These Salted Caramel Chocolate Squares are simply amazing. With a buttery crust and a beautifully swirled topping of caramel and chocolate dusted with sea salt, they look like a treat from a fancy bakery.
Any time I have heavy cream to use up the first things I think of are ice cream or caramel. Since my freezer is packed and my ice cream maker bowl is not frozen I simply had to make caramel this time.
Oh, what a sad day it was. Not.
I’ve been wanting to make a caramel bar for some time so I whipped up my Easy Pie Crust, poured some homemade caramel sauce on top, swirled in chocolate, sprinkled with sea salt, and called it a day. A very nice day it was.
I love the gorgeous swirls on these bars and the way the sea salt glistens in the light. They are delicious, easy to make, and pretty. Those are the best kinds of desserts.
If you don’t like chocolate (I knew someone like that once) feel free to leave it off and just make a salted caramel bar. I really want to try these without the chocolate and with some thinly sliced apple in the layer of caramel. I think it would give them a nice texture and only increase the carbs a little bit.
The color of homemade caramel is so vibrant. I love the sweet smell of it bubbling away on the stove.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Squares – Low Carb, Grain Gluten Sugar Free, THM S, Keto
In my dessert recipes, I normally use Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet which is a combination of xylitol, erythritol, and stevia or my own sweetener blend of the same three ingredients. My sweetener can be switched with Gentle Sweet in any recipes.
The crust for this can seem dry when you process it in the food processor. Don’t worry! Just keep the machine going and within a few minutes, it comes together into a dough.
Like what you see? Follow me on Facebook! Love this recipe? Tag me on Instagram: @joyfilledeats, and leave a comment & 5-star rating right here! Make sure you don’t miss new recipes by getting email updates!
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
Yields 16 squares
4.4 based on 5 review(s)
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 5 tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet (or my sweetener blend)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar-free chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Line the bottom of a 9 inch square cake pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the crust ingredients in a food processor until the dough comes together. Press into the bottom of the prepared cake pan. Bake for 16-20 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the sweetener, cream, and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown and thickened. Depending on the heat of your stovetop this can take 10-15 minutes. Watch it carefully. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the caramel over the cooled crust. Put dollops of the melted chocolate ever inch or two. Use a butter knife to gently swirl them together. Sprinkle with the sea salt.
- Store at room temperature for 2-3 days. You can refrigerate for longer storage but the caramel will firm up.
|Amount Per Serving|
Total Fat 24g
Saturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrates 2g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 0%