A nourishing low carb green smoothie with a refreshing lemon, peach, ginger flavor. A delicious way to get your daily dose of greens!
Low Carb Green Smoothie – Keto Options, THM, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Sugar-Free
Hey there! It’s Kailey from Living Fresh Daily back for another guest post. Today I’m sharing a super refreshing low-carb keto green smoothie!
I love cooling off with a smoothie during the summer, but unfortunately, there aren’t very many low-carb options.
Most smoothies are packed with fruit which means lots of sugar and lots of carbs.
So I decided to come up with my own green smoothie recipe that tastes just as good as those fruity smoothies, but without all the extra carbs and sugar!
The main flavors in this smoothie are a combination of cucumber, lemon, and ginger. This combo is SO refreshing and flavorful, that’s why it’s used as the base for most cold-pressed green juices.
I even use this flavor combo in my replenishing aloe vera juice recipe.
What type of fruit can I use?
This keto green smoothie takes the cucumber, lemon, and ginger flavor combo to the next level by adding a hint of peach.
Peaches are a bit lower in carbs than most fruits which makes them an excellent choice for a keto smoothie. Plus they’re DELICIOUS!
If you’re not a fan of peaches, they can easily be replaced with other low(er) carb fruits. Here’s a list of other great choices:
Low-Carb Keto Friendly Fruits
- Raspberries – 3 grams of carbs per 1/2 cup
- Strawberries – 6 grams of carbs per 1/2 cup
- Cantaloupe – 7.5 grams of carbs per 1/2 cup
- Plum – 7 grams of carbs per medium fruit
- Clementine – 7 grams of carbs per medium fruit
How to make a keto green smoothie
Making a smoothie is easy, all you have to do is add the ingredients to a blender and press a button right?
True, but there are a few important things to keep in mind.
First of all, I think every keto smoothie should have some avocado in it. Not only are avocados full of healthy fats, but they give the smoothie that familiar “creamy” texture that most smoothies achieve from using bananas.
Obviously bananas aren’t an option for a low-carb smoothie, so we improvise with the avocado.
The next important step is to be sure to use at least one frozen ingredient (like frozen peaches). A high-speed blender that is capable of liquefying greens like spinach will produce a lot of heat.
I tell you from experience, a warm green smoothie is NOT what you want.
You can use a handful of ice to keep things cool, but this seems to give smoothies a “slushy” like texture instead of a creamy smoothie texture.
Boost your smoothie
One of my favorite parts about smoothies is the add-ons.
You can really tailor a low carb green smoothie to any specific dietary or health needs. Here are a few of my favorite boosts to add to my smoothies:
- Chia Seeds – high in omega 3’s, fiber, and protein
- Matcha – energy boost and high in antioxidants
- Protein Powder – because who doesn’t want more protein?
- Almond Butter – for healthy fats and added creaminess
- Spirulina – a super nutritionally dense food + high in antioxidants
Want even more smoothie booster ideas? Check out these 17 superfoods for smoothies.
Keto Green Smoothie
- 1/2 Avocado peeled and pit removed
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1 medium Cucumber ends removed
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley
- 2 Peaches pits and stems removed
- 1 Lemon peeled
- 1 inch piece of Ginger
- 1 1/2 cups Water
Smoothie Boosters (Optional)
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds (high in fiber, protein, and Omega-3s)
- 1 tbsp Matcha (an energizing green tea "superfood" high in antioxidants)
- Wash and dry all fresh produce. Peel the lemon and ginger. Peel and remove the pit from an avocado.
- Add all the fruit and veggies to a high-speed blender along with 1 1/2 cups of water. Be sure to use either frozen peaches and/or freeze the avocado for a thick and creamy texture. Blend on high until fully broken down, about 30-60 seconds.
- Optional: Boost your smoothie with added fiber, healthy fats, protein powder, or superfoods. I like to add chia seeds and matcha powder to my green smoothies!
For more delicious low carb frozen drinks try these:
Get the Keto
Over 75 delicious recipes with photos
for only $14.99!