Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup is an incredible dish that will keep that entire family satisfied. Great for all occasions, delicious, and super easy to make. Plump chicken simmered perfectly with fresh cilantro, garlic, onions, tomatoes, and more.
There are plenty of bland soups out there that lack flavor and that extra bit of pizzazz, but this chicken soup isn’t one of them! It’s one of my all-time favorites and on my regular recipe rotation. Most of my picky eaters will even eat it!
I like soups that are hearty and have a lot to them instead of just the watery broth style. There is a time and a place for them too, but when I get a craving for some soup, it’s more like this chicken tortilla soup, Keto Zuppa Toscana, or my Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup.
In addition to being keto, this chicken taco soup stands out because it’s very versatile and easily customized. If you have someone who doesn’t like avocado or tomatoes, you can simply leave them out. Don’t you just love those kinds of keto recipes?
What You’ll Need for Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Avocado Oil - Adding avocado oil to your diet is a great way to get in some extra antioxidants. You can also swap it for olive oil too.
- Onion - Mixing in some chopped onion will add some extra flavor and texture.
- Garlic - Mince two cloves of garlic or more if you are feeling like having some extra.
- Jalapeno - Remove the seeds and chop the jalapeno up fine. It’s easier to eat and cooks more tender when it’s chopped up finely. OR use green pepper to cut back on the heat.
- Broth - I prefer chicken broth. You can use canned or homemade. It’s fine to exchange it for veggie broth too.
- Diced Tomatoes - The tomatoes add some color to the soup as well as flavor too. I prefer canned over fresh for this recipe.
- Chicken Thighs - The main ingredient is obviously the chicken. It’s fine to use chicken breast too.
- Cumin - Using cumin gives it that traditional tortilla soup flavor!
- Fresh Lime Juice - I recommend only use fresh if you can help it. I love the zesty flavor it adds.
- Cilantro - There is nothing better than fresh cilantro!
- Salt & Pepper - You’ll just need to add however much you like.
And then toppings of your choice:
- Tortilla - Use your favorite go-to low carb tortilla and slice it into thin pieces.
- Avocado - These beautiful green fruits are filled with folate, magnesium, vitamin C, and so much more.
- Cheese - I prefer cheddar cheese, but you could use a different variety if you’d rather. Pepper Jack would add some fun spice!
- Sour Cream - We love to add sour cream to our soup! It’s so good!
How To Make Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup
I can’t wait for you to try this chicken tortilla soup. Let’s take a look at the steps to get you started:
Step One: Heat the oil in a saucepan and add onions. Cook until soft, then mix in the garlic and jalapenos. Cook for an additional minute. Add the chicken broth and the tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
Step Two: Lower the heat to low and add in the chicken. Cook for 20-25 minutes at a simmer until the chicken is done. Then remove the chicken and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Shred the chicken with two forks. Set aside.
OPTIONAL: If you are looking for a creamy chicken taco soup simply mix in 8 ounces of cream cheese after you remove the chicken to shred it.
Step Three: Drizzle the lime juice, cumin, and cilantro into the soup. Place the shredded chicken back into the soup and season with salt and pepper. Serve with grilled tortilla chips, lime wedges, avocado slices, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
Can I Make This in an Instant Pot or Slow Cooker?
Sure! This low carb soup is so versatile it can be cooked in a myriad of ways.
If you want to use the instant pot saute the vegetables in the first step as directed. Then, add the broth, tomatoes, and chicken. Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Remove the chicken and shred it as soon as it is cool enough to handle. Add it back with the remaining ingredients.
For the slow cooker or crockpot: add the onions, garlic, peppers, chicken, broth, and tomatoes all at once. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken and add the rest of the ingredients.
Do I Have To Use A Tortilla?
No, if you want to skip it, it’s more than fine. Just make sure if you do use a tortilla that it’s low carb. If you want to make your own gluten free tortillas try one of these low carb recipes: Almond Flour Tortillas and Nut Free Tortillas.
Can I Use Rotisserie Chicken?
Sure, using leftover rotisserie chicken is an easy way to add flavor without having to cook it. You can skip letting it simmer for 20 minutes like you would the chicken thighs. Add it to the soup when you add in the lime juice and cumin. Simmer for a couple of minutes until hot and enjoy!
Can I Double This Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe?
Certainly! I recommend when doubling or tripling the recipe to use a really large stockpot. It’s wonderful for feeding a lot of hungry people. Everyone will love this low carb chicken tortilla soup, so I strongly advise making it for a large group.
How Do You Store Leftovers?
Give the soup plenty of time to cool down, then pour it into an airtight container. It will last in the refrigerator for around 4-5 days. You can also freeze it for several months. You can reheat the soup in a pot using low-medium heat or in the microwave.
- One low carb tortilla toasted and cut into thin strips
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- In a large saucepan heat the oil. Add the onions and cook until softened. Then, add the garlic and jalapeno and cook for another minute.
- Pour the chicken broth and tomatoes into the pot and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and add the chicken. Cook the chicken at a simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked remove it from the pot and cool for 5 minutes and then shred it. Set aside.
- Add the cumin, lime juice, and fresh cilantro to the soup. Add the chicken back to the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with lime wedges, tortilla strips, avocado, cheese, and sour cream.