This hearty comfort dish is ready in under an hour and loaded down with a delicious Philly cheesesteak flavor. This Keto Philly Cheesesteak Chicken Casserole dish is an entire meal in itself! This simple chicken recipe is also keto-friendly and gluten-free, too!
I can't remember the last time I had a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich. Since cutting out carbs and eating keto, I can assure you that it's been quite a while.
But that feeling of void that my tastebuds tend to remind me of sometimes has been 100% fulfilled by this easy keto casserole dish. Every forkful that I put into my mouth literally tastes exactly like the classic sandwich!
I love making recipes that make me feel as though I'm "cheating" without actually doing so. Every single ingredient in this low-carb casserole recipe is on plan to enjoy when you're living the keto lifestyle.
You can easily make this simple casserole dish during any month of the year but I like to have hearty dishes once the air starts to get a bit colder.
- Shredded Chicken - You can cook up chicken and slice it yourself or use a rotisserie chicken and shred it, too. Just make sure to drain any cooking liquid.
- Oil - Any type of oil here will work. Just use what you have in your cabinet.
- Sliced Onions - I like to thinly slice my onions so I get a subtle taste of them.
- Mayonnaise - This adds creaminess to the casserole dish.
- Sour Cream - Another way to add thickness to the casserole and is a great binding agent, too.
- Garlic Cloves - I prefer fresh garlic in this recipe but you can sub in garlic powder or jarred minced garlic if necessary.
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper - You can season the sauce to taste since you are mixing it into the cooked chicken. Just season as you go.
- Provolone cheese - The provolone pairs perfectly with the rest of the ingredients.
How To Make Keto Philly Cheesesteak Chicken Casserole
This low-carb chicken casserole is simple to make and is just about following the directions and adding in the shortlist of ingredients.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Step 2: Put the onions into the casserole dish and bake.
Step 3: Mix together the ingredients to create the creamy texture of the low carb Philly cheesesteak casserole.
Step 4: Mix the shredded chicken, cooked onions, and creamy sauce mixture together in the baking dish.
Step 5: Top the keto Philly cheesesteak bake with provolone cheese:
Step 6: Add back into the oven. Bake until it is hot and the cheese is golden and bubbly. Enjoy!
Expert Tip: For the perfect browned cheese on top broil at the end of the baking time for 1-2 minutes. Watch it closely. It is very easy to burn the cheese.
Variations & Substitutions
Colby Jack Cheese: Even though this isn't the traditional cheese that is used with a Philly sandwich or recipe, it's still delicious to have as an option! Changing up the cheese is a fast way to change up the flavor.
Bacon: Is there ever a dish that doesn't go with bacon? Sprinkle some cooked crumbled bacon on top of the Philly cheesesteak casserole for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Coconut Oil: If you want to add a hint of sweetness, you can use coconut oil to fry up the sliced onions.
Italian Seasoning: Boost the flavor by adding a pinch or two of Italian seasoning to the sauce.
Cream Cheese: For a super creamy sauce add four ounces of softened cream cheese.
Vegetables: Add in some sliced green bell peppers or red peppers for a pop of color and added flavor. You can also add sliced mushrooms or other favorite veggies.
Beef: I chose to use chicken in this casserole because it is much cheaper than beef. But if you want to make this with sliced steak go for it! Just brown the outside of a steak, slice it thin, and then use it in place of the shredded chicken. You could even sub in ground beef if you want.
Skillet: Want to make a keto Philly cheesesteak skillet instead of a casserole? Cook the onions in the skillet and then mix everything together right in a large skillet just like you would for a casserole. Top with cheese and cook over low until it is hot. Place under the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown the cheese.
What is the easiest way to shred chicken?
You have options when it comes to cooking and shredded chicken. Slowly cook the chicken in your slow cooker and then shred it easily with two forks.
You can also be brave and try the trend that went viral last year by adding the cooked chicken to a bowl and then using your electric mixer to shred it quickly! The only problem with this is if it gets too finely shredded. I use this method when making keto chicken nuggets.
Can you freeze this low-carb casserole?
Sure! I'm all for freezing casserole recipes. This one has a creamy middle made up of dairy products, so you may need to stir it after baking. For this reason, I recommend freezing without the top layer of cheese. Once it has thawed in the oven, give it a mix, top with the cheese, and then continue baking.
You can also just make this ahead of time and have it waiting in your fridge to pop in the oven and finish or reheat to enjoy.
What sides dishes pair well with casseroles?
Since this keto Philly cheesesteak casserole recipe is a hearty and rich entree, a lighter side dish is going to be your best option. A side salad or even a steamed vegetable would be a fast and simple addition to this dish. You can even just serve in lettuce wraps or on a bed of cauliflower rice.
I always start out with just a casserole offering for the meal and then have a salad handy and ready, just in case!
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Toss onions and oil in a large casserole dish. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway until the onions have softened and browned.
- Meanwhile, combine the chicken with mayo, sour cream, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Mix the chicken into the cooked onions in the casserole dish. Top with provolone cheese.
- Reduce the heat to 375. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until hot and bubbly.