Keto Empanadas are unbelievably delicious and bursting with flavor. They have a crispy crust that is filled with shredded pork, onions, and the perfect amount of cilantro. Great for an easy dinner option or a party appetizer. They are grain-free, gluten-free, keto, and low carb.
I essentially took a classic dish and transformed it to fit into my keto lifestyle. I am so glad that I did and knew you would want to try it too. They are super addictive and seriously so flavorful it's hard to eat just one...so you make them small enough that you get 3 per serving! YUM!
These pork empanadas can be baked or fried! So depending on what kind of mood you are in, you can enjoy them either way. They are super simple to make and only take 25 minutes total.
If you host dinner parties for friends or family, I'm telling you that you should make these empanadas. Everyone will be raving about them, and you will have an awesome low carb dish you can enjoy without a lot of fuss.
Keeping the ingredients simple is going to make it easier to make. Here are the things you are going to need to make them.
- Almond Flour - Mixing both almond flour and coconut flour together will give you a delicious crust.
- Coconut Flour - Don't skip adding coconut flour because it gives you the best results.
- Butter - I highly recommend using cold butter. It's the only way to get the crust to turn out good.
- Water - Just like with the butter, make sure to use cold water.
- Egg - One egg is all you need, and you'll be all set.
- Salt - I like to include just a touch of salt to make it taste the best.
- Shredded Pork - Can you ever have too many recipes with pulled pork? Adding the pork to the empanadas is incredible.
- Minced Onion - The onion is going to add lots of flavor, so I don't recommend leaving it out. Even if you don't like onions, because they are minced so small, you probably won't even notice them.
- Cilantro - Nothing is tastier than some fresh cilantro in this dish. If you aren't interested in cilantro, that's fine! You can use oregano instead.
- Tomato Paste - Adding some tomato paste will make the filling juicy and gives it the right texture.
- Seasonings - I like to keep the seasonings simple, like some garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
How To Make Keto Empanadas
Okay, let's get busy on these directions so you can sink your teeth into these low carb empanadas.
Step One: Prepare the crust by combining the almond flour, coconut flour, butter, water, egg, and salt together in a food processor and mix until smooth.
Step Two: Next, roll out the empanada dough in between 2 greased pieces of parchment paper. Then cut into circles that are 2-inches. Continue to re-roll the dough and make them into circles until you use all the dough.
Step Three: Combine the filling ingredients together.
Step Four: Put a heaping spoonful of the filling on each circle. Then gently fold in half and seal the edges using your hands. Then take a fork and crimp the edges.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and add parchment paper to a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Any oil that you like will work. Fry them for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Or try this method to turn this recipe into air fryer empanadas!
Top Tips For Keto Empanadas
- Don't overfill the keto empanadas, or they may leak out filling as they cook. Stick with about 1 heaping tablespoon full for best results.
- Don't skip crimping them with a fork. This will ensure that they stay closed as they cook, and you don't end up losing the filling.
- It's normal for the crust to crack a little as it cooks. There isn't anything you can do to prevent this issue, and they will taste amazing no matter what.
- You can use a small cup or bowl that is round to cut the circles. Or you can use a small round cookie cutter.
Substitutions for Keto Empanadas
If you like cheese in your empanadas you are welcome to add in some shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese. You can even mix cream cheese into the filling for a creamy center. I do this in my taco empanadas.
What Do You Dip Empanadas In?
First of all, you can eat them plain without dipping them in anything. However, they are outstanding in your favorite sauce. I like to dip them in sour cream, salsa, ranch dressing, cilantro crema, or keto guacamole. Go wild and see which way you like them the best.
Can I Use Different Kinds Of Meat?
Sure! I love the keto pulled pork, but you can absolutely try out some other meats. Want beef empanadas? Add browned ground beef. They are also great with ground turkey and shredded chicken from my Instant Pot Chicken Tenders recipe or this Tajin Chicken. You can even make a batch with multiple types of meat to see what you like best.
Vegetarian empanadas? Add a combination of mashed black beans and cauliflower rice.
Check out my How To Make Taco Meat & Homemade Taco Seasoning post because this simple taco meat is one of our absolutely favorite keto recipes!
- Combine the crust ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Roll out the dough between two pieces of greased parchment paper. Cut circles using a 2-inch circle. Reroll the extra dough and make more circles until it is all used up.
- Stir together the cooked meat and seasonings.
- Put a heaping teaspoon of meat filling on each circle. Fold in half and seal the edges with your fingers. Press lines into the edges with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 400. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Heat oil of your choice to medium-high. Fry for 2-3 minutes per side.
Get the Joy Filled Eats Keto eBook Bundle!
Over 100 easy recipes w/photos & nutrition info.