Baked spaghetti squash is a delicious side dish. This baked spaghetti squash is loaded with zucchini, peppers, onions, cheese, and tomato sauce making it a filling addition to any meal.
We love spaghetti squash in my house. The spaghetti-like texture makes it a nice substitution for the traditional carb loaded wheat spaghetti. We don't miss have a starchy side dish when this baked spaghetti squash is on the table. By adding in some other lightly sauteed vegetables, marinara sauce, and cheese you can make this unique vegetable into the star of the table.
It is a cold February here in NJ and I'm craving comfort food. Nothing is more comforting in my book than a big bowl of spaghetti loaded with sauce and cheese. Unfortunately, that isn't a healthy option for my waistline. This baked spaghetti squash hits the spot for just a fraction of the carbs and calories.
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in Microwave / How to Bake Spaghetti Squash
I'm sure I'm not the only scared to try to cut a hard winter squash. Losing a finger or two is not on my agenda. It is so much easier to just pop that hard squash in the microwave to soften or bake it whole in the oven. That's why I included instructions to either microwave your spaghetti squash or bake it whole, so there is no worry about having to cut that hard winter squash in half before it is softened.
Did you know you can also cook it in an air fryer? Check out this recipe for air fryer spaghetti squash.
Baked Spaghetti Squash with Vegetables
My mom is a vegetarian now and I was for about 10 years as a teen and young adult. So veggies are near and dear to my heart. My mom cooks zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and onions as part of her dinner almost every night. I've been wanting to put some more hearty meatless recipes on the blog for a while so this one is for my mom.
Baked Spaghetti Squash with Meat
If you would like to through in some cooked ground beef or turkey in place of some of the veggies go for it. That would boost the protein and reduce the carbs enough that this could go from a side dish to the main course.
How to Serve Baked Spaghetti Squash
It is fun to serve this right from the shell of the spaghetti squash but if you prefer you can serve it in a casserole dish instead.
Is Spaghetti Squash Keto? Is Spaghetti Squash Low Carb?
Since spaghetti squash is a vegetable it has only a fraction of the carbs of wheat pasta but it does still have carbs. If you are doing keto it is best to enjoy spaghetti squash as a side dish and not as an entree.
If you'd like to reduce the carbs in this dish you can use browned ground meat instead of the vegetables and reduce the amount of marinara sauce to ½ of a cup.
Is Spaghetti Squash Healthy?
Yup! Spaghetti squash is a good source of fiber, vitamin A, and is lower calorie and carb than traditional pasta.
Baked Spaghetti Squash
- 3 lb spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup yellow bell peppers diced
- ½ cup red onion diced
- ½ cup carrots diced
- 2 cups zucchini cut into fourths lengthwise, and then sliced into ¼ inch thick pieces
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Poke spaghetti squash all over with a knife and cook in the microwave for eight to 12 minutes until soft. If you don't have a microwave, place the poked squash on a baking pan and bake at 375ºF for 45 to 60 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking, add the oil, vegetables, garlic, seasonings, and salt to a pan, cooking over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes until fully cooked through.
- Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and with a fork, scrape the flesh from the peel. It should flake off easily in strings, resembling spaghetti.
- Place the spaghetti squash flesh in a bowl. Add the cooked veggies, pasta sauce, and half of the cheese and mix well. Return to the shells or put into a casserole dish. Sprinkle the other half of the cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Allow to cool for five minutes, serve, and enjoy.