the photo above to the one below you can see how much my keto creamed spinach shrunk. Even adding some other ingredients didn’t bulk up the bottom.
When I was cooking this keto creamed spinach for a birthday dinner I kept looking at my overflowing saucepan of fresh spinach and wondering if I needed to add more. I really could have.
Expert Tip: If you’d like to lighten up this dish you can either cut the amount of cream cheese and shredded cheese in half or just double the amount of spinach.
How to Make Keto Creamed Spinach
First Step: Saute the spinach with some seasonings. Add cream cheese and let it melt into the spinach. Add shredded cheese and bacon.
Second Step: You can serve it immediately right from the skillet or transfer the healthy creamed spinach to a casserole dish and bake it to brown the cheese topping.
Can I Use Frozen Spinach?
Absolutely! Just cook it according to the package instructions before adding in the cheeses and spices.
Can I Use Another Type of Shredded Cheese?
Yes. I used gouda but some other great choices are Parmesan, cheddar, swiss, or even pepper jack for a little kick!
I hope you enjoy this keto creamed spinach recipe!
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Add the spinach, cover, and cook over medium until the spinach has wilted. Add the cream cheese, onion, and garlic, and stir until the cream cheese has melted.
- Remove from the heat. Add half the gouda cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with the remaining cheese and crumbled bacon and serve right from the skillet.
- OPTIONAL: Preheat oven to 400. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray. Follow the above instructions and then transfer to the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and crumbled bacon. Bake for 20 min.
- You can sub 10 oz of frozen spinach for the fresh spinach if you prefer.
- If you'd like to lighten up this dish you can either cut the amount of cream cheese and shredded cheese in half or just double the amount of spinach.