Caramel Pecan Turtle Bark. The ultimate indulgence. This tastes like the very best caramel pecan turtle from a chocolate shop but it is healthier, cheaper, and so easy to make at home.
One of my favorite things around Christmas is the popular toffee made with saltine crackers.
You lay the crackers on a baking sheet, microwave butter and brown sugar (and vanilla, maybe?) and pour it on top of the crackers. Bake for a bit, sprinkle chocolate chips on top, spread the melted chocolate, cool, and eat the whole tray. Did I say that? Not the best option for any diet.
This Caramel Pecan Turtle Bark reminds me of that holiday treat. I’m thrilled to have a suitable alternative when the Christmas cookie and candy trays start appearing.
My pieces are a bit big. They are fine if you just want one piece for dessert. Next time I’m going to cut them smaller so I can have several. I’m one of those people who prefers three little cookies to one huge cookie.
Make sure to use coarse salt. It gives these a bit of crunch!
The caramel in the photo above still needs to cook a bit longer. It is done when it is deep brown and very fragrant. I’ve also noticed that when it’s done it will also stop bubbling up when stirred. Don’t rely on that to tell when it has cooked enough though. The color is much more reliable.
Caramel Pecan Turtle Bark – Low Carb, Sugar-Free, THM S, Keto
I have not tried these with any other sweeteners. I am not sure if you can sub in a different sweetener. I prefer my sweetener blend to any other I’ve tried to I use it in all my recipes.
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook! Love this recipe? Tag me on Instagram: @joyfilledeats, and leave a comment & 5-star rating right here! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by getting email updates!
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
Yields 24 pieces
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 1 cup Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet (or my sweetener blend)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 3 cups pecans, toasted
- 8 oz sugar-free chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- Combine the sweetener, cream, and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown and thickened. Depending on the heat of your stovetop this can take 10-15 minutes. Watch it carefully.
- Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the caramel over the pecans.
- Put the chocolate chips in the saucepan. You do not need to wash it first. Put it back on the stove over very low heat. The lowest your stovetop goes. Stir until the chocolate chips have melted. Drizzle on top of the caramel and pecans. Spread gently.
- Sprinkle with the coarse salt. Refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened.
- Cut the Caramel Pecan Turtle Bark into small squares. The caramel side will be gooey. Turn one upside down and with another square so the caramel is in the center. Serve immediately or store in the fridge. The caramel will firm up into more of a toffee consistency with refrigeration.
|Amount Per Serving, 24 servings per recipe|
Total Fat 16g
Saturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrates 3g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 0%