Pignoli Cookies are a slightly sweet, chewy cookie made from almond paste and covered with pine nuts. They are a favorite of my husband’s family and they are a must at Christmas.
Pignoli Cookies – Keto, Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Sugar-Free, THM S
I don’t think I ever tried Pignoli Cookies before I met my husband. They are divine but pricey. At the local Italian bakeries, these are $22 a pound. I don’t blame them based on the price of pine nuts. They are considerably cheaper to make but still expensive enough I only make them once a year for Christmas. At Costco, pine nuts are about $24 for 24 oz. I used 8 oz in this recipe. Add in the cost of almonds and sweetener and this was about a $10-12 recipe to make 26 cookies. But I promise it’s worth it. If you like pine nuts and you like cookies (does anyone not like cookies?) this will be your new favorite recipe.
With only four ingredients this is the simplest cookie recipe I have. It is dairy and sugar-free, low carb, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly. I won’t need to cheat at Christmas with these on the dessert table.
Pignoli Cookies Ingredients:
2 cups slivered almonds
1/4 cup egg whites
8 oz pine nuts
finely ground sweetener for dusting, optional
How to Make Pignoli Cookies
First, you need to make almond paste. To make almond paste process the almonds and sweetener in the food processor for 5 minutes, scraping down the sides occasionally.
Next, add the egg whites. Process until the dough comes together and is about the consistency of a nut butter.
Then roll balls of dough in the pine nuts. Bake and sprinkle with powdered sweetener.
Can I use another type of nut?
Yes. This recipe also works with other types of nuts coating the cookies. If you are on a budget try them with almond slivers or chopped walnuts instead of the pignoli nuts!
More Low Carb Christmas Cookies:
Pignoli Cookies are a slightly sweet, chewy cookie made from almond paste and covered with pine nuts. They are a favorite of my husband's family and they are a must at Christmas.
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or my sweetener blend
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 8 oz pine nuts
- finely ground sweetener for dusting optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Process the almonds and sweetener in the food processor for 5 minutes, scraping down the sides occasionally. Add the egg whites. Process until it comes together and is about the consistency of peanut butter.
- Put the pine nuts in a shallow bowl. Drop tablespoons of the dough into the pine nuts. Roll the balls of dough around covering them with nuts. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly golden. Cool completely and dust with finely ground sweetener, if desired.