One taste, and you’ll be smacking your lips when you try this easy Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice recipe. It’s vibrant, flavorful, and simple to make. It will easily fit into your keto diet as well as gluten-free, grain-free, and low carb.
If you are one of the people who never ate cauliflower before eating keto, I can totally relate. Cauliflower is one of those foods that, on its own, it doesn’t have much flavor at all. But when you add spices, seasonings, and other ingredients, you’ll be amazed at how quickly it transforms into something utterly amazing.
This Mediterranean cauliflower rice has taken over my home by storm. The flavors are seriously so good; I am wondering why I didn’t start eating it sooner. I have been making Dirty Cauliflower Rice for a while, so I knew I could make something with a Mediterranean spin. It turned out incredible, so I am pleased to be sharing it with you.
What You’ll Need
Ten ingredients plus salt and pepper is all you need, and the results are unforgettable. Let’s take a look at what they are.
- Cauliflower - Try to find a fresh medium-large-sized head cauliflower. The more, the better if you ask me. You can sub in prepared riced cauliflower from the produce section.
- Green Beans - There is no substitute for fresh chopped green beans. They taste great and give the dish some color too.
- Corn - While corn isn’t traditionally Mediterranean or low carb, we like the hint of sweetness it adds. You only need ¼ cup for the entire recipe. If you prefer to omit it you may.
- Garlic - You can never go wrong adding garlic to cauliflower rice. It’s pretty yummy.
- Red Pepper Flakes - They add a slight spice to the dish. You can always add more if you want it to be spicier.
- Olive Oil - It’s okay to use avocado or coconut oil if you’d rather.
- Cilantro - Fresh chopped cilantro takes it to the next level.
- Zaatar Spice Mix - This is a combination of sesame seeds, sumac, and other spices. You can purchase it premade or make your own.
- Lemon Juice - I love the tang that some fresh lemon juice provides.
- Tahini - Earthy and delicious, tahini is made from sesame seeds. A little tahini is an excellent addition to Mediterranean cauliflower rice. Plus, it’s used often in Mediterranean cuisine.
How To make Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice
I’m pretty much drooling as I type these directions for you. Let’s take a look at these easy steps.
Step One: Cut up the cauliflower into medium-sized pieces. Discard the core. Then work in batches and place the pieces of cauliflower in your food processor. Be sure to use the S-Blade.
Step Two: Place the cauliflower rice in a clean muslin towel. Give it a twist and squeeze out any extra water.
Step Three: Heat the olive oil in a skillet and add in the garlic. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 10-20 seconds.
Step Four: Add the beans and corn to the garlic and toss. Mix in the cauliflower rice, spice mix, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined and cook. Cook for 7-10 minutes, making sure to stir every minute or so.
Step Five: Take the pan off the heat and mix in the cilantro, lime juice, and tahini. Season with additional salt and pepper, serve, and enjoy!
Variations of Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice
There are several healthy options you can consider including in this gluten free Mediterranean style cauliflower rice dish. You can mix them in or serve in small bowls on the side and let everyone choose their own toppings. Take a look for inspiration:
- Olives - If you are a fan of zesty olives, chop up some black or green ones and mix in.
- Tomatoes - Cherry or grape tomatoes are going to give you some subtle sweetness. You can also chop up Roma tomatoes too. Sometimes I add Sun dried tomatoes that have been rehydrated for a more potent flavor. Sundried tomatoes are one of my favorite umami foods. I love them in this sun dried tomato quiche.
- Feta Cheese - When eating any food from a Mediterranean country, feta is a common ingredient. Sprinkle it on top before serving.
- Herbs - I love the flavor of fresh cilantro with the other ingredients. However, if you wanted to use fresh parsley, oregano, or dill, they would all work well.
- Roasted Vegetables - We roast veggies a lot in my house. Everything from onions and peppers to zucchini and mushrooms. Adding leftover air fryer roast vegetables to this side dish is a great way to bulk it up.
How Do You Store Leftovers?
After it cools, place the Mediterranean cauliflower rice in the fridge in a sealed container. It will last around 3-4 days. Heat it in the microwave or in a skillet for a quick side dish.
Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice
- 1 medium-to-large head of cauliflower
- ½ cup chopped green beans
- ¼ cup corn kernels optional
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon zaatar spice mix
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon tahini
- Cut the head of cauliflower into medium pieces and throw away the core. Work in batches, pulse the chunks in a food processor with the S-blade until you’re left with tiny pieces.
- Wrap the cauliflower rice in a clean muslin towel and twist, and squeeze as much water as possible from the rice.
- Add the olive oil to the pan, after it gets hot add the garlic. Cook while stirring until the garlic is fragrant, that'll take about 10 to 20 seconds. Add the beans and corn toss it for few seconds, add cauliflower rice, zaatar spice mix, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper, and stir to combine.
- Cook, stir every minute or so until the cauliflower rice is hot and turns golden in various places, this may take anywhere around 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the tahini, cilantro, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve warm.
In the mood for more Mediterranean-inspired recipes? Check these out:
- Mediterranean Chicken & Spinach Casserole
- Crock Pot Mediterranean Chicken
- Mediterranean Cheese Spread
- Baked Greek Chicken with Feta & Dill