This scrumptious low carb eggplant lasagna recipe packs a punch of flavor and has 3 different kinds of cheese. Once you sink your teeth into the eggplant noodles, marinara sauce and cheesy goodness you aren’t even going to think about classic lasagna again. It’s that good!
When we first began eating low carb and gluten-free, we thought the days were long gone of eating traditional foods we love. Thankfully, I have played with this easy eggplant lasagna enough that it has become a household favorite. It actually tastes way better than the old stuff.
I feel like once you start eating healthy foods all the time, you get to really enjoy and taste your food so much more. I serve this to friends who aren’t keto, and they begged me for the recipe, so I would say it’s a huge hit.
What Is Keto Eggplant Lasagna?
This healthy eggplant lasagna is a recipe that was made to replicate the traditional Italian lasagna recipes, but it’s low carb. Due to all the healthy ingredients, it fits many different diets and lifestyles. You don’t have to be on a keto diet to enjoy these wonderful flavors.
How To Make Keto Eggplant Lasagna
Step 1: Salt the eggplant and place in a colander in the sink for 20 minutes.
Step 2: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Step 3: After you rinse and dry eggplant slices, bake them for 10-20 minutes. Flip halfway through.
Step 4: While the eggplant is baking, brown ground beef in a skillet. Add in seasonings, salt, and pepper.
Step 5: Combine ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
Step 6: Begin layers by placing ⅓ of the marinara sauce in the bottom of a greased loaf pan.
Step 7: Then add a layer of eggplant slices over the sauce.
Step 8: Add about half of the meat mixture over the eggplant layer.
Step 9: Spread half of the cheese mixture over the meat.
Step 10: Repeat steps 6-9 one more time.
Step 11: Top with remaining marinara and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
Step 12: Cover dish with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and continue baking for 15 additional minutes. Allow it to cool 10 minutes before serving.
Healthy Eggplant Lasagna Variations
I love everything about my yummy eggplant lasagna, but don’t be afraid to add in some additional flavors if you want to. Here are a few ideas to try out:
- Garlic - Roast some garlic with a little bit of olive oil and add into the sauce. You can add as much or as little as you like.
- Onions - Chop up some white or yellow onions and add them to the meat mixture. So good!
- Peppers - Finely dice up some green, red or yellow peppers. They add a lovely flavor and color to the keto lasagna.
- Mushrooms - The earthy and hearty flavors of mushrooms are perfect for this dish.
Why Is Eggplant Lasagna Watery?
If you ended up with watery eggplant lasagna odds are the sliced eggplant should have sat longer. As it sits with salt, there will be water that leaks out of it. If you don’t allow it to sit long enough, then it may seep out when it’s baking which will result in a watery lasagna.
How To Store The Best Keto Lasagna?
You should store any leftover healthy lasagna in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It’s essential to let it properly cool before you put it away. Otherwise, condensation will develop, and it will cause it to be extra watery or mushy. It will last 2-3 days in the fridge.
Can I Freeze Keto Eggplant Lasagna?
Yes, absolutely you can freeze this keto lasagna recipe. I find I get best results when I put it in individual servings, but you can freeze the entire thing too. Wrap it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, because it will keep it protected. Then place in an airtight container. It will last 1-2 months in the freezer. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before heating up and serving.
How To Reheat Eggplant Lasagna?
You can always heat eggplant lasagna in the microwave by covering it with a damp paper towel and warming for 1-minute intervals. Just heat it until it’s hot enough. Another option is to heat it in the oven at 350 degrees. It usually takes 15-20 minutes in the oven.
What To Serve With Healthy Eggplant Lasagna?
While this eggplant lasagna is out of this world amazing and actually makes a pretty fantastic stand-alone recipe, sometimes it’s nice to add some side dishes to it. Try some of these ideas to complete your dinner table:
- Italian Salad - I love the flavors of this salad, and it’s super refreshing. Pairs beautifully with the keto lasagna.
- Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms With Sundried Tomatoes - All I can tell you is that these are heavenly!
- Braided Garlic Breadsticks - Is it even possible to eat Italian food without some type of garlic bread? Yum!
- Grilled Asparagus - Add some extra healthy nutrients to your meal and your taste buds will thank you.
- Place the sliced eggplant in a colander over the sink. Salt the eggplant, and leave it to sit and drain for 20 minutes or so.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and dry the eggplant slices. Place them on a rack on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes, flipping them over halfway through baking.
- Brown the ground beef completely in a skillet on the stove. Add in the oregano, garlic powder, basil as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, cottage cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Stirring to combine completely.
- Layer ⅓ of the marinara sauce in the bottom of a greased loaf pan.
- Place a layer of eggplant slices over the sauce.
- Put half of the meat mixture over the eggplant layer.
- Spread half of the cheese mixture over the meat.
- Repeat steps 6-9 one more time.
- Place one more layer of the remaining ⅓ of the marinara sauce on top of the mixture, and top it with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake the mixture covered with tin foil at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, and then uncover, baking for an additional 15 minutes uncovered. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.