Chicken skewered with vibrant summer veggies grilled and served with a generous topping of fresh chimichurri sauce. These Chimichurri Chicken Skewers are a great dinner or party appetizer!
Grilled Chimichurri Chicken Skewers - Keto, Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Paleo, Whole30, Dairy-Free, THM S
Hey there! It's Kailey from Living Fresh Daily back for another guest post. Today I'm sharing a super easy summer dinner recipe for Chimichurri Chicken Skewers!
There's just something about summer that makes me crave grilled meats and veggies.
There are few other cooking methods that can bring out as much flavor from the simplest of ingredients as grilling.
And what better way to grill than with skewers or kabobs? Their easy, beautiful, and most importantly full of flavor! You are able to get the perfect bite every time.
These colorful keto chicken skewers are especially easy, and healthy too!
They're low in carbs and calories and high in protein, vitamins, and minerals. What's not to love?
Although they're easy, there are a few helpful tips for Chimichurri Chicken Skewersto keep in mind before you get started:
Soak The Skewers
If you are using wooden skewers, it's important to soak them in water before grilling, otherwise, they will completely burn!
I soaked mine for about 30 minutes on a baking sheet with enough water to cover them.
Metal skewers work just fine and you can skip the soaking step, but be careful not to overcook with metal skewers or the veggies can start to slip off.
Cut Veggies Into Big Bite-Sized Chunks
You'll want to cut your veggies into slightly bigger than bite-sized chunks.
As they grill, the veggies will shrink, so for the perfect sized veggies, you will want to start slightly bigger than what you want.
It is also important to slice the veggies thicker than you normally would for other dishes.
The veggies will cook faster than the chicken so you want to start with thicker slices that will take a longer time to cook. That way everything comes out perfect and evenly charred when you're done.
For the veggies like the tomatoes or onion that are small or thin, stack a few of them together.
Pack It Close And Alternate
The best skewers or kabobs are packed tightly while alternating ingredients.
This technique helps to make sure that all the juices and flavors of each ingredient are combining to make for a super flavorful end result.
How To Make An Easy Chimichurri Sauce
It's amazing how flavorful simple veggies and chicken lightly seasoned with salt and pepper can be on the grill.
But if you really want to take your skewers to the next level, then chimichurri is the perfect sauce/topping.
I keep my chimichurri sauce super easy and basic. No excessive ingredients and no food processor/blender.
Actually, I just use the 5 base ingredients found in most chimichurri recipes:
- Cilantro - this flavorful herb is the key component in all chimichurri sauces
- Garlic - garlic adds a powerful punch of flavor
- Olive Oil - olive oil is the key liquid ingredient that turns chimichurri from a paste into a flavor-packed sauce
- Lime Juice - adds needed acidity to the sauce to balance the flavors
- Cumin - the most important and only spice needed (in my opinion) in a great chimichurri sauce
Instead of adding these ingredients to a food processor and making more dishes to wash, I just finely mince the cilantro leaves and use a garlic press to mince the garlic.
Then it's as easy as stirring everything together!
Grilled chimichurri chicken skewers are the perfect summer dinner when you need an easy recipe to feed the family!
Chicken & Veggie Skewers
- 1 zucchini slice into rounds
- 1 bell pepper cubed
- 1 red onion cut into wedges
- 5 oz cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 chicken breasts cut into bite sized chunks
- ½ cup cilantro leaves minced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice or juice from 1 fresh lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- If you are using wood skewers, soak the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. If you are using metal skewers, skip to step 2.
- While skewers soak, prep the veggies. Remove ends from zucchini and slice into rounds. Core and seed bell pepper then cut into square pieces. Peel the onion and cut into wedges. Halve cherry tomatoes.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Skewer the chicken and veggies, alternating between all the ingredients. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add skewers to the grill, and cook until slightly charred about 15-20 minutes. Turn skewers every 5 minutes for an even char.
- While skewers cook, make the chimichurri sauce. Start by finely mincing ½ cup of cilantro leaves. In a bowl, combine minced cilantro leaves, 4 tbsp olive oil, lime juice, cumin, and minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once skewers are done grilling, top with chimichurri sauce and serve.
Looking for more Low Carb Grilling Recipes? Try these:
Get the Joy Filled Eays Keto eBook Bundle!
Over 100 easy recipes w/photos & nutrition info.