Homemade Keto Enchilada Sauce is incredible and goes with so many recipes. Add it to all your favorite Mexican dishes to get lots of vibrant flavors. This is a must-have easy enchilada sauce recipe that only takes around 10 minutes to prepare. And the bonus is that it is low carb, grain-free, and gluten-free too.
I’ll admit back in the day; I used to buy canned enchilada sauce. I thought it was really my only option because I figured it would take forever to make it myself. Boy, was I wrong! Making homemade red enchilada sauce is so fast and easy to make. And it tastes much better than anything you can buy at a grocery store. But I don’t want you to take my word; I want you to try it for yourself. You will see very quickly how delicious and simple it is to make.
If you are like me, you would expect a sauce so incredible needs to sit and simmer for hours and hours. Nope. My low carb keto enchilada sauce recipe can be made and cooked in just 10 minutes. Could it truly be that easy? Yes, it sure is. Okay, time to show you exactly how to make it yourself. Don’t forget to try out my Keto Fajita Seasoning while you are at it!
Is Enchilada Sauce Keto?
Regular enchilada sauce is not keto friendly. It generally has cornstarch and added sugar. It is much better to make your own with this keto enchilada recipe.
What You’ll Need:
- Butter - I usually use salted butter. It's what we prefer so I adjust the salt accordingly.
- Coconut Flour - Adding the coconut flour will help form a roux, which is needed to get the right texture for a homemade enchilada sauce.
- Chili Powder - Along with the other spices, chili powder will give the sauce an incredible flavor.
- Cumin - Cumin is one of my favorite spices and goes well in any Mexican dish.
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- Tomato Paste - One of the most essential ingredients is tomato paste. It will give the enchilada sauce the deep red color it typically has as well. By using tomato paste instead of reducing tomato sauce you save time as well.
- Broth - Either chicken stock or vegetable broth would work well.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - Don’t consider skipping the vinegar. It gives the sauce that little bit of tang!
- Optional: Xanthan Gum - Just a pinch works perfectly to thicken the sauce.
How To Make Keto Enchilada Sauce
This is a mild enchilada sauce recipe but if you want a spicy enchilada sauce you can adjust it to your preference!
Step One: Start by melting the butter in a saucepan using medium heat.
Then add in the coconut flour along with the spices and form a roux.
Add in the tomato paste and whisk. Pour in the broth and continue to whisk until it’s smooth and there aren’t any clumps.
Step Two: Let the sauce simmer for 2-3 minutes, then add in the apple cider vinegar. Sprinkle the xanthan gum on top of the sauce and whisk until it’s thickened. Use right away or cool and keep in a sealed container for later use in keto recipes.
How Do You Store Enchilada Sauce?
If you aren’t planning to eat the gluten free enchilada sauce right away, you can keep it in the refrigerator. As always, keep the sauce in a sealed container. I like to use mason jars or other glass jars. It seems to last longer in glass, but plastic will be fine as well. It will last around 1 1 ½ weeks if kept cold.
Is It Okay To Freeze Keto Enchilada Sauce?
Sure! Freezing the sauce is a great idea, especially if you like to do a lot of meal prepping. Pour the low carb enchilada sauce into a freezer bag and fill it ⅔ full. Remove any excess air and place it in the freezer. Make sure to label the bag with the date and the contents, so you know what’s inside. It will last 2-3 months in the freezer—Thaw in the fridge before adding to your favorite recipes.
What Do I Serve With The Sauce?
Naturally, if you are making some low-carb enchiladas, this sugar free enchilada sauce is a must. It’s delicious and will make the enchiladas taste even better. You can also add the sauce to your favorite low carb diet recipes for soup, tacos, casseroles, cauliflower rice, shredded chicken, ground beef, ground turkey, and the list goes on. This sauce isn’t strictly for keto low carb enchiladas only. Once you add it to a few other low carb recipes, you will be amazed by how tasty it is with other foods.
My recipe for keto chicken enchiladas is the best way to use this sauce!
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the coconut flour and spices and whisk to form the roux. Whisk in the tomato paste. Add the broth and whisk until smooth.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the vinegar. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the top. Whisk until slightly thickened. Use immediately or refrigerate for later.