Don't let making pralines intimidate you - they are actually really easy to make. You will be surprised how easy these Chocolate Pecan Pralines are. For a taste this incredible it seems like they should be much more labor intensive.
My love of pecan pralines began when my husband and I visited New Orleans for our 1st anniversary back in 2004. I brought back a big box of Aunt Sally's pralines in both original and chocolate because I couldn't decide which was my favorite.
I made a regular pecan praline recipe and a pecan praline brownie a few months ago but I still needed a chocolate pecan praline candy. Last weekend I wanted to make a dessert for a party but it was way too hot to bake. Finally making that chocolate pecan praline recipe was the perfect solution.
Ingredients for Chocolate Pecan Pralines
- toasted pecans
- heavy cream
- unsweetened chocolate
Tips for Chocolate Pralines
A few of my readers said the mixture separated after adding the chocolate so I played around with it a bit.
There are two things that can cause this to separate. If the caramel is too hot or if you over mix. I tweaked the instructions and added cooling time before stirring in the chocolate. Make sure to only stir until the chocolate is melted and then gently stir in the pecans.
It does thicken as it cools so if it is too this to drop by spoonfuls right away just cool it to room temp first.
- 1 cup pecans toasted (I toast nuts at 400 degrees until they are lightly browned and smell fragrant)
- 5 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoon heavy cream
- ⅓ cup Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate
- Combine 4 tablespoon of the butter, sweetener, and cream over medium heat. Stir until sweetener is dissolved. Add vanilla. Cook until it is a deep golden brown. I cook this for about 10 minutes. Stay in the kitchen with it and stir frequently. It will start to smell like caramel. At that point stir constantly. As soon as it reaches that deep color (right before burning) remove from the heat and immediately add the remaining butter and salt. Stir until smooth.
- Cool for five minutes. Add chocolate and stir until it melts. Add toasted pecans. Drop by spoonfuls onto on wax paper. Refrigerate until firm.
More Delicious Sweet Recipes: