Pecan Danish have a golden pastry filled with a homemade sweet pecan butter and topped with crunchy pecans. They are perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee while you get ready to start your day. This easy keto danish recipe is also low carb, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
My husband and I were blessed to enjoy a week in Scotland last month. This is the first of several recipes inspired by that trip. This isn't a very Scottish recipe if you can't tell but I did have a wonderful Pecan Danish in the Motel One we stayed at in Edinburgh. I feel a bit silly basing a recipe off of a pastry from a hotel buffet but they really were delicious.
These are best slightly warm right from the oven or reheated in the microwave for a few seconds. The filling reminds me of pecan pie and I may add a pinch of cinnamon next time I make them.
The mozzarella dough I use was inspired by the first mozzarella dough I ever tried. The lovely Cheese Danish from Up Late Anyway.
The easiest way to mix it is in a food processor. And then you can use the food processor to make the pecan butter as well.
I went a little overboard on the filling. I realized after my first try I had to scale it back to ¾ of the amount for this recipe that way your filling doesn't overflow like mine did.
I also played around with brushing the Danish with egg whites before the pecans or just sprinkling them on top. The egg white was not needed. The pecans stuck to the dough without it.
You can use any nut in this recipe! Walnuts, almonds, macadamia nuts, pistachios, or an assortment.
You can also play around with the shape of these. Make little pizzas, circles, squares, whatever you like! Even make it into one big Danish and braid it like my Braided Blueberry Cheese Danish.
- 8 oz mozzarella
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup ground golden flax or additional almond flour
- 2 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Pecan Filling Ingredients:
- ¾ cup pecans
- 1.5 tablespoon softened butter
- 3 tablespoon Joy Filled Eats Sweetener (or see alternatives in recipe notes)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Put cheese in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave one minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds. Stir. At this point, all the cheese should be melted. Microwave 30 more seconds until uniform and gloopy (it should look like cheese fondue at this point).
- Alternatively, you can melt the cheese in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add the rest of the dough ingredients and the cheese to a food processor. Mix using the dough blade until a uniform color. If you do not have a food processor you can mix in a medium bowl with a wooden spoon but you may need to dump it onto wax paper and knead it by hand to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients. Once it is a uniform color wet your hands, divide the dough into 12 pieces, and press them out into 12 circles on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Put the ingredients for the pecan butter in the food processor and process until smooth. Divide between the circles of dough. Fold up two edges of each circle as shown in the photographs. Sprinkle with remaining chopped pecans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.