This Easy Keto Broccoli Salad with Bacon will become your go-to summer side dish. It is creamy and refreshing with the bold flavors of cheddar and bacon. A lightened up skinny broccoli salad that is full of vibrant and crisp flavors.
Summer is on the horizon, and this low carb broccoli salad is always in rotation in our home. I use it as sides to pair with dinner, dishes to bring to potluck cookouts, and any other entertaining we might have. Crisp broccoli, creamy sauce, crumbled bacon and of course shredded cheddar for a tangy cheese factor.
This Easy Broccoli Salad with Bacon has been a summer favorite of ours for the last couple of years. I buy the big bags of cleaned, washed broccoli from Costco, so all I have to do is cut them a little smaller and mix the ingredients. I love it as a side dish when we have grilled chicken or smoked ribs.
Can I Double This Keto Broccoli Salad Recipe
This broccoli salad recipe doubles beautifully. If we are going to a big barbecue, I’ll double or triple this to make the entire 2.5 lb bag. This easy raw broccoli salad is always one of the first salads to disappear.
Simplified Broccoli Salad Recipe
Sometimes to change it up a bit instead of the seasonings listed I use Goya Adobo seasoning to taste. If you try that it cuts the ingredient count down to only 6. I try to keep the ingredients under 10 in most of my recipes. The Goya seasoning is salty so start with a little and add slowly. I’ve over-salted dishes a few times with that one blend.
Ingredients for this raw broccoli salad
- broccoli florets – fresh work best, you can include the stems too if you chopped them small
- mayo – any mayo without added sugar
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt – we use both in this interchangeably
- dill – dried is fine but if you have fresh go ahead and use that!
- onion powder – or dried minced onion
- garlic powder – or dried minced garlic
- parsley – again, dried is fine but fresh can work too
- salt – I like the pink Himalaya salt
- crumbled bacon – the real bacon crumbles sold in a package work just as well as fresh bacon in this
- shredded cheddar – or another cheese of your choice
How to Make Keto Broccoli Salad
Start by mixing your mayo, sour cream, and seasonings. Fold in your broccoli. Then right before you are ready to serve fold in your crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese.
If you don’t wait to add in the bacon and cheese right before serving you will find the bacon becomes mushy and the cheese kind of melts into the sauce. If you serve the next day, add in extra cheese and even fresh crumbled bacon.
Is Broccoli Salad Good For You
Because I created a lighter broccoli salad, it offers a healthier version than one that has sugar and other higher calorie ingredients. Broccoli is full of fiber, folate, and is excellent for anti-inflammatory benefits.
Do You Have To Cook Broccoli for Broccoli Salad
No, you are welcome to use raw broccoli or if you prefer cooked then blanch your broccoli. Generally, you will see broccoli salad recipes use fresh broccoli. The dressings can break down the florets softening it up a bit.
If you want to cook your florets bring a pot of water to a boil, and drop your florets in for a minute. Transfer into an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Let your broccoli fully cool then complete making your salad.
Can You Use Frozen Broccoli in Broccoli Salad
If you don’t mind a softer broccoli texture, you can allow your broccoli to thaw and use it for making broccoli salad. This will give you a similar texture to blanching your broccoli beforehand. It won’t have as much crunch, but will still taste great.
Anytime I make casseroles I find myself snacking on the cooked broccoli in the mayo/sour cream/spice blend. Delicious!
How to Store Keto Broccoli Salad
If you have leftovers store your broccoli salad with bacon in the fridge in an airtight container. This salad will last up to three days in the refrigerator. Just note, that it is best when served fresh. The bacon softens as it sits in the refrigerator. You can always add in more bacon to give it that fresh taste for day two or three.
Cold Broccoli Salad
This cold broccoli salad is soon to become a staple. With spring here and summer on the horizon, it is the perfect vegetable dish to make to use up your fresh produce from your garden or farmer’s market! Nothing tastes better than fresh produce picked out of your garden.
Can I Substitute Different Cheese for Cheddar Cheese in Broccoli Salad
Sure! Feel free to reach for your favorite cheese flavor. I know some people like a little spice and might enjoy a pepper jack or jalapeno cheese, or maybe you want more bite, then reach for sharp cheddar cheese. Add in whatever cheese you and your family enjoy the most.
If you are on the hunt for a quick and easy salad, give this low carb broccoli salad a go. Bursting with fresh flavors in a creamy sauce, it will win over your family or a crowd in no time. I have been making this same recipe for years, and it never gets old.
- Mix mayo, sour cream, and the seasonings. Fold in broccoli.
- If serving right away fold in the bacon and cheddar. If preparing ahead add these right before serving.
Looking for more low carb side dishes
- Cucumber Avocado Salad | Crisp, fresh and full of earthy flavors. This salad takes minutes to make and offers a tangy and creamy texture.
- Southwest Cauliflower Potato Salad | Go south of the border on flavor factor with this Southwest Cauliflower salad. An excellent lighter version of potato salad with extra flavors.
- Hashbrown Casserole | Looking for a comfort food dish. Low carb hashbrown casserole gives you that refreshing flavor without all the empty carbs.
Originally Published Revised and Republished on May 2, 2019.