When you sink your teeth into these incredible Instant Pot carnitas, you are going to be in food heaven. Succulent, juicy pork that’s fall-apart tender paired with your favorite toppings, what’s not to love? You can never go wrong with some of these mouthwatering pork carnitas.
Instant Pot Carnitas – Keto, Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, THM S
If you love Mexican food (and who doesn’t), you’re going to be so impressed with the flavor of this pork carnitas recipe. Whether you have a specific night of the week that you eat tacos or you make Mexican food anytime, you’ll want to add these to your rotation.
Don’t get me wrong, eating tacos, burritos or enchiladas do taste great with traditional ground beef. But, I long for flavor, texture, and something different. This pork carnitas recipe gives me the variety I’m looking for. You don’t even need to eat it on anything; you can just toss it in a bowl, add some toppings, and away you go.
What are Carnitas?
I’ve done all this talking about how delicious these pork carnitas are, but I haven’t told you exactly what they are yet. Essentially, carnitas are the same thing as pulled pork; only it’s made with Mexican spices instead of barbecue-style ingredients.
You can eat it as a bowl, in a lettuce wrap, on a gluten-free tortilla, in tacos, as an enchilada or anything else that’s Mexican flavored. The meat pulls apart quickly with a couple of forks and goes with so many dishes.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Carnitas
- pork shoulder
- garlic cloves
- dried oregano
- smoked paprika
- ground cumin
- orange zest
- ground black pepper
How to Make Instant Pot Carnitas
I will warn you after you make these pork shoulder carnitas the first time, you are going to crave them! They do take a little bit of time to cook, but they are entirely worth the wait. You can catch up on other projects while they are cooking away.
First Step: Make sure the inner pot is inserted in the Instant Pot then add the pork shoulder pieces, jalapeno, chopped garlic, onion, salt, oregano, paprika, cumin, orange zest and pepper to it. Mix everything, so it’s combined well.
Second Step: Cook the pork mixture for 40 minutes using manual high pressure.
Third Step: Once the pork carnitas are done cooking, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release. Then shred the meat in a large bowl, serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
How to Serve Carnitas Toppings
There are no wrong answers when it comes to toppings as long as they fit your dietary requirements. Here are a few of my favorite toppings that pair beautifully with this pork shoulder carnitas recipe:
- Cheese – You can use any kind of cheese you prefer. I like cheddar, but anything would work!
- Onions – Dice up some red onions and add them to the carnitas for a burst of flavor.
- Avocado – If you want to add some good fat to your diet, avocado is super creamy and delicious. It’s full of nutrients too.
- Sour Cream – All I can say is yum! Add a tablespoon of sour cream and enjoy.
- Lettuce – You can use iceberg, spinach, romaine, or anything else you love with your tacos.
- Tomatoes – I love the flavor of fresh-cut tomatoes with anything that’s Mexican flavored.
- Keto Tortillas – try this recipe for low carb tortillas
- Cilantro – Can you even have pork carnitas without a little bit (or a lot if that’s what you like) of cilantro?
- Salsa – Use your favorite keto salsa to add some additional flavors to this dish. So good!
- Jalapenos – Chop up some fresh peppers and add them as a topping for a little bit of heat. Remove the seeds if you don’t want them to be too hot.
- Lime Juice – Drizzle a little bit of fresh lime juice just before serving. Adds a hint of tanginess that pairs perfectly with the orange zest in the pork carnitas.
- Cauliflower Rice – Cook up some cauliflower rice to give yourself some added nutrients and texture.
Is Carnitas Spicy?
Generally, these Instant Pot carnitas aren’t terribly spicy. You can always add extra jalapenos if you want them to be spicer. Or add a dash or two of cayenne pepper to get some added heat. Additionally, when you add your toppings, choose items that have lots of spice if that’s what you like. Or enjoy them as-is for a mild, but flavorful dinner option.
Can Carnitas Be Made With Beef?
Yes, you can make this pressure cooker carnitas recipe with beef instead of pork if you would rather. Just use a roast and cut it up instead of pork shoulder. Follow the rest of the directions as written, and it should turn out perfectly.
How Do You Store Instant Pot Pork Carnitas?
Store any leftover pork carnitas in the refrigerator in a sealed container. It will last 4-5 days and can be reheated easily. When you are ready to serve, just toss a little bit of olive oil in a skillet and add the cooked pork. Frying it in the pan will crisp up the edges of the pork and give it a little bit of crunch.
You can also warm the meat up in the microwave if you want. Just cover and heat it for a minute or two until it’s hot.
Can You Freeze Carnitas?
Yes, you can freeze carnitas rather easily. Place the meat in a freezer-safe bag, flatten it out and freeze. Or you can place it in another freezer container if that works better for you. I like bags because once they are frozen, I can move them around to make more room in the freezer for other foods.
Defrost it in the refrigerator overnight and warm it up prior to serving.
If you can’t get enough of these pork carnitas, try out some of my other Mexican dishes:
And don’t for about this Instant Pot Turkey Chili!
- Place pork, jalapeno, garlic, salt, oregano, paprika, cumin, orange zest, and pepper in the Instant Pot. Mix until well combined. Cook on manual high pressure for 40 minutes.
- Release the pressure naturally. Transfer the meat to a large bowl and shred. Serve with your favorite toppings.