This easy almond tart has only ten minutes of prep and seven ingredients. It is amazing with fresh berries or a dollop of all fruit jam. Since it can be made ahead it is a perfect dessert for Easter or any other celebration.
Pregnancy cravings are funny things. I haven’t been wanting sweets as often as I used to. And only particular ones when I do. I’m reading a new books series set in Scotland in the 1700s and they casually mentioned an almond tart. And my eyes stopped. And my brain started thinking about how I could make an almond tart because I needed to eat one as soon as possible. I already have a pie crust recipe I enjoy and I thought the cookie dough I use for my pignoli cookies (which is almond based) would work perfectly in a tart. I was right. This is subtle on its own but pairing with jam or fresh berries make it amazing. It would be good as a brunch dessert as well.
I have a few different shaped tart pans. A classic round pan, a rectangle pan, and a heart pan I rarely use. They are inexpensive and make a simple dessert look impressive. This recipe should work in any of those pans or would make about four 4-inch mini tarts. I used a 9 inch round tart pan.
Easy Almond Tart – Low Carb, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Sugar Free, THM S
Pie Crust Ingredients:butter, water
Filling Ingredients: slivered almonds, sweetener, egg whites, almond extract, fresh berries or all-fruit jam, to serve
Serve with fresh berries or jam.
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2.5 cups slivered almonds divided
- 1/2 cup Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or my sweetener
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1 tsp almond extract
- fresh berries or all fruit jam to serve
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix the pie crust ingredients in a food processor until the dough comes together. Press into the bottom and slightly up the sides of a tart pan.
- Process 2 cups of the slivered almonds and the sweetener in the food processor for 5 minutes, scraping down the sides occasionally. Add the egg whites and almond extract. Process until it comes together and is about the consistency of peanut butter. Spread onto the prepared crust using wet hands. Sprinkle the slivered almonds on top and press down lightly.
- Bake for 20 minutes until slightly golden and firm to the touch. Cool completely before removing the sides of the pan. Serve with fresh berries or jam.