There is something so warm and comforting about a hot bowl of homemade soup. And Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Bacon is one of the best out there. The only way I could think to improve this classic was to top it with bacon, sour cream, and extra cheese. Loading Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup with toppings takes it to a whole new level.
Broccoli cheese soup is one of my favorite winter comfort foods. It is a classic that I've loved for years and years. I made my own simple version a few years ago. It only has four ingredients plus salt and pepper! Add a few optional toppings to kick it up and you have a winning dinner.
How to Make Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Step 1: Cook the broccoli in the broth.
Step 2: Puree the broccoli with the stock and cream using an immersion blender. Add the cheese.
Step 3: Stir until the cheese melts. Put into bowls. Add toppings and enjoy.
Instant Pot or Stovetop?
I made my soup in my Instant Pot in under 20 minutes. You can definitely make this in a pot on the stove instead. The easiest way to puree soup is with an immersion blender. No messy transferring of hot liquids, just blending right in the pot.
Can I Blend The Soup In A Blender?
Yes, you can blend the soup in a blender, but you need to be extra careful because it will be super hot. Let the soup cool for a few minutes, so it’s not boiling hot. Make sure to use hot pads to carry the pan or Instant Pot insert, and you’ll need to pour it in very slowly. Also, make sure you keep your hand on the lid, so it doesn’t shoot off the top of the blender.
Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup Soup Variations
I love everything about this soup the way that it is written. But if you want to try out some other ingredients in the soup, feel free to add in some extra! Take a look at these ideas:
- Onions - Dice up a few onions and saute them in the Instant Pot or in a skillet and add toss them into the soup. So yummy!
- Cauliflower - You can use 1 head of cauliflower with 1 head of broccoli to give the soup a fun flavor combination.
- Carrots - Not only will the carrots add some color to the soup, but they will also enhance the flavor and give you some additional nutrients too.
- Thyme - Add some thyme to the soup to have some extra flavor. I would start with ½ teaspoon, so it’s not overwhelming.
Is this Soup Vegetarian?
No, this recipe for broccoli cheese soup is not vegetarian, however, with a couple of adjustments it could be. Simply swap out the chicken broth for a vegetable broth. Also, you can skip adding the crumbled cooked bacon to the top of the broccoli cheese soup. Then it would be completely fine to eat if you are following a vegetarian eating plan.
How Do You Store Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup?
You should always let the soup cool down, then pour it into an airtight container and put it in the refrigerator. The broccoli soup will store well in glass or plastic. It will last 4-5 days in the fridge and make lovely leftovers. You can even put the soup in individual containers to grab as a quick and simple lunch idea.
Can You Freeze Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup?
Yes, you can easily freeze broccoli cheese soup. It’s important to let it cool down, so it’s not hot when you freeze it. Pour the cooled soup into a glass container, freezer-safe bag, or plastic container. Make sure to leave some room at the top of the container you choose because it will expand and could break or tear.
The low carb broccoli cheese soup will last around 4-6 months in the freezer. It’s great to keep on hand, so you have something you can add for a quick dinner option that is ready to go.
How Do You Reheat Broccoli Cheese Soup?
Pour the soup into a saucepan and heat it up very slowly. You don’t want to heat the soup quickly, or it may end up grainy. You can also warm the soup up in the microwave too. Just heat it for a couple of minutes, stir and heat it some more. After it’s hot, it’s ready to eat!
Why Is My Cream of Broccoli Soup Grainy?
If you end up with grainy broccoli cheese soup, it’s most likely due to the cheese getting too hot. When it cooks at too high of heat or too quickly, then it will curdle and cause a grainy texture. That’s why it is super important not to add the cheese until right before you are serving it. This will prevent it from sitting on the stovetop too long or in the Instant Pot too long. If you follow the directions, you shouldn’t have this trouble, but sometimes it can happen.
If your soup ends up grainy, there isn’t anything you can do to reverse it, unfortunately. You can still eat it, but the texture and flavor may be slightly off.
What Nutrients Do I Get From Eating Broccoli Cheese Soup?
There are many nutrients that you get when you eat this Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup. This soup boasts lots of yummy flavors as well as potassium, vitamin C, fiber, iron, vitamin K, calcium, protein, and so much more. You can feel good about this soup!
More low carb soups:
Want a yummy keto bread to go with your soup? Try these!
- 6 slices of bacon , cooked until crisp and chopped
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 tbsp sour cream
- Instant Pot: Add the metal rack, broccoli, and broth. Cook on manual, high pressure, for 3 minutes. Do a quick pressure release. Remove the rack. Add the cream and seasonings. Puree until smooth with an immersion blender (Or transfer to a regular blender and then transfer back to the pot). Add the cheese and stir until melted. Ladle into bowls and top as desired.
- Stove Top: Add the broccoli and broth to a large stock pot. Cook medium-high, covered, for about 10-15 minutes until the broccoli is tender. Add the cream and seasonings. Puree until smooth. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Ladle into bowls and top as desired.
Originally Published on March 31, 2017. Revised and Republished on January 21, 2020.