Muddy Buddy Trail Mix makes the chocolaty peanut buttery goodness of the famous Chex Muddy Buddies low carb, grain free, and sugar-free.
Muddy Buddy Trail Mix – Low Carb, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, THM S
I’ve seen recipes floating around for making this with pork rinds but I am not that adventurous. Using nuts and coconut seemed much safer.
If you are not a coconut fan you can make this with all nuts BUT you really can’t taste the coconut that much. The chocolate and peanut butter hides a lot of the coconut flavor.
I’ve loved Muddy Buddies since I was a teenager. One of the boys would show up to youth group with two gallon-sized Ziploc bags full. I thought his mom was amazing. I had no idea how simple they were to make. There were many youth group nights that I would eat that deliciousness by the handful.
I took the classic melted chocolate and peanut butter Chex topping and made it sugar-free and then poured it onto a mix of nuts and coconut. It has the flavor and the crunch of regular Muddy Buddies but none of the grains and a lot less of the carbs.
See how easy this delicious treat is:
I store this in the fridge but it is fine to leave it at room temperature for a few days. Sometimes after making it I divide it into small baggies so I can grab one and go. And the help with portion control.
- 7 oz unsweetened chocolate or 85% dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup peanut butter without added sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or my sweetener, finely ground
- 3 cups nuts I use 3/4 cup each almonds, walnuts, pecans, and peanuts (or 3 cups of the nuts of your choice)
- 3 cups coconut flakes
- In a medium bowl melt the chocolate and the butter or oil in the microwave. I melt chocolate in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds. You can do this on the stove top over low heat if you prefer.
- Stir in the peanut butter, vanilla, and sweetener.
- In a large bowl mix the nuts and coconut. Pour the chocolate mixture over the nuts and coconut. Stir well. Spread onto a large baking sheet lined with waxed paper or parchment paper. Sprinkle half the topping over the trail mix.
- Refrigerate until firm. Sprinkle the rest of the topping over the trail mix and mix well. Break up any large pieces. Store in the fridge.