This meaty, savory keto Shepherd's Pie Recipe is perfect to make now that Fall is almost upon us. I know that you and your whole family will enjoy this recipe. It's so delicious, even non-keto dieters will ask for seconds! This easy comfort food recipe is low carb, keto, gluten-free, grain-free, sugar-free, and Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
Hey there! I'm Sarah from the low-carb recipe blog, Green & Keto. I serve up recipes made with keto-friendly ingredients that are fresh, vibrant, and most importantly -- super delicious.
Through my recipes, meal plans, and free guides, I'm here to show you how to live more healthfully -- while making every dish feel like a total indulgence.
I believe that good food is the key to staying on plan, and I want to help you live your most delicious life.
So, if you are looking for a hearty and comforting dinner recipe, look no further. I'm so excited to share this low-carb makeover of one of my all-time favorite casserole recipes - Shepherd's Pie.
What is in Shepherd's Pie?
Shepherd's pie is a traditional dish that most likely originated in Scotland or northern England. It was a recipe developed to use leftover pieces of roast meat. It is usually called "shepherd's pie" when made with lamb because a shepherd looks after sheep.
Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with ground lamb. However, I used ground beef in this low carb version because my family prefers it, and it is easier for me to find. This is normally called Cottage Pie. That said, if you love lamb and are able to find it in your local grocery store, please feel free to substitute it for the ground beef.
Making Keto Shepherd's Pie
Traditional shepherd's pie is a casserole made with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables in a savory gravy. Then, the meat is topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are browned.
This keto shepherd's pie is made with mashed cauliflower topping instead of the mashed potatoes. "Cauli mash" is a great low carb or Trim Healthy Mama alternative to mashed potatoes -- and is just as delicious. I like to use cheddar cheese in my cauliflower for a boost of flavor.
What goes with Low Carb Shepherd's Pie?
This dish is almost a full meal in itself. Meat, veggies, and cauliflower mash come together to make a satisfying meal.
If you are looking to make something to accompany it, I'd suggest garlic broccoli or a simple side salad.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this up to 2 days ahead of time. Make the meat mixture and mashed cauliflower and assemble the keto shepherds pie casserole. When you are ready to serve it bake it as directed.
Ground Beef mixture
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb ground beef or lamb
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté on medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the ground beef and cook, stirring frequently, until it is browned and cooked through.
- Add the zucchini and tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- In a large pot, add cauliflower to boiling water. Boil the cauliflower until soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain the cauliflower, allowing all steam to escape. Dry cauliflower will help make a creamier mash.
- Transfer the drained cauliflower to a food processor. Add the butter, cream, shredded cheese, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Place the ground beef mixture in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Top with the mashed cauliflower.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes and until the filling is bubbly and the topping is browned