These Almond Crunch Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies melt in your mouth like shortbread, have the crunch of almonds, and the richness of chocolate ganache. They are the perfect holiday bite. This easy keto cookie recipe is also low carb, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
Hello, cookies! I (somewhat crazily) decided to try to post 12 new cookie recipes between December 7th and Christmas back in 2016. These Almond Crunch Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies were the first. Now, in 2020, I honestly can't remember if I hit my goal of a whole dozen new cookie recipes but I think I came close. To date here at JFE I have 37 different unique low carb cookie recipes.
I began baking at around 9 am on cookie day 1 and baked nonstop until noon. I skipped breakfast and taste-tested along the way. That is one of the challenges of being a food blogger. There are just too many yummy things to taste. Cookies for breakfast happen a bit more than they should.
How to Make Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
First Step: Chop the almonds and sweetener for the topping in a food processor. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
Second Step: Combine the dough ingredients in a food processor and process until they come together in a ball. This can take 2-3 minutes on high. Don't worry, the dough will come together.
Third Step: Divide the dough into 24 pieces and roll each in the chopped almond mixture. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and make a well in the center using your thumb. Sprinkle with a little more chopped almonds. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
Fourth Step: Make the ganache by heating the chocolate chips and cream for 30 seconds in the microwave. Stir until the chips are completely melted. If necessary, microwave longer at 15-second intervals.
Fifth Step: Fill the cooled cookies with ganache and sprinkle with the remaining chopped almonds. Press the almonds down gently so they stick.
Variations on Thumbprint Cookies
You can just make these as almond crunch cookies without any filling. They are delicious just like that. Sprinkle them with a little powdered sweetener and serve with a cup of tea.
If Jam Thumbprints are more your thing don't worry. You can click on my recipe for the classic Jam Thumbprints.
And try my new take on this recipe: Keto Almond Shortbread Cookies
I hope these chocolate thumbprint cookies will find their way onto your next cookie tray!
- ⅓ cup sugar free chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the ⅔ cup sliced almonds and 2 tsp sweetener in a food processor and pulse into chopped. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Next, combine all the dough ingredients in the food processor and pulse until a uniform dough forms. Divide into 24 balls and roll each in the almond topping. Put on a parchment lined baking sheet and press down making a little well with your thumbs. Sprinkle a little more almond topping on each.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Stir. Heat for another 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat until the chocolate has melted. Stir until smooth.
- Divide the chocolate ganache between the thumbprint cookies. Sprinkle with a little more of the chopped almonds.
Originally Published December 7, 2016. Revised and Republished November 11, 2020.