These healthy brownies are rich, decadent, and sinfully delicious. If you are looking for a fudgy brownie that’s moist and flavorful, then you have met your match. Chocoholics everywhere will be talking about this amazing brownie in a skillet.
Healthy Brownies – Low Carb, Keto, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, THM S, Dairy-Free
When I first started to eat gluten-free and low carb, I wondered how I was going to get through those days when I craved something really chocolatey. Was I going to have to live without my beloved chocolate forever? I was determined to find some recipes to fulfill me without making me feel guilty or like I was giving something up. Plus, I didn’t want something that tasted like chocolate but was lacking flavor.
You guys, I am SO glad to tell you that you don’t have to give up desserts! As a matter of fact, because you aren’t eating processed foods, all the time, desserts actually taste even better than they did! I am excited to share these flourless brownies recipe with you because I am sure you are going to love them as much as I do. You seriously won’t believe that these brownies are healthy when you taste them.
How To Make Healthy Brownies
Step 1: Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Then add the peanut butter and egg to a medium bowl. Stir with a spatula, then add in the cocoa, sweetener, and salt. Stir until it is combined, then add the water. The batter should be smooth, creamy, and thick.
Step 2: Give an 8″ cast ironed skillet a spray of oil and pour in the brownie batter.
Step 3: Place the skillet into the oven for around 17 minutes. After the gluten-free brownies have finished baking, let them cool for 3 minutes. Then serve warm or let them cool at the way. Enjoy!
Healthy Brownies Optional Ideas
These sugar-free brownies are truly delightful just the way they are. I like to toss in a few extra ingredients from time to time for special occasions or when the mood strikes me right. Here are a few of my favorite additions that I think you might enjoy:
- Walnuts – Is a brownie even a brownie without walnuts? Okay, yes, you can absolutely enjoy a healthy brownie without walnuts, but they are sure are delicious with a few. I would start with 1/4 cup so to give it a little flavor and texture.
- Chocolate Chips – Use your favorite chocolate chips and either sprinkle a few on top or add some to the batter. Start out with 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and add more as you wish.
- Cocoa – Sprinkle a dusting of cocoa on top of the brownies after they have cooled. It gives them an elegant look and provides even more flavor to them.
- Cayenne Pepper – If you haven’t tried brownies with cayenne pepper yet, you have been missing out. They really bring out the chocolate flavor and give you a little bit of heat. Don’t put more than 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon, or it will be too overpowering.
- Cinnamon – Add some cinnamon into the brownie batter or sprinkle a little bit on top. It’s a lovely combination with the chocolate. Go with 1/2 teaspoon to get a little bit of spicy flavor.
How Do You Store Healthy Brownies?
This healthy brownie recipe should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Keeping the chocolate brownies in the fridge will keep them from drying out or aging too quickly. They will last around 3 days in the fridge.
Can You Make Brownies Without Baking Soda?
Yes, you can absolutely make healthy brownies without baking soda. I don’t use baking soda or baking powder for this easy brownie recipe. I didn’t want the brownies to rise too much, and the egg is all I needed as a raising agent. Not using baking soda is why these indulgent brownies are so fudgy.
Why Do Brownies Crack?
Unfortunately, brownies will crack when they are baked if you over-stir them. When you stir the batter too much, there will be air bubbles that develop. So, that means when you bake the brownies, the air bubbles pop, which causes the brownies to crack. Don’t worry though, you can simply make a point not to over mix the batter and this problem should be resolved. Plus, they are brownies, so even if you have a batch or two that don’t look amazing, they will still taste fantastic.
How Do I Cut Brownies Cleanly?
Cutting brownies can be a disaster if you don’t take your time with them. The best method I have found is to let them cool until they are almost room temperature. Then take a knife that has been warmed by hot water and begin making your cuts. If you end up with chunks of brownie as you cut, wipe it off and rewarm the knife with each pass. Then place the pan of brownies in the refrigerator to finish cooling. Once they are chilled, then you can carefully remove them from the skillet, and they should look lovely.
If you are still craving desserts, take a look at some of the best dessert recipes on my blog.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups With Ganache Icing
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Chocolate Cupcakes
- Keto Chocolate Cake Bars With Cheesecake Swirl
- Keto Marble Chocolate Cake
These healthy brownies are rich, decadent, and sinfully delicious. If you are looking for a fudgy brownie that's moist and flavorful, then you have met your match. Chocoholics everywhere will be talking about this amazing brownie in a skillet.
- Preheat the oven to 370F
- In a medium bowl with a rubber spatula stir peanut butter and egg, add dry ingredients, stir until it is almost homogenous, add the water to help you get a smoother batter, stir until you have a creamy and thick batter. Use an 8” iron skillet, spray with oil and add brownie batter.
- Bake for 17 minutes or until is no longer wet.
Remove from the oven and let it cool for 3 minutes. Serve warm or cold depending on your preference. Store any leftovers in the fridge.
Serve with your favorite keto ice cream!
*Eggs and water should be room temperature.
*You may use another nut butter or sunbutter, if desired.
To sub in Swerve use 1.5 to 2 times the amount of sweetener called for.